Just Booked and UPSET! Advice?

I (should) be sailing on July 26th on RCI for the very first time. (NCL in the past). Wife and I decided that we needed a vacation last minute, after our first year with our Daughter. I have been running my business AND just finished my masters full time, so this is soooo welcomed.

We booked two days ago over the phone, and the rep sold us a handicap room, (only available at the time) and said that it would be perfect because it is bigger to accommodate us and all that comes with an infant, and right near the nursery. (room 1337).

Come to find out, I look at my documents and the room she gave us is actually 1377!!. She obviously misread whatever she was doing, (very disappointing because she was a pure joy to chat with), and now we are stuck in just about as small and as poor a location as you can get on this ship. And since the ship is near full, This was NOT cheap. $2,900 for an interior, one guest is an infant and two adults.

I called in and the rep said that they contacted escalation and they couldn't do anything for us, because even if they stuck us back in a handicap room, the boat would ask for proof. Even though he acknowledged that this wasn't my fault (I never asked for handicap to begin with), he said my options were to upgrade to a balcony for an additional $1,400, or cancel and pay a termination fee. Mind you, I booked this 2 days ago, and my wife jumped through hoops to get off from work on a two week notice. No way to change our dates, and even if RCI refunded us in full, there are no other cruise options for us that will fit my schedule.

I am so irate right now, and did send an email to customer service after hanging up with the rep that "couldn't" help. Does any one know of any other options I could use to get this fixed? My wife is not happy.... "happy wife=happy life"

Edited by dinzitari

Noting your concern about room location, you should be able to move to any other available room in the same category.

I dont think you can really complain about not getting an accessible room, it would have been a bonus but if you book an inside (for example) you have to be happy with a 'regular' inside (or outside, balcony etc).

I'd call back and hopefully get a different and better rep. Ask to speak to a supervisor. They are not providing what you agreed to purchase over the telephone. They changed the cabin on you. They would only bump you from the handicap stateroom if a handicap person requested it. This close to sailing, that's highly unlikely. Good luck.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I thought they allowed people to book handicapped cabins within a few weeks of sailing if those cabins are still available and haven't already been taken by someone who really needed them.

Noting your concern about room location, you should be able to move to any other available room in the same category.

I dont think you can really complain about not getting an accessible room, it would have been a bonus but if you book an inside (for example) you have to be happy with a 'regular' inside (or outside, balcony etc).

I understand what you are saying, but I booked a cabin rated for 3 guests, and now I'm in a 2 person cabin. I would have booked another sailing or line that fit my needs better.

Unfortunately I'm roped in to this now because of the favors my wife called in to get off for these dates. Even if I wanted to cancel, the other sailings on other liners conflict with work dates that I CAN't get out of. This 5 day'er fit in nicely so we just went with it... I would have sailed in August or September had I not found an acceptable size room for my family.

I thought they allowed people to book handicapped cabins within a few weeks of sailing if those cabins are still available and haven't already been taken by someone who really needed them.

They are....we had one in the jewel and just got one on the allure.

Looks like the Explorer, five nights to Bermuda.

Oops, while I was researching, the thread moved onward! ;)

It really is sold out. There is nothing for them to do for you.

She probably never had that accessible cabin. She probably misread the numbers from the start.

you do have to complete a disability form to book a handicap cabin.

however at 30-60 days they open these cabins to anyone.

obviously a inside cabin was booked and that is what he has.

he can try calling but other than moving to a different location

I am not sure what he is looking for..an inside is an inside..

I understand what you are saying, but I booked a cabin rated for 3 guests, and now I'm in a 2 person cabin. I would have booked another sailing or line that fit my needs better.

Unfortunately I'm roped in to this now because of the favors my wife called in to get off for these dates. Even if I wanted to cancel, the other sailings on other liners conflict with work dates that I CAN't get out of. This 5 day'er fit in nicely so we just went with it... I would have sailed in August or September had I not found an acceptable size room for my family.

No, 1377 is designated for three. See the little "t" in it? That means TWO Pullman beds. ;)

ex_deck10_v2013_apr.gif

It is actually 1337 that is not rated for three!

Edited by Merion_Mom

obviously a inside cabin was booked and that is what he has.

he can try calling but other than moving to a different location

I am not sure what he is looking for..an inside is an inside..

No, the accessible cabins are much larger, plus there are 3 people in his party. Now, he has a smaller cabin for 2 people.

No, 1377 is designated for three. See the little "t" in it? That means TWO Pullman beds. ;)

ex_deck10_v2013_apr.gif

Hmmm, on their website it says capacity is rated at 2 guests? And, it is 40sq ft smaller if I am not mistaken.... plus, the baby can't sleep high up unfortunately.

Edited by dinzitari

I (should) be sailing on July 26th on RCI for the very first time. (NCL in the past). Wife and I decided that we needed a vacation last minute, after our first year with our Daughter. I have been running my business AND just finished my masters full time, so this is soooo welcomed.

We booked two days ago over the phone, and the rep sold us a handicap room, (only available at the time) and said that it would be perfect because it is bigger to accommodate us and all that comes with an infant, and right near the nursery. (room 1337).

Come to find out, I look at my documents and the room she gave us is actually 1377!!. She obviously misread whatever she was doing, (very disappointing because she was a pure joy to chat with), and now we are stuck in just about as small and as poor a location as you can get on this ship. And since the ship is near full, This was NOT cheap. $2,900 for an interior, one guest is an infant and two adults.

I called in and the rep said that they contacted escalation and they couldn't do anything for us, because even if they stuck us back in a handicap room, the boat would ask for proof. Even though he acknowledged that this wasn't my fault (I never asked for handicap to begin with), he said my options were to upgrade to a balcony for an additional $1,400, or cancel and pay a termination fee. Mind you, I booked this 2 days ago, and my wife jumped through hoops to get off from work on a two week notice. No way to change our dates, and even if RCI refunded us in full, there are no other cruise options for us that will fit my schedule.

I am so irate right now, and did send an email to customer service after hanging up with the rep that "couldn't" help. Does any one know of any other options I could use to get this fixed? My wife is not happy.... "happy wife=happy life"

1. Congratulations on earning your Master's degree. :)

2. That IS a lot of money for that cruise. Go, enjoy, make family memories. :D

Hmmm, on their website it says capacity is rated at 2 guests? And, it is 40sq ft smaller if I am not mistaken.... plus, the baby can't sleep high up unfortunately.

No, of course s/he can't. I assume that you will ask them to provide you with a Pack 'n' Play.

And that image IS their website.

Edited by Merion_Mom

From the accessibility info on RCI's website:

We hold accessible staterooms for guests with disabilities until all non-accessible staterooms in a category are reserved. At that time, accessible staterooms are released to general inventory and may be reserved by a guest without a disability.

OP, I would call back and speak to another rep, and also keep checking. Cabin availability changes minute to minute. Wishing you the best!

1. Congratulations on earning your Master's degree. :)

2. That IS a lot of money for that cruise. Go, enjoy, make family memories. :D

I agree with both statements. I will also say be extremely thankful that you don't actually need a handicap assessable room. You won't miss 40 s.f. Look at the big picture....you're on a cruise to Bermuda with your beautiful family.