Refundable trip costs

austinhoops

I have a TravelGuard Gold policy for a trip this summer and I understand that all of our non-refundable pre-paid costs need to be insured.

Here's my question- how about refundable costs (hotel- refundable until 24 hrs prior to stay) that we will incur during the trip? Let's say we stay at Hotel X that is refundable. Clearly, after we have paid for that hotel, it is no longer refundable. If an insurable incident happens after that part of our trip, would those costs need to be included?

I have not been including things that are refundable but we will incur during the trip, and I want be sure that won't present a problem in the event we have a claim during the trip. Many thanks to any experts here who might know.

I have a TravelGuard Gold policy for a trip this summer and I understand that all of our non-refundable pre-paid costs need to be insured.

Here's my question- how about refundable costs (hotel- refundable until 24 hrs prior to stay) that we will incur during the trip? Let's say we stay at Hotel X that is refundable. Clearly, after we have paid for that hotel, it is no longer refundable. If an insurable incident happens after that part of our trip, would those costs need to be included?

I have not been including things that are refundable but we will incur during the trip, and I want be sure that won't present a problem in the event we have a claim during the trip. Many thanks to any experts here who might know.

My best advice is to call Travel Guard and ask the relevant questions. Take names, times, notes, etc., of the conversation. You can also call your insurance broker.

I have used another trip insurance provider, but not Travel Guard. I insure for all the costs I have committed to (for example, a $200 deposit, $1,000 to secure, but not pay up front for, hotel rooms) within the time window after first trip payment (usually anywhere from 14-30 days, although a few have much shorter windows). This covers me for pre-existing conditions, also allows me to get cancel for any reason (CFAR).

I pay for more premiums as I incur more expenses (for instance, air fare of $800, final payment for the cruise of $2,500, pre-paid shore excursions and other shipboard expenses of $300, pre-arranged ground transport of $300), my policy allows that. That way I'm still good for CFAR and Pre-ex. That's just the way I do it, please talk to your experts TO MAKE SURE everything is done properly. It's very important to find out if Travel Guard lets you "pay as you go". Trip insurance is a very complicated item, it's important to have all your ducks in a row.

I did see another feature of your Travel Guard Policy, that is primary insurance if you pay within first trip payment plus 14. Also a couple other add ons. I much prefer primary.

ONLY IF you need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions and/or the "Cancel For Any Reason" benefit.

Otherwise, you can insure as much or as little of your trip costs as you want.