Dining options as a solo traveler???

Lvnmylife85

So I have my 2nd solo cruise booked for my Birthday in December. My first solo cruise, I had a balcony cabin which I chose to bring 98% of my meals back to and eat in privacy and stare at the ocean. (I dread finding a seat in the buffet area during breakfast, ugh!) This time I have an inside Studio Cabin booked on the NCL Breakaway and think I will feel quite bored in that confined space with nothing to look at but the four walls and tv. It'll feel like I'm in my bedroom at home...for 7 days!:eek:

I'm not sure I'm open to being seated in the dining hall with a table of people I don't know. While I'm not really an introvert, I just fear the awkward convos: Why are you so young to be traveling alone? (I'll be 29) I've also considered that there will be a solo travelers meetup the first night so I've got my fingers crossed for meeting some other folks that wouldn't mind doing dinner/lunch together. What other options are there otherwise? Plant myself at bars with my reading device and hope I hit it off with other travelers. Not many people my age travel alone just after Thanksgiving/Beginning of December.

I took my first solo cruise when I was 30 so I know the experience you're talking about. I do think you'll likely meet folks in the Studio Lounge to have dinner with and at the singles meetup. My experience with the singles meetup was that it was mostly folks who were a lot older than I was at the time, but I just put it out of my mind and met some great people.

I've done a lot of solo cruising, and what I find is that if you leave yourself open to it, it's pretty easy to connect with people for activities/meals/etc. if you want. Also, when people travel in a large group, they tend to not mind if you tag along. I've been "adopted" by multiple families on cruises. I've had the situation that, as a solo, I had to be careful not to offend a group I had connected with because I had multiple invitations to dine on the same night.

I had to make peace with the awkward questions, but it's usually just when you first meet someone and the question doesn't continue to come up throughout the cruise. Once people kind of know you're travelling solo they'll internalize it. But there's not really a successful way that I've found to forego the initial awkwardness other than to keep in mind it's only awkward if you see it that way. Other's might be awkward about you travelling solo, but there's no need for you to be.

The other thing I've found useful is to develop connections with multiple "groups" that way you always have an out if you're feeling uncomfortable or just need some solo time.

Hope it's all helpful. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

You'll definitely meet dining partners at the first lounge gathering and the cruise director will also set something up. I prefer the specialities, so I go trolling for dinner mates. Writing on the whiteboard for specialities has worked, too. You'll only dine alone if you choose to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So I have my 2nd solo cruise booked for my Birthday in December. My first solo cruise, I had a balcony cabin which I chose to bring 98% of my meals back to and eat in privacy and stare at the ocean. (I dread finding a seat in the buffet area during breakfast, ugh!)

I hear ya there. On Breakaway, the Uptown Grill is on the deck above the buffet (near the aft elevators) and serves breakfast and lunch. It's semi-outdoors, and they have good stuff AND a lot of people don't seem to find the place. So it's not crowded!

O'Sheehan's can be busy for breakfast but it is all small tables. That place is also open 24 hours.

And if you are relaxing in Spice H2O or on the Waterfront or whatever, you can get a pizza delivered anywhere on the ship for $5.

Since you're in a Studio, you can hang out in the Studio Lounge at any time. So you don't have to look at the 4 walls of your tiny stateroom if you don't want to.

I'm not sure I'm open to being seated in the dining hall with a table of people I don't know. While I'm not really an introvert, I just fear the awkward convos: Why are you so young to be traveling alone? (I'll be 29) ... Not many people my age travel alone just after Thanksgiving/Beginning of December.

I did my first solo cruise, also first cruise in general, at age 29. It's actually a good age to cruise solo. You can mix equally well with the party-oriented 20-somethings and the more laid-back older crowd. I did just that. No one said anything negative about me traveling alone. I ended up having one of the best vacations of my life. Having said that, there were two important differences: I cruised in late April/early May, and it was with Carnival, which has assigned seating during dinner (which was a big lifesaver).

I've done a lot of solo cruising, and what I find is that if you leave yourself open to it, it's pretty easy to connect with people for activities/meals/etc. if you want. Also, when people travel in a large group, they tend to not mind if you tag along. I've been "adopted" by multiple families on cruises.

Once people kind of know you're travelling solo they'll internalize it. But there's not really a successful way that I've found to forego the initial awkwardness other than to keep in mind it's only awkward if you see it that way. Other's might be awkward about you travelling solo, but there's no need for you to be.!

