Azamara Luxury

themoon

I am often confused by posts that speak about Azamara as a luxury line and then being let down. I can understand when someone has saved their money very carefully over a long period to take what they hope will be an amazing holiday of a lifetime that disappointments can arise. In this case expectations may be set way too high, but what I can't understand is someone who admits to getting a great deal on Azamara (often $150 per person per night or less) and still had their expectations set so high that now all they want to do is keep putting Azamara down for not being luxurious enough. It makes me wonder what exactly was expected at that more than fair price/quality ratio. I have sailed on two Azamara cruises and I have two more booked this summer. I enjoy my fellow guests, the food, the drink, and the friendly crew. I also appreciate that the officers are readily available and easy to approach. Any concerns I have had on board have always been acted on immediately, and that to me is what sets Azamara apart.

I am often confused by posts that speak about Azamara as a luxury line and then being let down. I can understand when someone has saved their money very carefully over a long period to take what they hope will be an amazing holiday of a lifetime that disappointments can arise. In this case expectations may be set way too high, but what I can't understand is someone who admits to getting a great deal on Azamara (often $150 per person per night or less) and still had their expectations set so high that now all they want to do is keep putting Azamara down for not being luxurious enough. It makes me wonder what exactly was expected at that more than fair price/quality ratio. I have sailed on two Azamara cruises and I have two more booked this summer. I enjoy my fellow guests, the food, the drink, and the friendly crew. I also appreciate that the officers are readily available and easy to approach. Any concerns I have had on board have always been acted on immediately, and that to me is what sets Azamara apart.

The "misunderstanding" comes not from those who have sailed Azamara, but from Azamara marketing. Azamara is NOT a luxury line. The ship is not luxurious nor are the staterooms. I have only sailed Azamara once but I booked three more cruises for the very reasons you state. You are correct about what sets Azamara apart, but even you are not calling it "luxury." Bad marketing leads to disappointment. And keep in mind that only 5% of cruisers are on CC to ask questions before they sail.

The "misunderstanding" comes not from those who have sailed Azamara, but from Azamara marketing. Azamara is NOT a luxury line. The ship is not luxurious nor are the staterooms. I have only sailed Azamara once but I booked three more cruises for the very reasons you state. You are correct about what sets Azamara apart, but even you are not calling it "luxury." Bad marketing leads to disappointment. And keep in mind that only 5% of cruisers are on CC to ask questions before they sail.

It is strictly your opinion that Azamara is not luxury. Traveltruth.com, which accepts no advertising from any cruise line (and is therefore beholden to none) rates Azamara as #10 of its top 10 luxury cruise lines. Interesting reading! http://www.traveltruth.com/truthful-ratings-from-industry-experts/the-worlds-top-ten-cruise-lines/

I have cruised with only the Royal Caribbean family of cruise lines so I have no basis of comparison as to whether Azamara is more or less luxurious than some other lines. Even still I do not feel it is inaccurate to call Azamara "luxury." I will concur with the OP that what Azamara offers--smaller ships, personal service, longer stays in ports, and more--feels luxurious. Luxury to me isn't more square footage in a cabin or even trendy bells & whistles. YMMV ;)

It is strictly your opinion that Azamara is not luxury. Traveltruth.com, which accepts no advertising from any cruise line (and is therefore beholden to none) rates Azamara as #10 of its top 10 luxury cruise lines. Interesting reading! http://www.traveltruth.com/truthful-ratings-from-industry-experts/the-worlds-top-ten-cruise-lines/

I have cruised with only the Royal Caribbean family of cruise lines so I have no basis of comparison as to whether Azamara is more or less luxurious than some other lines. Even still I do not feel it is inaccurate to call Azamara "luxury." I will concur with the OP that what Azamara offers--smaller ships, personal service, longer stays in ports, and more--feels luxurious. Luxury to me isn't more square footage in a cabin or even trendy bells & whistles. YMMV ;)

You have never been on the ships but of course you have an opinion.

OK -- that's fine

It is not just my opinion. It is the opinion of many cruisers who love the line.

