Regent Cruise Line??

Hobar

Hello fellow Seabourners,

Most of you, like me, adore Seabourn, although I have limited experience on other cruise lines. That said, has anyone ever been on Regent? I ask because I just received a booklet and went on-line and it looks quite nice as far as amenities, suites, restaurants, all-inclusive, etc. - all seem similar to the Seabourn model. There are some other itineraries, and I know that is one factor in selecting a cruise, but I would like to hear from fellow Seabourn cruisers who have been on Regent what your thoughts are about Regent?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Edited by Hobar

You will NEVER get me on Regent until they do away with the included excursions. Hobar, you mention all inclusiveness as one of the things you like but remember that included does not mean free. You are paying a hefty premium for the excursions up front in a higher fare whether you want to take them or not. Personally, I do not like ships' tours so it's a complete waste of money. Therefore I also resent their current comparison where they show that they are less expensive if you include what you would pay for excursions on Seabourn. Not to mention that the excursions they include are basic ones. Anything really good costs extra on Regent too. Of course, they neglect to mention that.

We have done several cruises on Regent Voyager - before they included the excursions - and apart from the fact that to get your money's worth you would have to go on lots of them, bear in mind that 700 passengers is a lot more than 450, and to my mind the cost always works out as a lot more per diem than Seabourn and is not worth the difference.

Also the rapport between staff and passengers is not quite what it is on Seabourn. Having said all that, it is still a very nice line, but no longer for us.

Hello fellow Seabourners,

Most of you, like me, adore Seabourn, although I have limited experience on other cruise lines. That said, has anyone ever been on Regent? I ask because I just received a booklet and went on-line and it looks quite nice as far as amenities, suites, restaurants, all-inclusive, etc. - all seem similar to the Seabourn model. There are some other itineraries, and I know that is one factor in selecting a cruise, but I would like to hear from fellow Seabourn cruisers who have been on Regent what your thoughts are about Regent?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

EXCELLENT SMOKING POLICY

Balconys - Public Areas - Not Allowed

The last time we were on a Regent cruise was 7 years ago. We had noticed that the service and food quality had steadily gone down hill over our last few cruises..... The straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was when we had to clear a table ourselves in order to sit and eat breakfast. Many of the tables were empty but had not been cleared and prepared for incoming guests. It was obvious to us that they were lacking in an adequate number of staff.

SB is our preferred cruise line. We do take Regent as a fallback cruise line.

Comparing SB with Regent depends on one's expectations. In our opinion, comparing them is somewhat akin to comparing SB's original 3 little sister ships with their Odyssey class ships or, the newer larger Odyssey class ships to come on SB.

SB and Regent each in our experience, have a list of things we like that the other doesn't do as well.

Regent includes airfare and pre-cruise hotel. You can get a reduced cabin quote without the air, hotel and transfers if you choose to make your own arrangements. Closer to cruise time, we've found Regent willing to take offers (through our agent) for un-booked cabins making the 'all inclusive' Regent cruise on par or less expensive than SB's cabin fees.

In our opinion; the Regent shore excursion operators are more akin to the kind Holland America uses and are not as upscale as SB's. Regent will be a big bus excursion versus the usual micro bus SB excursions. But the Regent shore excursions are still very good.

Regent is not as an intimate and does not offer the personal service cruise as SB does...but SB's service on the Odyssey class ship is not the same nor as personal as it was on their departing Spirit/Legend/Pride ships either.

Regent's nightlife entertainment and guest speakers are far better than SB's. You won't tire of 'Rock the Boat' on Regent if you cruise them twice.

Regent's 'Prime 7' steakhouse is excellent and better than any of the specialty dining venues SB offers on any ship.

Regent's 'Concierge' level of cabin with Butler is much ado about nothing. A cabin boy in a long coat makes no difference. Save the dough and skip this bad act.

Regent is still sailing out of FL (Port of Miami) whilst SB has abandoned FL ports. That mattered to us and was reason we're booked on Regent come January. But that's just us.

