Spencer ambrose beach break or land and sea and beach break?

Harrylinden

We've done both and really enjoyed both tours, so you can't go wrong with either one. We did the beach break though Spencer on our fist visit to St. Lucia in 2013 and in 2015 we did their "land, sea, and beach tour" to see more of St. Lucia, which is gorgeous.

With the beach break, it's about a 45 minute speedboat ride to Jalousie Beach and we got there around 9:30AM and had first picks of the free loungers, which are on the far right side, right in front of the snorkeling area (if looking from beach at water). The beach is gorgeous and set between the Pitons. We've snorkeled at other places while on cruises but we (DH and I) really thought the best snorkeling we've seen is Jalousie Beach. Tons fish and a variety and the coral is so colorful. A home cooked Creole lunch is served buffet style on the beach (very good, btw). There will be unlimited beverages provided (water, coke, diet coke, Piton beer, and rum punch). With the beach break, you'll have 5 hours at the beach, which was what we wanted for plenty of time for snorkeling, swimming, kicking back with a drink, getting pictures and just taking in the scenery. You'll have to be at the dock at 2PM to head back to the ship. On the way back to the ship is where you'll get the sea tour, which is several stops at points of interest and some really great photo opportunities.

We did the land, sea and beach adventure our second time there so we could see more of St. Lucia. Since Spencer was very reliable and had set times for everything, we felt comfortable booking again. We also loved this tour and St. Lucia is gorgeous. For this tour, they pick you up at the ship and take you directly to Soufriere where you get in air conditioned vans for the "land tour" (volcano or mud baths, everyone on our tour chose the volcano), Toraille Falls, banana plantation, and a gorgeous overlook. Most of the hi-lights are right around Soufriere. After the land tour, you'll get back on the speedboat to head to Jalousie Beach, where you'll have two hours. Both times we had our lunch on the beach but I've seen reviews where they'll have the same lunch set up in a local restaurant for the land, sea, beach adventure. I don't know why sometimes is all served on the beach and sometimes the land based tours get lunch in the restaurant, but I'm guessing it has to do with the size of the tours. Both times for us, we were the only ship in port and had smaller tour groups.

Getting back to the ship on time was also our greatest worry. Honestly, our first tour with Spencer was our FIRST ever tour that wasn't booked through the cruise line. I had seen many reviews ahead of our cruise and felt comfortable booking because of the favorable reviews and the fact that they got their tours back to the ships with time to spare. Both times we were back at the ship at around 3:30PM for a back on board time of 4:30PM and ship leaving at 5PM. Whether you do the beach break or the land, sea, and beach, you will all be leaving at the same time, 2PM, from Jalousie Beach. Hope this helps.

Also if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

We've done both and really enjoyed both tours, so you can't go wrong with either one. We did the beach break though Spencer on our fist visit to St. Lucia in 2013 and in 2015 we did their "land, sea, and beach tour" to see more of St. Lucia, which is gorgeous.

With the beach break, it's about a 45 minute speedboat ride to Jalousie Beach and we got there around 9:30AM and had first picks of the free loungers, which are on the far right side, right in front of the snorkeling area (if looking from beach at water). The beach is gorgeous and set between the Pitons. We've snorkeled at other places while on cruises but we (DH and I) really thought the best snorkeling we've seen is Jalousie Beach. Tons fish and a variety and the coral is so colorful. A home cooked Creole lunch is served buffet style on the beach (very good, btw). There will be unlimited beverages provided (water, coke, diet coke, Piton beer, and rum punch). With the beach break, you'll have 5 hours at the beach, which was what we wanted for plenty of time for snorkeling, swimming, kicking back with a drink, getting pictures and just taking in the scenery. You'll have to be at the dock at 2PM to head back to the ship. On the way back to the ship is where you'll get the sea tour, which is several stops at points of interest and some really great photo opportunities.

We did the land, sea and beach adventure our second time there so we could see more of St. Lucia. Since Spencer was very reliable and had set times for everything, we felt comfortable booking again. We also loved this tour and St. Lucia is gorgeous. For this tour, they pick you up at the ship and take you directly to Soufriere where you get in air conditioned vans for the "land tour" (volcano or mud baths, everyone on our tour chose the volcano), Toraille Falls, banana plantation, and a gorgeous overlook. Most of the hi-lights are right around Soufriere. After the land tour, you'll get back on the speedboat to head to Jalousie Beach, where you'll have two hours. Both times we had our lunch on the beach but I've seen reviews where they'll have the same lunch set up in a local restaurant for the land, sea, beach adventure. I don't know why sometimes is all served on the beach and sometimes the land based tours get lunch in the restaurant, but I'm guessing it has to do with the size of the tours. Both times for us, we were the only ship in port and had smaller tour groups.

