Budget friendly breakfast in Sydney

M&Dcruisers

I will be in Sydney for several days pre-cruise in December and will be staying at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. The hotels web site says that a continental breakfast is $25 per person. I find the price a little steep. Does anyone know a cheaper breakfast place near the Sir Stamford? Thanks.

That was a nice link - I appreciate it! Our mornings will be a bridge climb and then Blue Mountains so packing granola may be all we have time for. Cool lunch and dinner options....a restaurant made of ice (Minus 5)? What fun!

Karen

That was a nice link - I appreciate it! Our mornings will be a bridge climb and then Blue Mountains so packing granola may be all we have time for. Cool lunch and dinner options....a restaurant made of ice (Minus 5)? What fun!

Karen

You will also find tea and coffee plus an electric kettle, cups etc and usually UHT milk to make your own coffee etc in your room. This is standard in Australian hotels, following the British tradition. We tend to warm up with morning coffee , perhaps having picked up some pastries, muesli bars or cookies the day before and enjoy morning tea or brunch later in the day.

You will also find tea and coffee plus an electric kettle, cups etc and usually UHT milk to make your own coffee etc in your room. This is standard in Australian hotels, following the British tradition. We tend to warm up with morning coffee , perhaps having picked up some pastries, muesli bars or cookies the day before and enjoy morning tea or brunch later in the day.

We do much the same thing...Brew tea/coffee in the room, then munch on some fruit and pastries we picked up locally. Works quite well!

I will be in Sydney for several days pre-cruise in December and will be staying at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. The hotels web site says that a continental breakfast is $25 per person. I find the price a little steep. Does anyone know a cheaper breakfast place near the Sir Stamford? Thanks.

Flash hotel = flash prices:(

Can i suggest the AMP Centre food court in the street behind the hotel (Phillip St). There is also a TA, Newsagency, Grocery Store and Drug Store (Chemist) there. Not open weekends though.

Alternatively, try walking down to the Ferry Terminals at Circular Quay - also almost just behind the hotel. Try any of the cafe's at the terminals or City Extra for slightly nicer surroundings with a view or just people watching.

http://www.cityextra.com.au/MenusCircularQuayBreakfastSpecials/628/n/3/0/0/

The main Cruise Terminal is right near Circular Quay which is a big rail/ferry interchange on the harbour . Just walk inland on any of the main streets and you will find smaller cafes open for breakfast at reasonable prices . These places open around 0600 to cater for the Office workers pouring into the CBD off ferries and trains at Circular Quay (ferries) and its overhead railway station (trains.)

This has nothing to do with Australia - but I posted a question to you on an Amawaterways board re: luggage. Can you please tell me if your wheeled carry-on bags were taken in Lyon so that you didn't have to roll them around before and during the cooking demo?? :)

Thanks a million in advance. This is causing all of us stress............

Wanted to mention that if you're in Sydney pre-cruise, there's a really good Italian restaurant with tables outside - right next to the pier and it has a wonderful view of the Opera house!

Also noticed your review of Chile - glad you enjoyed it without any problems. My husband & I and 4 others were there in Feb 2010 just in time to be 45 miles from the epicenter of the 8.8 earthquake. Lucky to get out alive and it put a whole new perspective on travel!! Saw only a smattering of Chile - people were wonderful - airport in shambles so were processed in tents on the tarmac and we were on the first flight out 5 days later!

What reasonable breakfast place does anyone recommend in the QVB?

The cafes on the ground floor and above are generally more expensive than those on the floor below - underground and usually without table service, catering for the workers picking up coffee and pastries etc to go after their commute. Its queue and grab a seat if you are lucky at busy times. Prices are displayed so you can wander past and shop around. I like the Yama cafe on the top floor - cheaper than others on the higher levels but better for tea and a quirky English breakfast, the quick eat and run places down below and the ground floor cafes for better coffee and pastries. Wide price range.

• 3 weeks later...
This has nothing to do with Australia - but I posted a question to you on an Amawaterways board re: luggage. Can you please tell me if your wheeled carry-on bags were taken in Lyon so that you didn't have to roll them around before and during the cooking demo?? :)

Thanks a million in advance. This is causing all of us stress............

JMS,

We just returned from a fabulous Vantage China trip. I cannot find your post, so I will answer it here.