Regent's ships carry more passengers than than SB...except for their Navigator which is comparable to an Odyssey class ship. The new SB expanded ships will be closer and more comparable to Regents other ships in size and number of passengers.

SB and Regent are becoming more alike each year...and it's SB who is evolving more into a Regent, than Regent copying or becoming more akin to SB.

Oh yeah; no caviar on Regent without an upcharge...Belgians, beware !

Edited by Kilroyshere

Kilroyshere,

Please clarify how Seabourn is following whatever Regent is doing. Your post offers no clues: Seabourn does not include tours or butlers anywhere.

About Seabourn's new ships out in 2016 and 2017, I think we should reserve judgement how alike they are to Regent ships until they are in service.

Happy sailing!

We cruised with Regent, Barcelona to Mone Carlo on the Mariner last September having been on the Seabourn Quest the previous two years.

in our opinion, Seabourn was better for the design and size of ship and excellence of service.

Entertainment we felt was slightly better on the Quest

Regent food was slightly better although that was marginal.

We feel that Regents destinations are better.

Quality of tours was about the same but of course some not all are included in Regents price

Seabourn suites are better particually the bathrooms.

Generally we felt Seabourn to be a more intimate an welcoming experience although if we had not done them first we would havebeen more than satisfied with Regent.

Chris and Pam

taking maximum excursions to you? If you'll want to be on one (or more) in every port then it may be worth the extra $200-300 per person per day. Regent does have nice business class air upgrade offers at times. We've been 3 times with Regent, one before & the other two after the excursion inclusion. All three were nice but, as many others have noted, not the personalized cruise experience that Seabourn offers. I do, again as others have noted, like the strict non smoking policy in most areas, particularly balconies. It was enforced on the Mariner. A fellow was smoking cigars on a nearby balcony & neighbors complained to management & that put an end to that problem ! Love that feature. Regent did have very good "enrichment" programs on the cruises we've done with them but I suppose that depends on the itinerary. On our last Legend cruise in the Caribbean there were no lectures at all...probably because of the itinerary. We've certainly had excellent ones on European cruises with Seabourn. The food was very comparable as was the "staff entertainment." Suites on the Navigator were a bit larger, if I recall correctly (big "if") than the Mariner. All were nice but not as well appointed, in my very humble opinion, as the larger ships of Seabourn. We would certainly sail with Regent again given the right itinerary at the right price, etc. Isn't it a happy dilemma to face :)

I really wanted to sail on one of the little sisters in the caribbean one last time this winter, but the itineraries and flights did not work for me. As a result, I booked Regent for the first time. The fares seemed comprable to Seabourn and I am thrilled with the added bonus of the excursions offered. At every port there are one or more beach excursions offered and that is what I am looking for in that part of the world. While I loved my two past cruises on Seabourn in the caribbean, I would have enjoyed them even more if they had provided beach transfers at most ports (taxis in the caribbean are a phobie of mine).

I'll post after my return.

Kilroyshere,

Please clarify how Seabourn is following whatever Regent is doing. Your post offers no clues: Seabourn does not include tours or butlers anywhere.

About Seabourn's new ships out in 2016 and 2017, I think we should reserve judgement how alike they are to Regent ships until they are in service.

Happy sailing!

My exact words were: "SB and Regent are becoming more alike each year...and it's SB who is evolving more into a Regent, than Regent copying or becoming more akin to SB."

I cited specific examples in my post how Seabourn with their original, more intimate and personalized service we became accustomed to, loved and enjoyed on their 3 smaller sister ships for decades, gave way to their 3 larger Odyssey class ships which do not offer the original SB experience and is in our opinion, much more Regent like.

I shall not debate that issue of SB's change of service Odyssey class ships v. Legend/Spirit/Pride; That's been debated in many threads here and is an opinion shared by many seasoned SB cruisers.

The Odyssey class ships themselves and, service on board, is much more akin to Regent's level of service, quality, ship size, passengers/crew size.

