What should I do? Please advise

susyq 1967

I booked a 17 night Australia cruise many months ago at a fantastic price. It was for me and my husband. Sadly, we have now separated and he does not want to do the trip. I am trying to talk one of my adult sons into coming with me. We have a balcony cabin booked and flights booked and paid for.

I want to go and think I would be ok on my own. I am on the roll call and there are a few Brits on it. But 17 nights is a long time to be on a ship, plus the extra hotel time we have booked in both Perth and Sydney.

I am concerned about the pricing. Currently it is showing at over £5000 for a single occupancy balcony. All in with tips etc, cost us just over £3000. (balance is due in September). So would I really have to pay what is approximately £3500 to go it alone? Some posters on here have suggested just not telling RCI and turning up alone? What might happen then? If we have paid the balance in full can they charge me more?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I am concerned about the pricing. Currently it is showing at over £5000 for a single occupancy balcony. All in with tips etc, cost us just over £3000. (balance is due in September). So would I really have to pay what is approximately £3500 to go it alone? Some posters on here have suggested just not telling RCI and turning up alone? What might happen then? If we have paid the balance in full can they charge me more?

I haven't done a noshow with RCI, but I did one last year with NCL - and it wasn't an issue at all - I simply told them that my cabinmate couldn't make it when I checked in. In fact I got the other person's port fees refunded to my shipboard account the day after sailing.

These things happen - people fall ill, or have some sort of emergency at the last minute.

As long as you don't make any changes to your booking - they can't change your pricing - and that's why its being suggested that you leave everything as is.

If you cancel the second booking it is pretty much a given that you will be charged the solo rate. With the huge difference in price I would go the no-show route. I have read of some cruise lines that have been not so nice about this but others who didn't care because the cabin was paid for.

Cruising solo is wonderful - the whole cabin to yourself, doing what you want, etc.

I booked a 17 night Australia cruise many months ago at a fantastic price. It was for me and my husband. Sadly, we have now separated and he does not want to do the trip. I am trying to talk one of my adult sons into coming with me. We have a balcony cabin booked and flights booked and paid for.

I want to go and think I would be ok on my own. I am on the roll call and there are a few Brits on it. But 17 nights is a long time to be on a ship, plus the extra hotel time we have booked in both Perth and Sydney.

I'd go with the no show , they will not charge you any extra . All you need to say is work commitments at the 11th Hour if asked .

PS re your PM error , Cruising is so sociable , it can be whatever you make it . You just have to get out there .

Thats the cool thing about CC , you meet so many folks online and a sailaway get together for all the roll call is usually organised at one of the outside Bars. So you get to meet fellow cruisers on the first day

Bryce

Just had a thought , you could say he had caught a Gastro bug , no way they want anyone on the ship with Sickness and Diarrhoea !!!

Sorted !

Hi.:)...not sure I am getting this......someone is going to have to pay

for the cabin. You may certainly show up and take the cabin but

the cruise is already going to be paid for......whatever the price is.....

if your x is not going to pay his portion then you are going to have

to pay double since you are sailing solo. Final payment for a Nov

cruise will be next month......they are going to want the full amount.

****mis read your post**** I see you said the cruise would be paid

in full.....sorry, I missed it the first time.....you should have no problem

since it is already paid in full:)

I would LOVE to cruise for 17 nights and hope you have a great time:)

I always sail solo but have never been able to do a cruise in the teen

amounts........17 sounds delicious:)

Edited by Lois R

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for your separation. a cruise can be a wonderful way to heal, there is something very soothing about watching the water. you may just find 17 days still isn't enough!

I do longer ones on my own. I've never been to the solo get-together. the first one always seems to be late on the first day or so of the cruise when I am still suffering jet lag and going to bed early!

I've met wonderful people on my cruises, at the piano bar and at dinner, who have remained friends.

Edited by cdngrl

Just had a thought , you could say he had caught a Gastro bug , no way they want anyone on the ship with Sickness and Diarrhoea !!!

Sorted !

I'd think twice about saying that. :)

HAL's health questionnaire we all complete when we check in asks if you or any of your travel companions have had gastro symptoms in the last how many days/hours. If you say 'your travel companion' was ill from gastro you might have to do some fast talking to not be barred from boarding.

It happened to me with Celebrity. My cabin mates mother took ill and went into the hospital 3 days before the cruise. We had insurance through Travelex I believe. Cabin mate cancelled and I went. It was pass the point that any refund would have been given and I was not charged the single supplement. Insurance refunded my cabin mates money.

In your case I would just show up and if they didn't ask I wouldn't tell. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise.