San Basilio Port Venice Wind Surf

Strenz

Does anyone know about this port? From my map the Vaparetto # 2 and 82 go the the San Basilio stop. There is a small bridge very close to the vaparetto stop and the terminal, does the Wind Surf dock right there or is it further away? I ask because my husband has 72 year old goalie, hockey knees, yes he still plays goalie 2-3 times a week. I know Venice well but have never been to the port and I hate taking water taxis because they are so utterly expensive. We leave from Venice on 5/15. Thanks and Happy Sailing.

When we sailed on Star Clipper they used the San Basilio Pier. It's just as you described, a short distance over an easily navigated bridge from the vaporeto stop. It won't be a problem. If you arrive early, a nice place for a meal or glass of wine is the Trattoria San Basilio, just before you go over the bridge. You'll be able to see your boat from the Trattoria. Have a great time. The sail away along the canal is something one will never forget!

Dear Comex, Thank you so much. Very excited about this trip. I adore Venice, leaving by sail has been a long time dream really since we started sailing with WS in 1999. Happy Sailing to you.

Does anyone know about this port? From my map the Vaparetto # 2 and 82 go the the San Basilio stop. There is a small bridge very close to the vaparetto stop and the terminal, does the Wind Surf dock right there or is it further away? I ask because my husband has 72 year old goalie, hockey knees, yes he still plays goalie 2-3 times a week. I know Venice well but have never been to the port and I hate taking water taxis because they are so utterly expensive. We leave from Venice on 5/15. Thanks and Happy Sailing.

Hello, Strenz,

We stayed on Murano for three nights before our Star Pride cruise last year (2016). We caught the vaparetto from there to Piazzale Roma and then, just further along the landing stage, caught the 5.1 to San Basilio.

The small bridge you mention has a gentle, covered walkway over it so no steps to lug suitcases over! There are attendants waiting to direct you to the large sheds right in front of you where the suitcases are dealt with and you go through security and hand-luggage scanning.

Then we had a short ride in the waiting minibus to the ship.

Back in1999, we sailed out of Venice on the Wind Surf . . . . . . dined on deck at Candles and it was a late-evening departure . . . . . a truly magical 60th birthday present!

Enjoy!

Jane :)

Thank you so much, The hockey knees so appreciate the informstion! We are staying three nighrs before in a renovated convent not far from the Santa Lucia train station. I fell in love with Venice when we got off a train in Venice my first sight was a funeral boat followed by a garbage boat, have been in lover ever since that was 1987. 12 years later 1999 first Wind Star on the Surf, fell in love, 20 cruises later combining both. Can't wait.

Just an FYI--We were told by Windstar that we would dock at San Basilio--and then sailed right past it into the main cruise port. I had verified just a few days before we left the US, so maybe 10 days prior. Have a plan B.

Just an FYI--We were told by Windstar that we would dock at San Basilio--and then sailed right past it into the main cruise port. I had verified just a few days before we left the US, so maybe 10 days prior. Have a plan B.

Which ship was this? Do you know why this happened?

Thanks for all the information- we arrive in Venice on 5/17 from the Windsurf ! Question: best and cheapest way to get from ship to center of Venice to hotel. I've seen rates for 155 euros which seemed high but don't no - thank you in advance !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, yes, warer taxis cost a 2nd morgage. We take vaparettos but that comes with a warning pack light. 40 years ago was my first time in Venice, had a large suitcase, just finished graduate school money tight. Took a vaparetto from Santa Lucia, train station, to our hotel, had to go over about 6 bridges to get to hotel. My light went on, when you come to Venice pack light. Actually have never checked a bag since. I do not know where in central Venice you will be because besides St. Marks there really is no center. The Vaparettos go inside and outside the Grand Canal. I suggest you set your GPS on your phone or buy a map, Amazon has a good plastic covered map of Venice to get to your hotel. Perhaps your hotel has a shuttle. From the entries in this thread the Vaparetto San Basillo is very close to the terminal and that goes along the Grand Canal. I wish I could be of better help. If you tell me your hotel i can probably tell you how to get there on a Vaparetto ( 8 Euros for 90 minutes ) I wish you a great trip.

Hi Orangeman 1968, You are right you could not get more central Venice!

Your Vaparetto Stop is San Marco Vallaresso and from San Basilio stop where the Wind Surf should be the # 82 will take you right there and you go straight up the little way to your hotel, seriously right there. Again, I do not know how you travel and the vaparetto might be crowded with other WS passengers but 8 Euros each vs 155 Euros. Looking at my map San Basilio is really close via water to your hotel's stop and 155 Euros sounds like an extraordinary amount of money for such a short distance. On-line there are water taxi companies in Venice check out their prices. I have only taken a water taxi once nearly fell over it was so expensive. I do not want to advise you because I do not know you and would not want you to be disappointed in my advice. If you are spending a few days in Venice think about getting a daily vaparetto pass, think about how many times you will take it you can save some money. For the airport you can take a vapatetto to Fondamente Nove and there get a boat to the airport. The hotels will always push a water taxi for they earn money for the hotels as well. Enjoy all. Susanne

I recommend looking on Tripadvisor on the Venice forums for information about the vaporettos, getting a 24/48-hour pass, where to buy them and how to use them.

(I think there's a site called Europe for Visitors too with a section on Venice which is very useful.)

Also useful to read other posts.

Very useful to be warned to validate your vap. pass BEFORE boarding or, approach the 'conductor' to have it done as we did because we saw no response from the ticket machine!

Heavy fine if caught out! :(

Edited by cooee
incorrect spelling!