We suspect adding another 150 passenger or so to the next 2 new SB Odyssey class ships by stacking another deck aboard, will further reduce the original SB service experience and result in an even closer Regent like level of service. It will further reduce what made SB unique from Regent et al. That's our opinion and it's supported by what we saw and experienced when SB went from their 3 little sista' ships to the Odyssey class ship.

And in light of our opinion of SB changing to be more Regent-esque, our post also stated: "SB is our preferred cruise line. We do take Regent as a fallback cruise line."

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Sorry to have troubled you with my question. We have different perspectives and experiences, obviously.

I know nothing of Regent, apart from what I have read. That said, I saw one of their ships last year in Key West and it looked rusty, tired and maybe 20% larger than Odyssey. Maybe it was Regent Voyager?

On another level, I am a big fan of the 450 pax Odyssey class ships over the smaller 205 pax ones. For me it's the facilities e.g. Seabourn Square, the cabins, the generous Colonnade and the 30% more space per passenger. I never got what into what others have noted repeatedly and cherished- that the small ships were more intimate.

Anyway, I take it on trust and belief in Seabourn management that what I like in Odyssey will be protected and enhanced in the new ships' layouts. And if I am right, as I determine what I find, I see no reason to make further inquiries into the Regent line. Also, I admit I am very satisfied with the Seabourn loyalty program too. What's better than Seabourn Diamond benefits?

Happy sailing!

"...I know nothing of Regent, apart from what I have read. That said, I saw one of their ships last year in Key West and it looked rusty, tired and maybe 20% larger than Odyssey. Maybe it was Regent Voyager?

Legend was lookin' pretty shabby just prior to her refit about 13 months ago...yeah, rust stained, broken amenities and the threads are herein to verify that. The service too had lapsed resulting in some SB veteran crew being dismissed and Seattle sending brass aboard to get it ship-shape which was the right thing to do.

Regarding size, passengers, crew comparisons:

Odyssey/Quest/Sojourn and 2 new expected ships: 650' X 84', 450 passengers/605 passengers, crew 335

Regent Navigator: 560' X 81', 490 passengers, crew 340

Regent Voyager/Mariner: 677' X 94'/709' X 93', 700 passengers, crew 447

Alas; you've never sailed Regent by your own admission but only observed a Regent ship in port.

Very telling indeed.

Edited by Kilroyshere

Ummm...SB's former loyalty program that awarded 140 sailing days with 2 weeks comp'd versus the current 1 week comp and a few bags of comp laundry.

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Just a couple of points - and we have done quite a few Regent Voyager cruises, though not since the included excursions came in, as well as now being Diamond on Seabourn.

We get a lot of emails and post with 'offers' from Regent, and though we do look, as we might possibly cruise with them again, we have never yet found a comparable cruise for the sort of price we can get on Seabourn.

Yes, the 'free' cruise is now only one week per 140 days sailed, or 2 weeks for 250 days on Seabourn, (and we just missed out on the two weeks for 140 days!) but do tell me if Regent or any other line gives any free weeks at all? I don't know what 'perks' you now get on Regent for many days sailed, but there are quite a few on Seabourn, and we actually appreciate them.

The original poster, a SB cruiser, made the comment that SB and Regent seemed similar and asked about that.

Having cruised on both lines many times, I believe both are becoming more parallel cruise lines in the market than ever in terms of ships, amenities, passenger/crew size, etc.

Our experiences cruising go back to SB's earliest days as well as Regent's when they were the Song of Flower and Capn' Dag Dvergastein (now with SB), commanded that lovely ship.

That's not saying SB and Regent are the same. They are not. I tried to outline some specific differences in response to the OP herein. We still prefer SB to Regent and have so stated that several times.

Regent offers unlimited shore excursions. SB offers unlimited caviar. Maybe that's important to others, may be not. SB and Regent itineraries are very similar...though Regent sails Alaska and SB to my knowledge does not...again, that may or may not be important to some. Cabin prices fluctuate in different markets and seasons. SB and Regent are closely priced factoring in the shore excursions and, pre-post cruise air/ground/hotel package included on Regent which can be priced excluding them.

