Cozumel port closed following jewelry store robbery

DaytonCruiser

I could see how a robbery could happen there with so many shops,etc. I hope no one was hurt. We go there in about 50 days-sure it will be OK by then-probably even better, with more security, so I am not worried.

Cozumel has always been one of those "safe spots" of Mexico. A lot of factors involved in why that is including the fact that it is an island. This surprises me...really, there is no place to run, no place to hide. Odds are they would get caught so why attempt it? Desperate times in Mexico. I wonder if this will affect future cruises. No one was killed this time but if these types of things are happening in Cozumel now it is only a matter of time before someone will be.

Thats horrible. You will have the typical whiners come on here saying" that happens here in america" trying to justify it. Sad really sad

It does happen in America......what is there to justify:confused:

Cozumel has always been one of those "safe spots" of Mexico. A lot of factors involved in why that is including the fact that it is an island. This surprises me...really, there is no place to run, no place to hide. Odds are they would get caught so why attempt it? Desperate times in Mexico. I wonder if this will affect future cruises. No one was killed this time but if these types of things are happening in Cozumel now it is only a matter of time before someone will be.

LOL! I was thinking how dumb can you be:D

Thats horrible. You will have the typical whiners come on here saying" that happens here in america" trying to justify it. Sad really sad

Actually I expect some to say "Robberies happen at Diamonds International everyday, only this time they are the victim." ;)

Wonder if anyone did a quick cost-benefit analysis in their heads before shutting the whole place down? If they had a few cruise ships, that could add up to thousands of potential visitors who would have paid for drinks, taxis, excursions, meals, souvenirs...

Wonder if anyone did a quick cost-benefit analysis in their heads before shutting the whole place down? If they had a few cruise ships, that could add up to thousands of potential visitors who would have paid for drinks, taxis, excursions, meals, souvenirs...

According to the article, all three ships that had been there that day had left already.

You will have the typical whiners come on here saying" that happens here in america" trying to justify it.

What a strange idea. Whether or not it also happens in America, why would anyone justify a robbery? :confused:

Bill

:confused: Justify???? Don't understand your point. Why would some one be a whiner if they said it happened in America? And what makes you think if they say that they are trying to justify the crime?

Sadly it happens everywhere and I am not trying to justify the crime. I am glad that no one was killed or seriously injured.

We were in Cozumel on Wednesday and left shortly after 10 PM on Imagination. So glad this happened after we departed. It could have been a long delay for us and the ship returning to Miami and delaying the next cruise.

When we were there last month we were talking to a guy there. Asking about business etc and had the issues in others part of mexico caused people to get scared there. He said that Cozumel is one of the richer areas because of tourists and the crime is non existent because of it. The shops and such make sure of it because of the people they get. While I agreed about the lesser amount of crime I thought no existent was pushing it.

They closed the port for 14 hours so the robbers didn't escape. The cruise ships were gone, and not due back for- bet it was 14 hours. A robbery happened. And the big deal about this is what? Robberies happen every day all over the world. I'm not justifying anything- just noting that it must have been a really really slow news day.

When we were there last month we were talking to a guy there. Asking about business etc and had the issues in others part of mexico caused people to get scared there. He said that Cozumel is one of the richer areas because of tourists and the crime is non existent because of it. The shops and such make sure of it because of the people they get. While I agreed about the lesser amount of crime I thought no existent was pushing it.

Sure. That's a total joke that crime is nonexistent in Cozumel. Why, then, are there police or whatever they are riding all around in open jeeps with rifles pointed ready to fire at any given time? I dislike Cozumel for that reason and I never feel comfortable there.

Sure. That's a total joke that crime is nonexistent in Cozumel. Why, then, are there police or whatever they are riding all around in open jeeps with rifles pointed ready to fire at any given time? I dislike Cozumel for that reason and I never feel comfortable there.

Why?

just guessing but I bet it has to do with keeping crime

down...keeping tourist safe. Keep the money flowing

in?

One of the reasons I DO FEEL SAFE in Coz and

Progreso is the Police are out in full force;)

They closed the port for 14 hours so the robbers didn't escape. The cruise ships were gone, and not due back for- bet it was 14 hours. A robbery happened. And the big deal about this is what? Robberies happen every day all over the world. I'm not justifying anything- just noting that it must have been a really really slow news day.

(and that was not whining, just an explanation I agree with!)

Archived