They don't sail Azamara because it's a luxury experience.

You might find it more luxurious than RCCL (no brainer) but anyone who has sailed on the true luxury lines (Regent, Crystal, PG etc) will tell you the same thing -- Azamara is not luxury for many reasons. And when folks on CC try to convince themselves or anyone else that Azamara is "luxury" the more of a disservice they do to the line. You will just have more disappointed first time cruisers -- expecting luxury and not getting it -- as we had on the other thread.

Hi Everyone,

I guess this will be yet another thread on the word "Luxury". Really ? Who cares.

All I know, is that my sailings on Journey & Quest were the nicest cruises I've ever been on - mostly due to the outstanding officers and crew. When I departed the ship, I felt wonderful, relaxed, and totally energized. To me ? That's all the "Luxury", I'd ever care about.

Can't we please stop the endless debates about what's in a word, and just enjoy the cruise experience ? Life is too short. Just go and enjoy.

Edited by Host Andy

Luxury comes at different price points, but can still be luxury within its category. I agree that luxury goes beyond the size of the cabin or the furnishings.

Cadillac markets itself as a luxury vehicle, as does Mercedes, and Maserati....are they misleading the public or are they just luxury at different costs?

They say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. On the Paul Guaguin ( luxury listed), the last days they ran out of toilet paper should I delist them for that foley. No make a comment to the ship people and move on as it was a great cruise. Ship is looking a little worn but as with Azamara comments the attention to details and feedback from officers in general is great.

I have sailed twice on both Crystal and Azamara (Quest), and I would consider both luxury lines, in fact, all things being equal, I think I would rather cruise on Azamara for a variety of reasons!

John

Edited by PSULion

You might find it more luxurious than RCCL (no brainer) but anyone who has sailed on the true luxury lines (Regent, Crystal, PG etc) will tell you the same thing -- Azamara is not luxury for many reasons.
I don't think anyone can give a generally-accepted definition of what makes a cruise line "luxury," but I will give an opinion that says our Regent Mariner cruise was no more "luxurious" than our eight Azamara cruises, despite Mariner having a 50% larger stateroom. Yes, I suppose the included beer selection was better, but nothing really special in the way of dark, rich-tasting beer.

I think it would help if people didn't believe because something is their opinion (e.g., such-and-such is the best hotel in whatever city, or this, that, and the other are the only true luxury lines) that it must necessarily be fact and everyone else must agree.

Well said...we did Regent Mariner too and we really didnt find Azamara less luxurious. Sure Regent has more inclusives but you pay for it. Its just like Sandals resorts branding themselves luxury inclusive...some are, most are not! And Im sure many paying customers have come away a bit disappointed in their Sandals experience...and there are many whom could never find a fault!

Luxury is such a broad subject. I am taking my first Azamara cruise later this year, and I have no expectations built around the "luxury" concept for this cruise. I just know to expect a more intimate, personalized environment, with a high standard of guest service and food. I think the misconception that people have with AZ is that they don't do their homework before they sail ..... they get sucked into marketing verbiage. I can tell just from looking at the interior pics of AZ that it is certainly not a "luxury" ship. And, in fact, what is "luxury"? I have sailed multiple times on Crystal and Regent with my parents, and to me, Celebrity's Solstice Class ships are much more luxurious in terms of amenities and style. People need to relax and just enjoy the experience for what it is. I am only in my 30s and I just feel fortunate to be able to take 2 long cruises a year....some people just look for things to whine about.

Michael

Hi Everyone,

I guess this will be yet another thread on the word "Luxury". Really ? Who cares.

All I know, is that my sailings on Journey & Quest were the nicest cruises I've ever been on - mostly due to the outstanding officers and crew. When I departed the ship, I felt wonderful, relaxed, and totally energized. To me ? That's all the "Luxury", I'd ever care about.

Can't we please stop the endless debates about what's in a word, and just enjoy the cruise experience ? Life is too short. Just go and enjoy.

