helmet walk in cozumel

chased

Although I do not understand how people who can not swim are willing to submerge themselves under water, I've seen several posts from non-swimmers who did a helmet dive and enjoyed it.

For example:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1161396&highlight=helmet+can+swim

One of the helmet dive outfits states on their site: "You need no lessons or swimming ability..."

This thread has details on the option available in Cozumel and again states no ability to swim is required:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23622575

Total cost is around $120.

We've done the helmet dive in Grand Cayman. It was awesome. You do not have to know how to swim, the weight of the helmet keeps you down on the bottom, and the air is circulating the whole time in the helmet. We went down a ladder. Had to take time to clear our ears along the way as the pressure increases as you descend into the water. There was a person from the dive place with is in a helmet as we did our dive, and a person on scuba as a safety measure plus a person who was up in the boat taking care of pumping the air down to us. :D

Although I do not understand how people who can not swim are willing to submerge themselves under water.......

I completely agree. While I very much enjoy scuba diving and am comfortable in/under water, I'm very reluctant to recommend a water based activity such as this to a non-swimmer. It just doesn't seem safe.

Archived