Renting a car in Kona?

fredwoll

If you are considering Budget, think again! I spent $30 each way in cab fare to get to/from the airport. Budget does not have a shuttle to the pier. Check with Enterprise or National. I think I saw their shuttles at the pier.

If you are considering Budget, think again! I spent $30 each way in cab fare to get to/from the airport. Budget does not have a shuttle to the pier. Check with Enterprise or National. I think I saw their shuttles at the pier.

For the Kona port, do NOT rent car from the airport.

Can rent from Enterprise for less than $30/d. They shuttle you to their location 5-10min away. From Thrifty at the King Kam hotel it's $72+/d (unless there are some ways to get a lower rate), but it's the most convenient.

For the Kona port, do NOT rent car from the airport.

Can rent from Enterprise for less than $30/d. They shuttle you to their location 5-10min away. From Thrifty at the King Kam hotel it's $72+/d (unless there are some ways to get a lower rate), but it's the most convenient.

Hmmm! So glad I was browsing through these boards and read this one! Just yesterday I emailed Budget Rentals about a quote for Kona, but when I checked the map for airport location, I did have to wonder if shuttles would be provided...Now I Know!

Thanks for answering my questions before I asked!

:)

You can use Dollar or Thrifty in the King Kamameha Hotel wihich is right across from the tender dock. It might be a little more expensive but is well worth it for the convenience.

Time is money...Renting from King Kam Hotel is easy, easy, easy! We always do this!

• 1 month later...
Time is money...Renting from King Kam Hotel is easy, easy, easy! We always do this!

How long do you usually have to wait to get your car at King Kam Hotel? We need to start driving by 8:30 latest. Do you think we would have a chance? ;)

How long do you usually have to wait to get your car at King Kam Hotel? We need to start driving by 8:30 latest. Do you think we would have a chance? ;)

Depends on what time your ship starts tendering. There were people who reported that there is a line up first thing in the morning at the King Kam hotel rental, and it took more than 1/2 hr for them to get their car.

We just rented from them and had 2 people in line ahead of us. We had our car in about 10 minutes and were on the road. We have done this 3 times now and would only rent from Thrifty/Dollar in the King Kam Hotel. Keep an eye for specials on their websites. They had a "Premium" special for us last week that I booked last month. We only paid $29.99. All the other islands we had Camaro convertibles that we got for $30 a day on a sale as well (Hertz) but for Kona, we could only find the "Premium" on sale. It was a Crown Victoria lol I felt like I was driving a boat but it worked.

Angela

We just rented from them and had 2 people in line ahead of us. We had our car in about 10 minutes and were on the road. We have done this 3 times now and would only rent from Thrifty/Dollar in the King Kam Hotel. Keep an eye for specials on their websites. They had a "Premium" special for us last week that I booked last month. We only paid $29.99. All the other islands we had Camaro convertibles that we got for $30 a day on a sale as well (Hertz) but for Kona, we could only find the "Premium" on sale. It was a Crown Victoria lol I felt like I was driving a boat but it worked.

Angela

It depends on how many people are in front of you when you get to the line. Some had reported that there were many people in line, and that correspondingly took much longer.

That $29.99 rate is a great rate. I have to start watching for specials for our Aug. trip.

Archived