Navigating Paris speaking English

broker1

We are planning a stopover trip to Paris next summer on route to a Med cruise . Our dilemna is that none of us speak any French . Is it possible to navigate Paris by speaking only English or would this be disastrous . Thanks for any info ......

We are planning a stopover trip to Paris next summer on route to a Med cruise . Our dilemna is that none of us speak any French . Is it possible to navigate Paris by speaking only English or would this be disastrous . Thanks for any info ......

Yes,you can get around Paris without speaking French..no problem.Enjoy your stay in Paris.

Don't expect the warmest of welcomes from the Parisians,you should try a little with the language.

This can be true,but a smile and a few words in French cango a looong way.I have learned that it's not that the French are not welcoming people it's just the nature of the culture more or less.I guess I have never had a problem once I figured that out.:)

First, always say bon jour in a quiet voice when entering a shop or cafe. Always smile and be polite without any arm waving or loud voices.

Always say merci.

If you use these hints wherever you go (even if it's on the street asking for help), you will be fine.

We found English was used widely in Paris, especially in major tourist locations. But it helps to know and use the major greetings in French, even if you think that the accent is not quite right.

Bonjour, merci and au revoir are possible for everyone.

Bonjour, merci and au revoir are possible for everyone.
They are nearly required. You will get a much better welcome if you use them regularly. It is part of good manners in France. Spend any time in a shop in France and you will hear a constant barage of bonjour, merci and au revoir.

When you should find the need to locate a restroom or ( water closet ).Keep in mind that if you should try to use one in a private buisness like a bar,cafe,restaurant you may be stopped by the proprietor.This is the time when you realize that they can speak and understand English.As my friend found out when he was refused entry at the door in a couple of establishments.You may find that in some places they may take offense if you don't buy anything first.

It never ceases to amaze me that many Americans think they can use a restaurant bathroom without being a patron. You may get away with that at McDonald's or Burger King at home, but it is not acceptable at most places in Europe. The easiest thing to do is buy a coffee or soft drink and then ask for the bathroom. My husband is always ready for an expresso and I use the ladies room;) .

Cheers, Pam

It never ceases to amaze me that many Americans think they can use a restaurant bathroom without being a patron. You may get away with that at McDonald's or Burger King at home, but it is not acceptable at most places in Europe. The easiest thing to do is buy a coffee or soft drink and then ask for the bathroom. My husband is always ready for an expresso and I use the ladies room;) .

Cheers, Pam

I agree with that completely!

To the OP try and learn at least please, thank you, Goodmorning, etc. It will make you feel more of a part of Paris. And don't feel insulted if they don't understand English its not their language.

• 4 weeks later...

Even here in America, we always buy something if we expect to use their loo.

As it has been said, in a restaurant a coffee, glass of wine, softdrink is just being polite.

The other is just bad form. It is not a "public loo "

Archived