Tenders in Bar Harbor

I'm sailing on RCCL's Liberty of The Seas next week, through New England and Canada. I was advised by RCCL that we will be using a tender in Bar Harbor. I assumed that meant I couldn't use my scooter to disembark. However, I've seen several posts on CC that refer to some tenders that are scooter-accessibile. Does anyone know what the case is in Bar Harbor?

We were not able to tender to Bar Harbor because they used the ship's tenders and those were not accessible via a scooter. The only tenders we've been able to use are in Grand Cayman, where they use local tenders and they're roll on.

RE: Bar Harbor - RCCL uses it own life boats as tenders which do not have roll-on capabilities. All 3 times I have been to Bar Harbor RCCL prohibited anyone with a mobility scooter to board the tender.

If you have a TravelScoot Mobility scooter ( http://travelscoot.com/ )that which collapses much like an umbrella or Luggie ( http://www.luggie-scooters.com/ ) which folds up like a rolling suit case and you're able to walk up/down a few steps you might be allowed to board the tender but that's also not a certainty.

If you do get the scooter on and off the tender, the path from the dock to the street level is incredibly steep. That was the biggest obstacle to me.

I'm also going to have a collapsible wheelchair for the cruise. When you say "incredibly steep" hopefully not too steep for my wife to push me to the top. We are taking the Arcadia Natl Park and Cadillac Mountain shore excursion. I'm hoping that maybe we'll be picked up at a spot where we don't have to negotiate the hill - probably not though. We shall see. Thanks for the info.

RE: Bar Harbor - RCCL uses it own life boats as tenders which do not have roll-on capabilities. All 3 times I have been to Bar Harbor RCCL prohibited anyone with a mobility scooter to board the tender.

If you have a TravelScoot Mobility scooter ( http://travelscoot.com/ )that which collapses much like an umbrella or Luggie ( http://www.luggie-scooters.com/ ) which folds up like a rolling suit case and you're able to walk up/down a few steps you might be allowed to board the tender but that's also not a certainty.

My scooter breaks down into 4 or 5 pieces very easily, but unfortunately is not foldable. I will have a collapsible wheelchair in addition to scooter, for just this type of situation. I'm pretty resigned now to the fact that I'll have to use it in Bar Harbor. Thanks for the info.

We were not able to tender to Bar Harbor because they used the ship's tenders and those were not accessible via a scooter. The only tenders we've been able to use are in Grand Cayman, where they use local tenders and they're roll on.

Good to know for my next Western Caribbean Cruise! :D Glad I'm bringing a wheelchair also.

My scooter breaks down into 4 or 5 pieces very easily, but unfortunately is not foldable. I will have a collapsible wheelchair in addition to scooter, for just this type of situation. I'm pretty resigned now to the fact that I'll have to use it in Bar Harbor. Thanks for the info.

FYI - I use a Pride GoGo that also breaks down into 4 pieces and was not allowed on the tender as there is not sufficient space on the life boats used as tenders for such scooters. Reason being that for safety reasons the scooter cannot remain in pieces and the tender and there is not sufficient room to reassemble it once on the tender so that it could be safely secured. Only those the fold up compactly have ever been allowed anytime I've cruise to Bar Harbour.

I'm also going to have a collapsible wheelchair for the cruise. When you say "incredibly steep" hopefully not too steep for my wife to push me to the top. We are taking the Arcadia Natl Park and Cadillac Mountain shore excursion. I'm hoping that maybe we'll be picked up at a spot where we don't have to negotiate the hill - probably not though. We shall see. Thanks for the info.

Going Coastal's description of it being "incredibly steep" unfortunately is an accurate description. Individuals using any mobility aid will find it challenging to navigate the hill.

Going Coastal's description of it being "incredibly steep" unfortunately is an accurate description. Individuals using any mobility aid will find it challenging to navigate the hill.

Absolutely correct on the hill. It is steep and long and no way to get around it. I would not ask my husband to push it and furthermore, if a light powered scooter, it won't make it up.

The other hill to watch out for is leading to the Citadel in Halifax and the steepness of the hill leading to the old market in Saint John. They require power.

In Bar Harbor, the Explorer out of Bayonneb(no longer there) used to use a whaling boat as a tender. That had a ramp, however, they weren't delighted to have you use it with a scooter and wanted collapsible wheelchairs in which you cannot get far due to terrain. V.

If RCCL don't have roll-on roll-off tenders then you should probably still be able to get ashore, providing you can meet three criteria:

1. You can stand, with help, and take a supported step on to the tender, also maybe one step down to inside. Be prepared to put up with a bit of tut-tutting from behind as you take a breath and time your step.

2. Your scooter is a lightweight that will break down for the crew to lift, not one of those monsters that could do the Paris-Dakar rally or Pike's Peak.

3. The sea conditions are reasonably good without a lot of swell. Because of this I'd recommend not booking any third party tours.

I managed it in Bar Harbor in a wheelchair on that basis and thoroughly enjoyed the town, the lobster and the tour around Acadia Park. Do watch out though for the tidal range, which is the second largest on the whole of the eastern seaboard of the US. At arrival it was just a shallow ramp to the quay but coming back it was very steep - it took three crew members plus me holding on to the hand rails to get me to the bottom without breaking the sound barrier. It shouldn't put you off, they will make sure you are safe.

p.s. Although the town is hilly I've been to plenty worse. Rather than go straight up the steepest part I found a longer but shallower route by turning right, going along the front, going up then going left. And I was wheeling myself without help from my wife IIRC.

p.p.s. Being unable to get on a tender because "there isn't room" or "it isn't safe" for a small scooter which breaks down is completely unacceptable and should be taken up with the desk in advance. Failing that, just take the battery off to get it into crew liftable weight. I've never sailed RCCL, but their other brand Celebrity has never had a problem with modest sized scooters when I've been on a tender.

