Caribbean Cruise. Which one?

Have been looking at many, many cruises to many different destinations for our 2015 vacation. If we choose the caribbean, we are looking at these three trips:

Oasis of the Seas

Western Caribbean - From Ft. Lauderdale to Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel

In a Oceanview Balcony Stateroom

Have never been on the Oasis before!

Serenade of the Seas

Western Caribbean - From New Orleans to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth

Oceanview Balcony

Have never been to New Orleans. (We like to fly in a day early)

Jewel of the Seas

Southern Caribbean - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Dominica, Barbados, St. Maarten

Oceanview Balcony

More interesting ports, cheapest.

The Oasis is the most expensive. The Serenade would be saving us almost $800+. And the Jewel would be saving us $1500+.

Have been to all the ports except Falmouth, but have been to Ochos Rios. So we've seen Jamaica. Kind of leaning towards the Oasis, but not sure if it would be worth the extra $$.

Have been looking at many, many cruises to many different destinations for our 2015 vacation. If we choose the caribbean, we are looking at these three trips:

Oasis of the Seas

Western Caribbean - From Ft. Lauderdale to Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel

In a Oceanview Balcony Stateroom

Have never been on the Oasis before!

Serenade of the Seas

Western Caribbean - From New Orleans to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth

Oceanview Balcony

Have never been to New Orleans. (We like to fly in a day early)

Jewel of the Seas

Southern Caribbean - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Dominica, Barbados, St. Maarten

Oceanview Balcony

More interesting ports, cheapest.

The Oasis is the most expensive. The Serenade would be saving us almost $800+. And the Jewel would be saving us $1500+.

Have been to all the ports except Falmouth, but have been to Ochos Rios. So we've seen Jamaica. Kind of leaning towards the Oasis, but not sure if it would be worth the extra $$.

I'm assuming the Jewel is out of San Juan. Have you factored in transportation costs to/from the cruise?

How many are going? What age range? Oasis is a destination herself.

I'm assuming the Jewel is out of San Juan. Have you factored in transportation costs to/from the cruise?

How many are going? What age range? Oasis is a destination herself.

Yes, Jewel is out of San Juan. (Sorry, forgot to mention that!) And yes, transportation is factored in and included when i figured out the prices. We are a family of 3, with a 16 year old. Some extended family may be joining.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

JEWEL...more ports. smaller but very nice ship...great service and food....where are you flying from...? its a no brainer..western has not much to see..

We would be flying from either Philly or Newark, whichever has the best price as our trip gets closer.

Also, yes the Jewel would be mostly for the ports, while the Oasis would be for the ship. We have been to both the Western & Southern, so know what to to expect.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

The Jewel gets my vote too :D

It all depends on what you and your family wants though. The Oasis and all that it offers or more ports and what they offer. The Adventure also sails from San Juan so that is another choice :)

You save $1500 INCLUDING airfare? Jewel for me.

With a 16 yr. old, I would pick Oasis for sure!! Tons of things to do and Oasis is the destination, not the ports. We LOVED Oasis and are cruising on Allure this Sept.

I've been on the Jewel and Oasis. Without a doubt, I would say Jewel. Those ports are SO much fun. The ports on Oasis are the same tired ones you can visit on any ship. Yes, the Oasis is a big amazing ship with lots of things.

Are you planning to stay on the ship more? You will have a 7 day cruise with only 3 port days. The Jewel only leaves you on the ship for 1 sea day.

I've always wanted to visit Dominica but I can never find a cruise in Summer that goes there.

JEWEL gets my vote! 100%

Edited by AmandaKaye79

Thank your for all of the replies. A lot to consider.

Also, just checked the Jewel itinerary again, and it is now saying Tortola instead of St. Thomas, but there is no itinerary map posted.. :confused:

So just checked cruisett.com and it also has the Jewel in Tortola that day.. Hmmm. Have never been to Tortola, has anyone been there and can comment?

We went to Tortola almost ten years ago. Beautiful Island. We didnt plan ahead so we just wandered the town and shopped the vendors near the ship. We heard from others that the beaches were fantastic. I hope t o go back one day, and would take a tour to see the Baths in nearby Virgin Gorda.

Thank your for all of the replies. A lot to consider.

Also, just checked the Jewel itinerary again, and it is now saying Tortola instead of St. Thomas, but there is no itinerary map posted.. :confused:

So just checked cruisett.com and it also has the Jewel in Tortola that day.. Hmmm. Have never been to Tortola, has anyone been there and can comment?

We've been to Tortola, rented a car and went to Cane Garden Bay, it's a beautiful little Island, very hilly and lots of switch backs. We've been to the Southern Caribbean twice and love the ports, guess you have to decide if it's ports or ship that you're going for, such decisions! Enjoy which ever you choose

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It depends on what you're looking for in a cruise. A big floating resort with zip-lining, flow-riders and headline entertainment or a smaller ship that can visit more ports of call.

I prefer the smaller ships - Either Serenade and Jewel would be my pick for ship. Jewel is by far my choice based on itinerary. The southern island offer significantly more variety and I prefer more ports and fewer sea days. But others will clearly have different preferences.

With a 16 yr. old, I would pick Oasis for sure!! Tons of things to do and Oasis is the destination, not the ports. We LOVED Oasis and are cruising on Allure this Sept.

Not all kids prefer bigger ships. I booked my son's high school graduation cruise (he was 17) on a Voyager Class, rather than the alternative which was a Radiance Class,thinking he'd prefer the larger ship. (He'd cruised a couple of times previously.) He is adamant that he prefers smaller ships. I think we tend to assume young people want the larger ships with all the bells and whistles, but that's not always the case.