Regarding SB's loyalty program, I responded in regards to the statement: "What's better than Seabourn Diamond benefits?" SB's prior loyalty program was in our opinion, better than it is now. Regents 7 Seas loyalty program is more about perks which do have $ value. I'm not arguing Regent's loyalty program is better. But the dilution of SB's program makes the 2 (Regent and SB) more alike and less a factor of difference and distinction when deciding which cruise line to take in our opinion...and we're talking about a 'loyalty' program !

Regent has taken a lot of heat for their non-stop mass mail marketing which cheapened their image in our opinion. My recycle bin had more Regent adverts than any other source of junk mail and 3 notes to Regent and my TA failed to eliminate them. On the Regent forum board, one of their Execs in a thread about that mailing madness, posted his personal e-mail to be removed from that mass mail marketing. We were removed from them thereafter.

These forums ought not be debates. They can be a valuable place to exchange ideas, information, observations and opinions about cruising and helping when choosing a cruise or cruise line.

Cruising is a luxury. We want the most from our cruises and these boards afford others a glimpse into experiences and opinions we otherwise may not know.

And, my posts are worth every cent ya paid for em !

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Kilroy - we may not agree about Regent and Seabourn, but I bet we have met: we did many cruises on the dear old Song of Flower with Dag, including the Millennium one, and also one on the Diamond, which was a strange little ship but had a gorgeous dining room.

lincslady;

I suspect we'd agree about more than we'd disagree in regards to these lovely cruise lines.

I think we both might agree that Song of Flower and the ships that followed her with ever changing parent companies (K-Line, Radisson, Apollo and now I believe NCL) has like SB, evolved and changed much. They will continue to change for better or worse.

Captain Dag has remained a constant over these years on both lines. We had the good fortune to cruise with him at the helm on the Legend most recently.

Kilroyshere,

You have certainly expended a lot of energy on your emails and so I hope that the exercise has supplied some measure of relief.

For my part, when I next sail on Seabourn and reach another 250 days and that free 2 week cruise, and as a Diamond Member enjoy free laundry and internet and other benefits such as discounts on tours and premium wine packages, I will be taking this exchange in stride. As I explained to you what Regent does with "free" tours/butlers holds no allure for me to show further interest.

When the new Seabourn ships are in service you will be able, if you choose to do so and have verifiable information, to compare the lines more carefully and then describe what's what.

Regarding your post showing 700 passengers on the Regent Voyager/Mariner I am confident, for example, the Odyssey class ships of 450 with 335 crew will be adding crew when they grow to 605 in order to maintain the Seabourn ratios. I guess we will all have to wait and see and then you can update and correct your specs. Same will no doubt follow for the winning Odyssey passenger:space ratios on these new and beautiful ships.

So you see, there is time to evaluate why people prefer one to another. My take is (and was) that Seabourn represents value to me through its new ships, onboarc benefits and its management's vision. Regent does not capture my imagination and the assessment I made of the rusty looking old Regent ship at Key West last year is admittedly partly to blame. But if you have something to share towards a more favorable understanding of Regent I would cerainly be grateful to hear it.

Happy sailing!

Mr. Ham;

Your Diamond status is noted. We too are SB Diamond but didn't think it necessary to mention at all and certainly not it in every post as you did.

I'm fascinated how in a thread asking to juxtapose SB with Regent, you found yourself weighing in multiple times...and NEVER having sailed on Regent ever.

But you did once observe a ship from afar in port, that you think was Regent's.

That is truly amazing...

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Edited by Kilroyshere

This thread reminds me of so many others where people take grave offense at any criticism of their preferred cruise line as if it were a stab to the heart or a critique of their grandchild's piano recital. Can we just postulate that different people will love different lines for different reasons, that both SB and Regent are both good lines which have different appeals, and leave it at that? (I have that ongoing problem with Regent because if the included excursions, others do not.) No need to snipe at each other.

The funny thing is that both posters have stated that Seabourn is their preferred cruise line.

One having sailed on both lines and the other only on Seabourn and not Regent.

I think that somewhere they agree with each other but will not become drinking buddies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury