Just the name Carnival....

When we sailed for the 1st time on Holland America last year, initially I couldn't see the differences either. I found myself wondering what was so special about them. Staterooms seemed alike, lido and main dining room cuisine seemed similar. Theater entertainment was about the same, etc.

That is, until my mother pointed out the actual differences. She mentioned the white gloved service upon boarding, the daily fresh flowers in the cabin and throughout the ship, the room service delivered in fine china, laundry delivered in tissue paper with a gold seal in a wicker basket, full main dining room menu available for in-cabin dining, upgraded linens on stateroom bedding, throw blankets for balcony use, a well stocked library open all day long, the museum quality decor, etc.

Now, for average me, these differences were not important or even noticeable, but for the more discerning cruiser, these differences were probably much more important and may have been the difference between an OK cruise and a wonderful one.

Just MHO, but for those who are perfectly happy getting a nice, clean room, being fed, and entertained (like the average Carnival cruiser), all cruise lines may seem the same as long as they deliver these basic needs. But for those looking for just a bit (or a lot) more, the differences may be much more apparent.

This exchange with my mother taught me that not seeing the differences between cruise lines doesn't mean that the differences don't exist, sometimes right under our noses. That we don't CARE about those differences is a completely different story.

Well said.

My wife and I did the Catalina/Ensenada cruise with Princess last year and as we sat out on the balcony in the afternoon while the ship was docked at Ensenada, we could hear all the noise coming from the loud deck party over on the Carnival ship with the hip hop DJ. We said that whenever we cruised again, it wouldn't be with Carnival because we want peace and quiet rather than a party ship.

However, when it came time to book a cruise for the entire family, we needed a room that accommodates five, and Carnival offered that at a fair price. I also think that a more upbeat atmosphere will be more fun for the kids.

So from the sound level carrying across the port in Ensenada, my impression was that Carnival was definitely a loud party ship. But we are giving it a try, since this isn't meant to be a "peace and quiet" vacation this time. The real test will be whether or not we choose to return the next time it's just the two of us.

I've been cruising since I was 19 in 1965. The only thing I've noticed that is different in all the cruises I've taken on many different cruise lines is the change to a much more casual way of cruising. Back in the day everyone dressed up for dinner almost every night. Now on most cruise lines, people dress casually even on "formal" nights. Besides this and not allowing smoking everywhere on the ships anymore...I really don't see anything different from my very first cruise. Carnival is not the only cruise line where this "casualization" has happened but for some reason they get the blame. Actually, I first noticed the change on an NCL cruise. The DH and I noticed that some people were dressing a little too sloppy. But we soon got over it because we don't care what others wear and now we too dress more casual on our cruises. It's a little freeing really.

As to the quality of food...I really don't notice any difference and as a matter of fact I've noticed a good change in that there are now many different kinds of ethnic foods served on cruises. Menus change, but the quality not-so-much. Most cruise lines have never claimed to serve gourmet meals.

Referring to "drunken orgies". I've never seen one. We've sailed with our DS from the time he was 9 (he's 19 now) on Spring Break cruises almost every year and never have experienced that crazy drunken college crowd that supposedly haunts these cruises. Yes, you'll sometimes see drunk people on cruise ships...big deal! But drunks all over the ship...that's never been my experience until this past weekend when I took my first 3-dayer to Mexico. Yes, there were a lot of drunken partiers on that cruise. Mostly young people attending Bachelorette and Bachelor parties. They were having fun and enjoying life. I had absolutely no problem with it at all. There were lots of people just partying all over the place. I thought it was awesome! All of the clubs, dance venues, and bars were party scenes and it was so much fun. Not a boring cruise by any stretch of the imagination. I'm 67 and I was partying right along with everyone. It was such a gay and festive atmosphere on the Inspiration. We plan to go again next year and party again! We now know that if you want a quiet, laid back cruise, you just don't go on spring break or 3-4 day cruises. I have and will continue to do so. ;)

Every single cruise I have ever been on and I've been on many...has been awesome in it's own way. Either because of the itinerary or just the atmosphere of the particular group of people traveling at any given time, We've always had a great time. Never, ever, have we had a bad cruise. And, believe it or not, we have never, ever been disappointed by bad service or food, or once having one of our ports cancelled because of bad weather. It's been not good, not okay, but GREAT every single time. From our expensive Mediterranean cruise to this past weekend's cheap 3-dayer, it's been GREAT every single time. Have there been problems, yes of course, there's been meals I haven't enjoyed, a couple of bartenders that have been oblivious to my presence, sometimes slow meal service, etc. etc. But nothing so big that I would ever say that I have had a bad or even eh! cruise.