Edited by Chunky2219
afterthought

p.p.s. Being unable to get on a tender because "there isn't room" or "it isn't safe" for a small scooter which breaks down is completely unacceptable and should be taken up with the desk in advance. Failing that, just take the battery off to get it into crew liftable weight. I've never sailed RCCL, but their other brand Celebrity has never had a problem with modest sized scooters when I've been on a tender.

OP stated he/she has a Pride GoGo. Even the smallest Pride GoGO model with the battery removed is still over the weight limit that an RCCL employee is allowed to lift.

Bottom Line : Regardless of anyone's past experience , whether a passenger will be allowed to tender at Bar Harbor is at the total discretion of the Captain on the actual port day even if the scooter is able to be broken down into several parts. OP needs to go with the mind set that they'll not be allowed to tender until they actually check with Security at the tender loading point ( not Guest Services ) on the actual port day.

Edited by xxoocruiser

................... Bottom Line : Regardless of anyone's past experience , whether a passenger will be allowed to tender at Bar Harbor is at the total discretion of the Captain on the actual port day even if the scooter is able to be broken down into several parts. OP needs to go with the mind set that they'll not be allowed to tender until they actually check with Security at the tender loading point ( not Guest Services ) on the actual port day.

Full marks for stating the obvious. As for mind set, I'd personally go with the intention of figuring out how I'm going to do it rather than planning for defeat before I even get on the ship. I hope my approach isn't rare.

Regardless, there are 12 STEPS down to the tender for you and the scooter. I have read that Princess has some device to make it accessible, but have not known any takers yet. V.

OP stated in their original post that the cruise was on RCCL Liberty of the Seas.

Additionally the OP posted back on August 22, 2015 at which time it was stated they'd be sailing on RCCL's Liberty next week. So OP has either just returned from the cruise or is currently on the cruise.

Edited by xxoocruiser

OP stated he/she has a Pride GoGo. Even the smallest Pride GoGO model with the battery removed is still over the weight limit that an RCCL employee is allowed to lift.

I'm not sure what you think is to heavy. We break mine down into 3 parts and nothing is over 40 pounds. The total weight of the scooter is 95 pounds.

I used mine on HAL in bar harbor and we just had to break it down and I managed down the steps with assistance. We were never told we couldn't do it.

I'm not sure what you think is to heavy. We break mine down into 3 parts and nothing is over 40 pounds. The total weight of the scooter is 95 pounds.

I used mine on HAL in bar harbor and we just had to break it down and I managed down the steps with assistance. We were never told we couldn't do it.

The post you are questioning was in reply to a post by Chunky2219 which stated

Being unable to get on a tender because "there isn't room" or "it isn't safe" for a small scooter which breaks down is completely unacceptable and should be taken up with the desk in advance. Failing that, just take the battery off to get it into crew liftable weight. I've never sailed RCCL, but their other brand Celebrity has never had a problem with modest sized scooters when I've been on a tender.

Therefore I interpreted the statement

Failing that, just take the battery off to get it into crew liftable weight.

as not breaking down the scooter and only removing the battery. Which by doing so would make the none disassembled parts excluding the battery weight still weighing approximately 75 pounds based on the total weight of Pride GoGo Ultra which is the smallest model being a total weight of 93 lbs per Prides website. Max weight allowed by most cruise lines for personal to list is 50LBS

Edited by xxoocruiser

I'm sailing on RCCL's Liberty of The Seas next week, through New England and Canada. I was advised by RCCL that we will be using a tender in Bar Harbor. I assumed that meant I couldn't use my scooter to disembark. However, I've seen several posts on CC that refer to some tenders that are scooter-accessibile. Does anyone know what the case is in Bar Harbor?

-------------------------------------

I am the OP. Just got back from this cruise (which we liked a lot.) As it turns out, they are now using large Whale Watching boats for tenders, so I, and many other disabled guests, were able to disembark quite easily. Thanks to all for contributing to my post.

• Like 1

I am the OP. Just got back from this cruise (which we liked a lot.) As it turns out, they are now using large Whale Watching boats for tenders, so I, and many other disabled guests, were able to disembark quite easily. Thanks to all for contributing to my post.

Thanks so much for this info. We're sailing on Liberty on Sept. 24. This will be my first time using a rental scooter on the ship so I don't know how powerful it will be. I will also have a wheelchair with me. Here's hoping that the compact scooter will work on the hill.

If you have any helpful hints to share about the ship or ports your input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Happy it worked out for you.

Thanks so much for this info. We're sailing on Liberty on Sept. 24. This will be my first time using a rental scooter on the ship so I don't know how powerful it will be. I will also have a wheelchair with me. Here's hoping that the compact scooter will work on the hill.

If you have any helpful hints to share about the ship or ports your input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

As has been pointed out here, there is a very steep hill to the shops, etc. at the Bar Harbor port. I have a 3 wheel Pride Go Go Elite Traveler that I brought on the cruise. It handled the hill, but just be careful. One more point: Liberty was a fine ship, but (unless it was my imagination) there were a lot of metal thresholds that seemed higher than on the Quantum (the only other ship I've scootered on.) So slow down when you approach them.

By the way, if you're planning on any excursions, I would definitely contact RCCL's shorexAccess team. They were extremely helpful in letting me know which excursions I could take my scooter on. Here's a link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do

Have a great Cruise!