looking for private food tours in Mediterranean

chocchic

When we travel we enjoy learning about the locale through the food that is eaten and served. Love going to local markets as well as restaurants of all types - hole in the wall as well as white linen. Does anyone have recommendations for a local guide in the Tuscany area? We dock in Livorno and would love to check out the countryside. We'll also be visiting Sicily, Athens, Santorini, Barcelona with time for foodie oriented tours as well.

Thanks all

Hello I'm sorry I dont know any guides.Athens, visit the Agora market, their are some authentic restaurants at the bottom of the veg market.For pud visit Despina for Mille Feuille and take a box back to the ship http://www.nileguide.com/destination/blog/athens/2011/12/24/best-dessert-spots/

Barcelona the Mercat de sant Joseph on La Rambla a short walk up from the dock is amazing and has wonderful cafes, they look rough but the food id great. Walk up to El corte Inglais, the food hall is nearly as good as Harrods.

Look out for the Marzipan shops they are wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Curious, what is a Marzipan shop. When I was a kid my Mom decorated cakes and made these crazy Marzipan candies that were in the shape of fruits. Then she kept them in the frig for years after. Funny memory.

Pam

Thanks for the info. Curious, what is a Marzipan shop. When I was a kid my Mom decorated cakes and made these crazy Marzipan candies that were in the shape of fruits. Then she kept them in the frig for years after. Funny memory.

Pam

They are sweet shops that specialize in what your mum did, they also sell all sorts of other Marzipan sweets and Turron.

Archived