We didn't have the carryon bags with us for the cooking demo. I usually carry a large backpack and a smaller cloth brief case with all the important stuff. I don't remember having to deal with either. I seem to recall leaving them on the bus, although I may have kept the briefcase. I don't remember having a huge hassle. We even walked to the boat from the town square after the demo.

hello m&d cruisers,

we used to live in sydney,'DO NOT BUY BREAKY AT THE HOTEL'.if your looking for a cheaper breaky,the afternoon or evening you are walking around on your arrival into sydney,just pop your head in the door of any cafe or eatery and ask if they do a breaky,there are heaps of places all over sydney where you can can a nice bacon and egg breaky with coffee or tea for around 10-12 ausd.

we arrive into sydney on the 13th december from bangkok on the diamond princess

keep cruisin

Pancakes on the rocks is good. Good food for a good price and near OPT.

http://www.pancakesontherocks.com.au/locations

Katana, or anyone else that can answer: I noticed that on their menu, as with the menus of other eateries in Sydney, there doesn't appear to be any brewed coffee listed. Is there an equivalent to North American style brewed coffee (like Starbucks), perhaps called by some other name in Australia? Thanks!

Not sure what you're talking about. Pancakes on the rocks, like Starbucks here, has Italian style coffees like practically everywhere else. Cappuccino, expresso e tc. you want coffee from a jug rather than expresso then the only places I can think that would have that would be petrol stations (bad ones, a lot have machines now) or McDonalds.and even Mc Donald's here does expresso style with McCafe, which was invented here.

We're rather cosmopolitan with our coffee.

Katana, or anyone else that can answer: I noticed that on their menu, as with the menus of other eateries in Sydney, there doesn't appear to be any brewed coffee listed. Is there an equivalent to North American style brewed coffee (like Starbucks), perhaps called by some other name in Australia? Thanks!

I presume you mean regular filtered coffee like on the ship. These are generally available if you ask for it. McDonalds have both regular and Espresso coffee. Most coffee here is Italian espresso style. Coffee comes with milk, not cream.

Starbucks is not that popular is Australia but there are several in Sydney.

Espresso coffee is available at nearly every second store! we are big coffee drinkers. A popular milk based coffee is called a Latte (hence Lattetudes Cafe on RCL ships)

Pancakes on the rocks is good. Good food for a good price and near OPT.

http://www.pancakesontherocks.com.au/locations

I'm glad you posted this. As I was reading this thread I was trying to remember the name of the wonderful pancake place we found, and this is it. We ate there last winter and loved it. Our ship had an overnight in Sydney at the end of our cruise, and a few of the crew we knew said they had time off and were going to party. I suggested they visit the pancake restaurant on the way back for an early sober-up breakfast--it's open 24/7.

They did have "filter" coffee. It didn't taste like Starbucks (thank heaven!), we liked it. We are not espresso drinkers, but we did notice that restaurants usually offered all the variations on coffee that most people have come to expect.

Did you book your room direct, as they have a deal where you can get a continental breakfast for an extra $2?

This is from their website:

Your Summer Saver package includes Luxury overnight accommodation continental breakfast for two for only 2 dollars PLUS either complimentary self parking OR a 20 dollar Food and Beverage credit per room per day.

I presume you mean regular filtered coffee like on the ship. These are generally available if you ask for it. McDonalds have both regular and Espresso coffee. Most coffee here is Italian espresso style. Coffee comes with milk, not cream.

Starbucks is not that popular is Australia but there are several in Sydney.

Espresso coffee is available at nearly every second store! we are big coffee drinkers. A popular milk based coffee is called a Latte (hence Lattetudes Cafe on RCL ships)

I'm sorry, I should have referred to filtered coffee, which is what meant. Thanks for setting me straight. In Canada, the majority of coffee drinkers consume filtered coffee, helping to make one local chain of coffee houses hugely popular, and now expanding into the United States. We have 2 other large chains that offer a variety of flavoured filtered coffee. Most of us find expresso, and even cappucino and lattes, just too strong. The problem we find is its very hard to find the coffee type we like when we travel anywhere outside of North America.

The menu at Pancakes on the Rocks looks great, and we're looking forward to trying it out when we visit in January. Thanks for your remarks!

Archived