Well said Andy. Maybe we can hop over to the celebrity board and discuss "modern luxury" instead....or not:rolleyes:

Edited by librarylady19

You know what they say, ignorance is bliss. Maybe that is why I am perfectly happy with Azamara. :D

Well said Ed!

Add to ignorance what you've experienced or known before......and in the words of Manuel, on whom all waiting skills must be benchmarked "Ah know nathing Mr Fawlty"

Edited by uktog

I am often confused by posts that speak about Azamara as a luxury line and then being let down.

Well maybe they should lower the price so it doesn't cost as much as a luxury line? I'm starting get the feeling that it's a not so good luxury line or a regular line that is priced luxury. No one else in the comments above can agree which one it is!

All these website issues and more unhappy cruisers hasn't changed a lick since I was here last week. If I reserved a hotel at the Hilton and it wasn't right it doesn't get a pass for not really being 4 star if I paid $250!

I don't think you will ever find agreement on this subject! For us, it's a cruise and we love to cruise! :) I like the look of the ship and I wanted to try the small ship experience for our honeymoon, yes I know the stateroom is a bit small, yes I've heard the bathroom isn't big, is it going to really matter?!

I just want to be out on the balcony having our breakfast enjoying the scenery and the sun and eating what I like!!! ;)

it is similar to booking hotels in a foreign country as their levels of ratings are not the same as European or North American. There is no world wide standard for what is luxury. As they say to each his own and I repeat beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is requirements to rate something as luxury. Travel China someday and you will understand.

Luxury for me is better that my every day lilfe and/or better than a cruise on the main stream cruise line I have been on. I have found both luxury on main stream cruise lines and some on Azamara. Each has short comings. That is where price comes in to play for me. I base my choice on what fits my needs. Food, cabin and a nice ship are what are important to me. I don't like an old looking cabin.

Fortunately most of us seem to share the same sentiment about Azamara, we find them luxurious enough for our travels. Unfortunately I had really hoped to hear the answer from those that cruised Azamara at a great QPR and still found the experience fell below expectations. That is what had left me perplexed.

Fortunately most of us seem to share the same sentiment about Azamara, we find them luxurious enough for our travels. Unfortunately I had really hoped to hear the answer from those that cruised Azamara at a great QPR and still found the experience fell below expectations. That is what had left me perplexed.

I am perplexed why you'd want to hear people complain! There's already a ton of that on the Cruise Critic forums. I also don't know if I'd find much value in the opinion of anyone who bought cheap and still managed to find something to sniff about. :eek:

I have a personal opinion of what is luxury and it changes by what circumstance I am in. I really don't want a butler messing with my suitcase -- though others love having the extra attention. I have sailed on many lines and all different sizes of ships. Luxury deep in the Amazon River basin on a 20passenger boat that has a kitchen the size of a closet but put out wonderful meals meets my expectations of luxury for that time and place and we paid luxury money for the experience. We are just booking our first AZ cruise and the main reason for this cruise is the wonderful itinerary and the fact that we will see the Komodo Dragons with only 676 other passengers instead of 2000+ at a price that is lesser than some other offerings. I have taken a total of 3cruises on the R-ships and I just love the small ship whether owned by Oceania or Princess or AZ. Thus I will be having that rare pleasure another person mentioned. Good enough for me to put my travel dollars down. That is the ultimate vote. If it is not luxury as YOU define it -- then go find the luxury experience that does match you.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

By the dictionary definition Azamara is not a luxury line.

But it has given me the luxury of travelling to beautiful places, many not accessible to larger cruise ships. It has given me the luxury of meeting and getting to know like minded travellers of all ages from many different countries. And it has given me the luxury of going home destressed and happy after a great vacation.

Stacked against this a small cabin and a tiny shower don't bother me at all.

There is a good article on the definitions of Luxury Cruising on this week's email newsletter from Cruise Critic UK where Azamara and Oceania are categorized as "Luxury Lite" providing a good stepping stone from the premium lines such as Celebrity & HAL towards the Traditional Luxury lines such as Seabourn, Crystal, Silverseas etc.

I think it provides a good answer to the question, so here is a link to the article http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=1468