Credit Card Trip Cancellation Insurance

We've always purchased travel insurance for cruises. Our travel agent has used a variety of companies. One time we needed to place a claim because we had to cancel close to the sailing date, and the claim was honored

I use the Capital One Professional Mastercard to pay for all deposits and payments for our travel.

A friend said that most of the better credit cards offer trip cancellation insurance and I was curious as to whether you've had any experience with travel cancellation coverage with your credit card company.

I've called Mastercard and Capital One, and have gotten four different answers.

Thanks.

"- Trip Cancellation Insurance

Protects you and your family against forfeited, non-refundable, unused payments and deposits if your trip is interrupted or cancelled and you have purchased your common carrier tickets with your eligible MasterCard card."

If you want to verify what is and what is not covrered ask them to send it to you in writing. As they say, the devil is in the details.

The same also applies to travel insurance. Each policy is different and what one policy covers another one might not.

What your quote does not say is what constitutes cancellation or interruption of the trip. I suspect it won't do good for items such as illness but again the devil is in the details. Get it in writing. What you have provided has no details.

Keith

I agree get it in writing, before you chance it. I thought Capital One insurance covers car rental and if the trip was paid on the credit card, and lets say your plane goes down...your loved ones will benefit on the life insurance.

Last year in Cambodia, I broke my left ankle and had to come back.

The credit card refunded all my expenses.

However, they will only do so on trips of 60 days or less for which most ot all of the trip expenses have been charged to that sprecific card.

At least this is what it was in my case.

I was very happy with the refund I got.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that most credit cards cover only trip cancellation, not medical expenes. Also, I doubt they'd cover the cost if you had to be flown to a medical facility and that can cost $15,000 or more. So before you use credit card Trip Cancellation make sure you get in writing what they cover for medical. And get your health insurance policy to read what they cover as well.

And keep in mind that few health insurance carriers cover you outside the US, so Caribbean travel wouldn't cover health problems. That is why most of us get Travel Insurance from carriers that cover everything.

Called both of my major credit card companies today, and neither one of them cover trip cancellation/interruption. One of them did however offer accidental death/dismemberment coverage if I paid through them.

OKAY!! Really!??! I already carry extensive coverage on DH and I for the kids. I'm not willing to pay for my trip on that card just because that is what they will cover. And to add insult to injury, that particular card company tried a hard sell for 5 minutes on their identity theft protection plan. We already have a contact order in place with all the major crediting bureaus if anyone applies for credit in our name. So why would I pay for that privelege?

Honestly.... sometimes I wonder why I even have a credit card! Oh wait... because today's economy mandates it.:confused:

Archived