Getting back to the ship on time was also our greatest worry. Honestly, our first tour with Spencer was our FIRST ever tour that wasn't booked through the cruise line. I had seen many reviews ahead of our cruise and felt comfortable booking because of the favorable reviews and the fact that they got their tours back to the ships with time to spare. Both times we were back at the ship at around 3:30PM for a back on board time of 4:30PM and ship leaving at 5PM. Whether you do the beach break or the land, sea, and beach, you will all be leaving at the same time, 2PM, from Jalousie Beach. Hope this helps.

Also if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you!:D

We booked the land, sea, and beach tour for an upcoming trip....we also have the choice of volcano or mud bath....we chose mud bath.....but I am wondering if you might share the volcano option that you took? Thanks

I actually enjoyed the volcano and that was actually our choice. Everyone hears about volcanoes but it's not every day you get to see one up close and personal. There were two van loads of us on the land, sea and beach tour that day. We were given the choice (volcano/mud baths) when we signed up, but they told us that day and as we arrived that we could change our minds. Everyone in our van wanted to see the volcano, but I don't know if any changed their mind last minute or not.

Our stop was between 20 and 30 minutes. We had a guide that was not part of Spencer's group take us to the viewing areas. She was very knowledgeable about the volcano and told us the history and also explained that it's called "drive in" volcano because even though that one section is steaming/boiling, the whole area is the caldera (including where the mud baths are). The road goes right through the center of it.

You have to go up a large set of steps for the viewing area but they weren't too bad. They have the area that is "venting" fenced off for safety, but we could get a good look from the viewing area behind the fence. That is where the steam is venting and you'll smell it (sulfur). Some compare to rotten eggs, but to me it smelled like firework smoke. There are also areas of water actually boiling, creating steams as well. That water looks like mud (charcoal color), but the color is due to a chemical reaction making it look dark. Once everyone was finished getting pictures, the guide took us up a set of steps and told us more about the general area, including the plants/trees. She also told us about the stream that we crossed over. On one side, before it gets to the volcano, the water is cold, but heats up as it goes through the volcano and is still heated downstream...where the mud baths are.

For pictures, I'll attach a link to the review I did here on CC after our cruise. It should open on Page 21 where the section on the volcano is. The volcano pictures start on Post #404. I do not know what happened to the actual text in this review...it looks like jibberish and I can't even make sense of it and I wrote it (and the reason I did a brief summary above of what it's about). :eek: This only happened since CC changed to the new format and it might be because I typed it in Word then copied/pasted to CC when I did the review. But the pictures haven't changed. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573&highlight=liberty&page=21

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thank you so much for the great detail. It is really very helpful. Sounds like a fantastic experience and sure gives much more clarity on the two options!!

Did you reconnect with those who did the mud baths, and what they felt about their experience?

I have a feeling that the options are both wins!!!

Thank you so much for the great detail. It is really very helpful. Sounds like a fantastic experience and sure gives much more clarity on the two options!!

Did you reconnect with those who did the mud baths, and what they felt about their experience?

I have a feeling that the options are both wins!!!

You are very welcome. Actually, no one that was in our van did the mud baths. There were two van loads, so others in the other van may have opted for the mud bath, but we never never ran into anyone else in our group that day who did it. I will copy and paste a link to a review that was done by Valentinebaby1 in 2013. We've gotten to know each other and cruised together on the latest cruise we were on in which my DH and I did Spencer's tour and saw the volcano. On their cruise in 2013, they were with another tour group (not Spencer's) and she opted for the volcano but her hubby did the mud baths. I do remember her telling me before that latest cruise if we did do the mud baths, she recommended old bathing suits and clothes since the mud was "stinky". I had seen it mentioned in other reviews that the mud smelled but many really do seem to enjoy the mud bath and mention it being a lot of fun. I have no first hand experience myself. But from everything I do know, I'd expect to get stinky and would wear a bathing suit and clothes/cover up that weren't favorites.

