Lots of questions from another first-timer!

Turtletyson

Hi!

This board is just fabulous - I have picked up SO many great hints from you all!:)

My husband & I just booked a 3-night Disney cruise on the Wonder, leaving March 1. We have done 7-night cruises on other lines, but now that we have a Princess-obsessed 4 year-old, we thought we’d try Disney. We are hemmed in by my husband’s work schedule, so we have to do a 3-night.

I noticed that many of the responses apply to the longer cruises. If anyone who’s done a 3-night has the answers to any of the questions below, I’ll be MOST appreciative!

1) We would like to take my mom along on the cruise. (Not sure she’ll go - we bought cancellation insurance just in case!) They let us book 4 people in a Category 12 room; however, I read somewhere that all Category 12’s sleep only 3. We were assuming that an adult and a child could sleep together on the pull-out couch, but that source (the Birnbaum book) says the couch is only a single. Does anyone know?

2) Is there ever lobster at dinner on a 3-night? (my mom’s favorite!)

3) Do they still have fireworks and the Pirate night?

4) Can I turn in a pillowcase for signatures on a 3-night?

Some more general questions:

5) Are there certain hours for the Oceaneer’s Club, or is it open pretty much all the time?

6) Castaway Cay: Is there a map online anywhere? What costs $$$ on the island, and do you use cash or your card? I heard there were children’s activities on the island - do you leave the kids, or stay with them? Do you have reserve snorkeling ahead of time as an excursion, or can you just walk up?

I’m sure I’ll think of more questions later, but thank you SO much for your answers to this first set!:o

Laurie

Howdy Laurie,

We have done 8 3 day cruises, I tend to loose track sometimes.

Ok, some cat 12's have a pull down bunk bed over the couch for the 4th person, They are safe with a rail and netting around them so NO falling out.

My husband had lobster last May on a 3 day, but menu's do change so dont count on it until you get there.

Yes ther is a pirate night party on ALL disney cruises. The Wonder just got a outdoor movie screen to play movies on too. after the pirate party they play the Pirate of the Caribbean movie on it.

Yes you can still do the pillow cases for autographs still. it is VERY important on the 3 day to drop them off the first day because they dont have much time to get them signed.

Not sure about the hours of th ekids clubs. I know thye stay open pretty late so the parents can go to the clubs at night.

On CC you use your Key to the world card from the ship and anything you may buy will be added to your shipboard account. Souvenirs, mixed drinks and rentals od float tubes, snorkeling gear , bike rentals etc...

Yes you can just walkup and rent snorkeling gear on the spot, no need to reserve it, bikes and water craft are the same way.

Many excursions dont fill up so you can check at the shore excursion desk on board if you decide to do of of those at the last minute.

On CC there is a kids area where you can drop off your kids, just like the clubs onthe ship for them to play. They have structured events and free time too. It is NOT by the water but they do have water cannons to stay cooled off with. They will even take the kds to lunch if you want some alone time, but you must tell them to feed them.

I think I got most of your questions.

Feel free to ask all you can think of,people here are very helpful and friendly.

I am leaving on the 25th for a 7 day cruise, so I wont be answering questions that week, but others will be here if I'm gone.

mom x4,grandma x4

Hi!

This board is just fabulous - I have picked up SO many great hints from you all!:)

My husband & I just booked a 3-night Disney cruise on the Wonder, leaving March 1. We have done 7-night cruises on other lines, but now that we have a Princess-obsessed 4 year-old, we thought we’d try Disney. We are hemmed in by my husband’s work schedule, so we have to do a 3-night.

I noticed that many of the responses apply to the longer cruises. If anyone who’s done a 3-night has the answers to any of the questions below, I’ll be MOST appreciative!

1) We would like to take my mom along on the cruise. (Not sure she’ll go - we bought cancellation insurance just in case!) They let us book 4 people in a Category 12 room; however, I read somewhere that all Category 12’s sleep only 3. We were assuming that an adult and a child could sleep together on the pull-out couch, but that source (the Birnbaum book) says the couch is only a single. Does anyone know?

2) Is there ever lobster at dinner on a 3-night? (my mom’s favorite!)

3) Do they still have fireworks and the Pirate night?

4) Can I turn in a pillowcase for signatures on a 3-night?

Some more general questions:

5) Are there certain hours for the Oceaneer’s Club, or is it open pretty much all the time?

6) Castaway Cay: Is there a map online anywhere? What costs $$$ on the island, and do you use cash or your card? I heard there were children’s activities on the island - do you leave the kids, or stay with them? Do you have reserve snorkeling ahead of time as an excursion, or can you just walk up?

I’m sure I’ll think of more questions later, but thank you SO much for your answers to this first set!:o

Laurie

Momx4 pretty nailed down the answers, but here are a couple of my thoughts:

2 - I also love lobster, and if you ask ahead of time, and possibly tip well, you can have all the lobster you want. I've done it, and I didn't wait until lobster night.

5 - it's open pretty much all the time, my youngest son really liked the Club during dinner, they had pizza and all the other basic kid food groups

6 - you get to leave the kids, and they have a great time. They have a water fight that is all Disney and every kids fantasy.

Have Fun! :D

Category 12. Guess those of us in the really cheap rooms don't deserve lobster, huh? :D

In C12 you are only entitled to watch the table next to you eat a lobster.......just kidding:p .....you have as much right/ability to eat a crustaseon as anyone else on that ship. My reason for asking about the category is based solely on where I would send you to get what you want.

Here is what you do.

I doubt if you can do anything on the very first night because you will just be arriving and the galley will have everything on automatic and there would not be adequete time for a special order, plus you will just be meeting your wait staff, but on that first night you can set the stage for the rest of the trip. Decide what two nights of lobster is worth to you...$20-$30$-$40....whatever you decide....have that amount in an envelope. Once you determine who is the head waiter for your table, and towards the end of your meal, look for an oppurtunity to pull the head waiter aside. Discretly pass the envelope and thank him/her for tonights service, and then explain that if would mean a great deal to you to make this cruise really special for your husband, that he really likes lobster, and if you could please surprise him with lobster it would really make this a great experience for him.

Here's the thing. It's been mentioned on this board about the amount of cutbacks on Disney, and I'm not so sure of the amount of latitude that the wait staff still has regarding meals. On our 7 night DC in 10/2004 they gave us an entire extra platter of shellfish/lobster, but I'm just not so sure anymore. Also, the lobster is okay, but not that great. Rather small, slightly tough, and slightly bland; but none the less still lobster!

Archived