You're right! I got adopted by people on each of my cruises: once by members of my roll call, another time by my tablemates. In both cases, there was no awkwardness about me cruising solo: it was mentioned once, a brief explanation was given, and no one brought it up it again. I was treated as an equal member of their group, rather than someone "tagging along". I even ended up giving them some useful advice about activities on the ship, since I was following the Fun Times more closely than they did.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I'm not sure I'm open to being seated in the dining hall with a table of people I don't know. While I'm not really an introvert, I just fear the awkward convos: Why are you so young to be traveling alone? (I'll be 29) I've also considered that there will be a solo travelers meetup the first night so I've got my fingers crossed for meeting some other folks that wouldn't mind doing dinner/lunch together. What other options are there otherwise? Plant myself at bars with my reading device and hope I hit it off with other travelers. Not many people my age travel alone just after Thanksgiving/Beginning of December.

I've read a lot of solo threads on these boards and often it sounds like people think because they are travelling solo they can only ever talk to other solo travellers. I generally book my 2 week summer holiday in the middle of July because I know most people my age are couples with kids and they travel in school holidays, so if I want to meet people my age that's when they are travelling - though when I meet singles too that's a bonus. I've also often been adopted by other people, because quite often they aren't used to spending so much time in each other's company and I find they are glad of someone new to talk to.

On my first cruise I went to the buffet every night as I could sit on my own and hide from the stares. Actually noone cared and I chatted to lots of nice people. Now the buffet is for breakfast and lunch and I go to the MDR for a proper dinner most nights. If I want to be on my own I ask for a table for one (reading device optional), but if I'm feeling adventurous I'll ask to share - its only for one meal and who knows who you'll meet!! One of my best dinners ever was sharing with 2 elderly ladies, who kept me thoroughly entertained with their stories.

I've read a lot of good things about the solo cabins on NCL though, and it sounds like you have a good chance of meeting a bunch of like minded travellers too, so you will probably find its even better than you imagined. :D If all else fails though there's absoultely nothing wrong with planting yourself at a bar to see who you meet. Enjoy & let us know how it goes on the Breakaway!

Edited by GaryT-UK

I've always done anytime dining and ask to share a table in the mdr. I like meeting new people and will occasionally see them on tours or around the ship.

I'm trying traditional dining for my next cruise, the same people every night. that could be good or bad!

I've always done anytime dining and ask to share a table in the mdr. I like meeting new people and will occasionally see them on tours or around the ship.

I'm trying traditional dining for my next cruise, the same people every night. that could be good or bad!

I agree with the posters who've sailed in the studio cabins on NCL, it's very easy to meet other solos in the lounge, use the whiteboard, and go in a group to a dinner arranged by the host/hostess.

On Carnival, I usually have late dining in the MDR, and several times I've been seated with 7 or 9 members of the opposite sex. Hasn't been a problem, yep, I'm a guy.

why do you suppose there are so many more women who cruise? many I've heard say they 'drag' their husband along the first time. after that, the men enjoy cruising.

why do so few single men cruise? is it not a manly holiday? I know I cruise because its an easy way to see different ports and because I am taken care of. what would entice more men to cruise? the smart ones know they can dine with a table full of women. ;) its like my son: he took women's studies as an elective one semester at university because he knew the class would be full of women! always thinking, that one.

why do you suppose there are so many more women who cruise? many I've heard say they 'drag' their husband along the first time. after that, the men enjoy cruising.

why do so few single men cruise? is it not a manly holiday? I know I cruise because its an easy way to see different ports and because I am taken care of. what would entice more men to cruise? the smart ones know they can dine with a table full of women. ;) its like my son: he took women's studies as an elective one semester at university because he knew the class would be full of women! always thinking, that one.

I'll guess that 2/3 of my cruises have been solo. Probably same % for land vacays too. I just enjoy being away, esp. in the wintertime. Let's see, 10 degrees in NY or 80 degrees in Panama......hmmmmm......easy choice.

I did the Epic last year and echo everything everyone said about not being worried. I don't like to eat alone, even when traveling for business I get to go and bring it back to my hotel room. But you know what, I really felt empowered. I loved the group and the hostess in the lounge. It was kind of a high school flashback going around and learning names, but we were all up in the cafe at breakfast, so I asked to join people OR if I wanted to journal I went down a deck which on the epic was the Italian restaurant and got a quiet table alone. It was awesome. For lunch I ate in port or open seating etc, and dinner typically went with the group, or joined friends via the white board for the specialty places. I met a very good friend I am still in touch with. Female, but a great friend my age . So don't worry.

I'm doing the Carnival Freedom in September and took late seating hoping I would have a good chance to be seated with singles. My TA requested it for me, so fingers crossed.