In her review, she didn't go into detail about the mud baths since she didn't do it, but she mentions the stinky mud. Link to her review, which should open on Page 9 (where their tour in St. Lucia is covered) and the post that starts with mud baths/volcano is Post #166. Hope this helps. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1931793&highlight=valor&page=9

You're welcome and happy to help. :)

I did the mud baths a couple of years ago, because I'm a great fan of all kinds of hot springs; I expect them to be stinky. The Soufriere mud baths are stinky, muddy and very hot - too hot for me to get right in, although I did see some people who managed it. I found a shallow spot and lathered the mud on, waded and splashed.

There are outdoor showers to rinse off in, but the mud is very sticky/oily. No soap available that I saw, and that's reasonable. Why should they provide soap for free? As well, the showers are open and public, so you can't peel off and rinse everywhere the mud collected. As a result, I rode back in the van sticky and reeking of sulphur, which my van-mates (who were too chicken to get into the water) did not appreciate. Back on board, it took a very long soapy shower to get all the mud off, and I was very glad I hadn't put it in my hair. I could not get it out from under my fingernails, however, and had to buy a stiff nail brush at the next port to work on those.

So, ....not my favourite hot springs experience. Don't wear a favourite bathing suit!

• 2 weeks later...

We only did the beach break (hubby's decision, but next time we'll pick the mud bath or falls or something added to it) and we absolutely had the best day ever!

Check out my review link in my signature line. There's HUNDREDS of pictures in it of the beach and snorkeling. It had the most amazing snorkeling ever!

• 2 months later...

Curious - do you think this tour would be good for a family with small kiddos? I see that he has pricing for it, but I can't find any reviews where someone actually took their kids on it. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Curious - do you think this tour would be good for a family with small kiddos? I see that he has pricing for it, but I can't find any reviews where someone actually took their kids on it. Thanks!!

How old are your kids? If they are school age (kindergarten and up), I think it would be a great tour. I've seen reviews on the Carnival boards where families have taken kids, but don't recall any reviews where someone had young toddlers with them on the tour. I don't have kids myself, but I was one once and will admit I may have been a little bored at age four or younger, but know I'd have loved it when I was about 5 or older.

I wouldn,t suggest taking kids on this tour.Too many drunk idiots on the way back,jumping out of the boat 2 times when they wern,t suppose too:mad:. Showing off and the Look at me I,m more important than you are!!! SMDH

I wouldn,t suggest taking kids on this tour.Too many drunk idiots on the way back,jumping out of the boat 2 times when they wern,t suppose too:mad:. Showing off and the Look at me I,m more important than you are!!! SMDH

I'm sure that can happen on any tour (Spencers', Cosols', cruise line sponsored tours, etc.), but we've toured with Spencer both times we were in St. Lucia and that has never been our experience. Yes, there were people drinking, but no one has gotten out of control in any way on the way back and we've never had anyone jump out of the boat. I can see that possibly happening on cruises around spring break on ANY tour, but I don't think it's the "norm". What we really appreciated with Spencer's tour was that many of us were getting pictures of the sights and he made sure all of us were able to get the pictures we wanted by turning the boat around so that people on both sides of the boat were able to get good pictures.

Spencer Ambrose has great tours, they provide for a very enjoyable day, and are also very reliable. But my comments to ZachMary, weren't based on fellow passengers, it was more because it can be a longer day and very small kids could become bored/tired and cranky.

Spencer Ambrose has great tours, they provide for a very enjoyable day, and are very reliable. I was worried also about getting back in time. There was no problem! ( I also found a review of Ambrose that their boat broke down on the way back to ship and another boat was t to their rescue in less than 15 minutes.) They do have several boats...when we left the beach in May 2017, there were 4 boats picking everyone up. It was our favorite excursion of all 7 of our cruises. Land, Sea, Beach

• 1 month later...

For those that have done this tour with Spencer...my biggest concern is the speedboats! I was thinking of possibly a catamaran sail to the Pitons, but would love to see more of the sights on land and do the beach stop. Concerned about the speedboats and seasickness and how rough the water might be. Anyone have any insights on this?

For those that have done this tour with Spencer...my biggest concern is the speedboats! I was thinking of possibly a catamaran sail to the Pitons, but would love to see more of the sights on land and do the beach stop. Concerned about the speedboats and seasickness and how rough the water might be. Anyone have any insights on this?