I love life too much to let little things get to me and the DH feels the same. You make your cruise and that's a fact...barring something really awful...such as not being compensated for having to cruise in a room that had a boarded up window when you paid for an Ocean View...we have never had any major complaint whatsoever! Bad things do happen...just lucky that they haven't happened to us. But most of the complaints you hear on these boards has nothing to do with major complaints for the most part. I see mostly petty complaints on these boards.

From my personal point of view, I just don't see any real major changes in the quality of cruise travel and we've traveled on many different mid to low priced cruise lines. To us they are all, more or less, basically the same.

I have also experienced the...almost embarrassed to say they are going on a Carnival Cruise response...from people...when I hear they are going on a cruise and ask them which line.. They look down and one guy actually rolled his eyes like....oh we are on Carnival...like he was going to the gallows....Don't get it...you can't change people's minds...either they say the ship is dirty....too crowded...don't like being stuck out in the middle of nowhere....their Friend's friend had a horrible time blah blah blah...can't stand people who TRY to rain on my parade!!!! Not happenin....

I have had the same experience.I was at a dinner party and someone at the table asked me what I was doing for New Years eve and I said my husband and I were going on cruise o ut of Galveston to the Caymen islands.They asked what ship I was taking and when I answered Carnival Magic, there was dead silence I I told them I had gone on the same ship last new years eve and it was wonderful.They still looked skeptical.I love the cruises and really have no complaints.These people have preconcieved ideas about carnival.

I used to be one of those "I will never sail Carnival" people. At the time it was the forced gratuities which made me prejudiced against the people who cruised Carnival. Luckily I gave Carnival a chance on a 5 night cruise and I was really happy I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we sailed for the 1st time on Holland America last year, initially I couldn't see the differences either. I found myself wondering what was so special about them. Staterooms seemed alike, lido and main dining room cuisine seemed similar. Theater entertainment was about the same, etc.

That is, until my mother pointed out the actual differences. She mentioned the white gloved service upon boarding, the daily fresh flowers in the cabin and throughout the ship, the room service delivered in fine china, laundry delivered in tissue paper with a gold seal in a wicker basket, full main dining room menu available for in-cabin dining, upgraded linens on stateroom bedding, throw blankets for balcony use, a well stocked library open all day long, the museum quality decor, etc.

Now, for average me, these differences were not important or even noticeable, but for the more discerning cruiser, these differences were probably much more important and may have been the difference between an OK cruise and a wonderful one.

Just MHO, but for those who are perfectly happy getting a nice, clean room, being fed, and entertained (like the average Carnival cruiser), all cruise lines may seem the same as long as they deliver these basic needs. But for those looking for just a bit (or a lot) more, the differences may be much more apparent.

This exchange with my mother taught me that not seeing the differences between cruise lines doesn't mean that the differences don't exist, sometimes right under our noses. That we don't CARE about those differences is a completely different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Of course there are differences, which is a good thing. What would be the point or the variety in every cruise vacation being the same. People like what they like and many, most like the differences no matter what they are for what their worth. Do what you please. Just don't talk crap about my choices; especially when you've either never cruised or never cruised Carnival. Simple as that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I have a hard time telling friends not to be scared of "Carnival". Although the name doesn't support this (unless it's a 3-4 day cruise, LOL), it's too bad they get such a bad rap from people who don't know. Would a name change bring more people onboard and/or raise the prices? Two of my friends and I had booked NCL for November but then I came across the Pride and convinced them all around it would be a better choice for us. (They are first-timers) Now I'm hoping we aren't let down. She will be just out of dry dock so it's a win win!!

I agree , I think a name change would help tremendously.. I have only sailed carnival and as of now will only sail carnival.. Carnival has had 6 chances to disappoint me and guess what, they have not any of those 6 times.. I will only go back to carnival but I do think the name hurts them... Just my opinion. In a few years, once the daughter graduates college I want to go to Europe. I will go to Europe on other brands if carnival doesn't decide to go back there. But I will only go on another brand because carnival doesn't offer. If they offer I will be on carnival.. Still think a name change would help tremendously.

...I think a name change would help tremendously...

I agree. I would have gone with the parent name of CCL (a la MSC, P&O, etc.). That would not be straying too far from its original name, while letting the public know via media and word-of-mouth they are rebranding and reinventing themselves.

Edited by Ryndam2002

In my experience, people voicing low opinions of something aren't really looking to be educated. This includes Carnival. One person at my old job was like that. When I told her I sailed on Carnival, her reaction was: "Oh, I heard lots of things about Carnival", in a tone of voice that clearly indicated it's nothing good.

So I use a different approach: fight fire with fire. Instead of trying to educate people, I kind of embrace the Carnival stereotype. It was, after all, founded as an antithesis to the stuffy, formal cruise lines back in the day. When that woman said that, I told her: "You'd be pleasantly surprised; I had so much fun on that cruise." Maybe it was my tone of voice, where she thought "fun" was something not work-safe, but either way, that was the only critical remark she made.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

The last thing I feel compelled to do justify to other people how I spend my vacation time and money. It's not my job to convince them to try anything. If they ask, I tell them point-blank that I am going on, or just came back from a Carnival cruise. If they make an off-putting remark, I just say, "well, I like 'em, and it's my time and money."

That usually ends the conversation right there.

Of course there are differences, which is a good thing. What would be the point or the variety in every cruise vacation being the same.

I agree with you 100%, which is why I disagree when some people say that certain cruise lines are more alike than different. Even the perennial "rivals" (Royal Caribbean and Carnival) have HUGE differences IMHO. Whether these people NOTICE the differences or not is a different story.

Edited by Tapi

The last thing I feel compelled to do justify to other people how I spend my vacation time and money. It's not my job to convince them to try anything. If they ask, I tell them point-blank that I am going on, or just came back from a Carnival cruise. If they make an off-putting remark, I just say, "well, I like 'em, and it's my time and money."

That usually ends the conversation right there.

Exactly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I hear all of that too "The Kmart of the cruising world" Well so what? Sometimes I want a good deal. For the price it's hard to beat Carnival. Plus they support my city with two ships year round and don't pull out only to come back constantly.

So for that I started cruising with them.

I would have cruised more if I had someone to go with then. Now the current SO gets seasick, but I talked her into a cruise when I showed that it was $2k less than the beach resort we wanted to go to, with more for the kids.

Now yesterday I was given a two day booze cruise from a TA friend. So I get to try NCL now too.

I still really want to try Celebrity because my aunt raves about the Alaska cruise.

And I have to try a RCL mega line

rowdy, party ships, low class patrons, old ships, etc. I have never experienced any of that on my cruises, and tell people to come see for themselves.

Most of the people I have heard that from, have only sailed the Holiday out of Mobile.

Of course they would have a bad experience, the oldest and cheapest trip out of the cheapest port. It's going to have "low class" patrons. (lol ingrained La v Al jab)

But the people I DO know who Hate carnival have only sailed that ship.

My only experience is with the also old Fantasy and I LOVED it.

I also had booked a Triumph and Conquest cruise before but both were cancelled for other reasons. (Hurricanes in gulf)

People are always surprised when they ask what my favorite cruise line is and I tell them Carnival. Everyone has this idea of drunken wild people on Carnival. I tell them maybe during spring break, but not when I cruise! I also tell them that we've been on Celebrity and other cruise lines during spring break and they've had wild, drunken people on them.

I actually haven't seen much of this on Carnival in the last several years, but then we don't cruise during spring break!

I hear all of that too "The Kmart of the cruising world" Well so what? Sometimes I want a good deal. For the price it's hard to beat Carnival.

I always love a great deal and you're right, Carnival has some that you just can't pass up.

Most of the people I have heard that from, have only sailed the Holiday out of Mobile.

Interestingly, our cruise on the Holiday was one of the nicest Carnival cruises we've ever taken. And fellow cruisers on that short cruise to Mexico rivaled those we've met on more upscale and refined cruise lines. Polite, well-mannered, and considerate.

With that said, in the 20 years I've been cruising with Canival, I have witnessed my share of unruly behavior, (including a racially motivated fist fight in the atrium, drunken behavior, and even passengers being arrested). But those incidents have been the exception, not the norm.

Carnival is one of my favorites, along with Royal Caribbean. Pride should be an awesome cruise. Have traveled on sister ships, Legend and Miracle. Nice layout and perfect size. I have taken 3 Carnival cruises and have never been disappointed, quite the opposite, they all have been great.

I couldn't agree more. We love the Pride. It was our first ship and we have two more planned. Cruising out of Baltimore is a breeze! We have been on RCI the Enchantment and Grandeur and although we had a great time (the itinerary is better) we can't wait to step back on a Carnival ship! You will have a great time!! :D

Edited by vlynn
Error

I tried to instigate a family reunion cruise. My sister who has only cruised "upper end " cruise lines said, "not to sound like a snob, but I just don't think I could do a Carnival cruise." ***??? She's only ever been on one, I have been on 5 and am known to be a fairly discerning traveler . She doesn't know what she's missing, at half the price! Btw, I have gone during spring break, the holidays. & summertime...all the so -called worst times to cruise...when's the next one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i get this all the time from people when i mention going on a cruise...oh all the horror stories, norovirus, pirates, being stuck at see on a poop cruise etc etc etc...

I have NEVER (knock on wood) had a bad experience on any of my 4 carnival cruises.. granted i am not platinum (yet)... but i have also read many reviews, talked with other cruisers, I have priced out other cruise lines to see what they have and Carnival always wins for me hands down!

So I go with what I know, I am always ready to have a great time on my cruise (sure there are some things that have lacked on each cruise)... but I am on vacation when other people are still stuck at work..

Long story short... Don't knock it til you try it....

yay for cruising!!! :D