I'm prone to motion sickness and will even feel the effects on a ship on smooth seas when you really can't even feel any motion but I've never gotten sea sick on a speedboat. But that can vary for everyone, some can feel it on a speedboat and be fine on a ship. Both times we've been to St. Lucia and been in Spencer's speedboat, the water was on the calmer side. The water wasn't "flat calm", but far from being rough. But it is really hard to know from day to day what the water will be like because the seas can change from day to day and for many reasons. Some of the smoothest seas we've seen was our cruise were two years ago, during the middle of September (at the peak hurricane season). Some of the choppiest seas (and I sure felt it on the ship) were a cruise we did in April. When in St. Lucia on Spencer's tours, you will be on St. Lucia's Caribbean (calmer) side. But that would be a tough call.

Do you get motion sickness or were you just asking if it's possible on a speedboat? The two times we've been on the speedboat on Spencer's tours, we have not seen anyone get motion sickness. As I said, I'm prone to it, but for some reason speedboats don't bother me so I've never felt it myself. I do take Dramamine, non-drowsy (over the counter), for cruise ships' motion but haven't needed it for a speedboat. Are you just asking in general or do you get motion sickness? If so, is it bad? Do motion sickness meds or patches help?

I'm prone to motion sickness and will even feel the effects on a ship on smooth seas when you really can't even feel any motion but I've never gotten sea sick on a speedboat. But that can vary for everyone, some can feel it on a speedboat and be fine on a ship. Both times we've been to St. Lucia and been in Spencer's speedboat, the water was on the calmer side. The water wasn't "flat calm", but far from being rough. But it is really hard to know from day to day what the water will be like because the seas can change from day to day and for many reasons. Some of the smoothest seas we've seen was our cruise were two years ago, during the middle of September (at the peak hurricane season). Some of the choppiest seas (and I sure felt it on the ship) were a cruise we did in April. When in St. Lucia on Spencer's tours, you will be on St. Lucia's Caribbean (calmer) side. But that would be a tough call.

Do you get motion sickness or were you just asking if it's possible on a speedboat? The two times we've been on the speedboat on Spencer's tours, we have not seen anyone get motion sickness. As I said, I'm prone to it, but for some reason speedboats don't bother me so I've never felt it myself. I do take Dramamine, non-drowsy (over the counter), for cruise ships' motion but haven't needed it for a speedboat. Are you just asking in general or do you get motion sickness? If so, is it bad? Do motion sickness meds or patches help?

I usually take Bonine for the cruise ship and have never gotten sick. We have done sailboats, also with the bonine, and never got sick. I've been on a fishing charter boat in lake Michigan, and the waters were rough, and I was a little green...even with the bonine. So, I guess I was just looking for opinions on the speedboat. My husband seems to think that the motion would be less on a speedboat, since you go fast enough to go "over" the waves, so I guess that's what we will hope for! I think his tour sounds fabulous, so I really want to do it!

I usually take Bonine for the cruise ship and have never gotten sick. We have done sailboats, also with the bonine, and never got sick. I've been on a fishing charter boat in lake Michigan, and the waters were rough, and I was a little green...even with the bonine. So, I guess I was just looking for opinions on the speedboat. My husband seems to think that the motion would be less on a speedboat, since you go fast enough to go "over" the waves, so I guess that's what we will hope for! I think his tour sounds fabulous, so I really want to do it!

I have to laugh when you mentioned the charter boat in lake Michigan. It's been close to 20 years ago now, but a group of friends went in on a fishing charter on the Chesapeake Bay. The water was choppy but not what I'd call rough. I took Dramamine about an hour before we went out, just in case. They took us out to a spot a few miles out where we were "bottom fishing", so the boat was just out there rocking while we were fishing. After a couple of hours I was more than a little green...and so were a good quarter of our group. We were so happy when it was time to go back that day. The only other times I've "felt green" have been on cruise ships, but it's when I've forgotten to take the Dramamine. I know that feeling and it hits kind of suddenly, so I'll take the Dramamine ASAP and in a half hour, good to go. I've been on speedboats many times, have never taken any Dramamine/other motion sickness med and have never had an issue. I think your husband nailed it with his explanation. :) But I really enjoyed Spencer's tour and next time we get back there (already twisting DH's arm to to another cruise out of San Juan...2018???), we're doing the beach break again.

I take Bonine as well, and am more concerned with the windy roads in a van than I am with a speedboat from a motion sickness standpoint. So I will take the Bonine and cover both basis!! Also take some ginger - it's a great back up m

You're doing the land, sea, and beach adventure, right? I never had a problem in the vans. Since there were several stops, and they were all fairly close, we weren't really spending a lot of time in the vans. But I don't want to tell you not to take anything, just in case.