Horrible proof to fly in early for a cruise :(

Medtech2

:(

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/26/travel/chicago-ohare-midway-flights-stopped/index.html

They just interviewed several different people at the airport in Chicago who are going to miss their cruises due to the deliberately set fire...

Even making plans to fly out a day ahead was foiled.

I feel for all those affected!

:(

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/26/travel/chicago-ohare-midway-flights-stopped/index.html

They just interviewed several different people at the airport in Chicago who are going to miss their cruises due to the deliberately set fire...

Even making plans to fly out a day ahead was foiled.

I feel for all those affected!

C'est la vie !!

That truly sucks but there are other airports if they are willing to drive. Milwaukee is 2-3 hours drive. Four to five hour drive to Detroit. I wonder if the airlines would accommodate leaving out of an alternate airport in this circumstance. I'd certainly be willing to drive to get to my cruise!

I take it to be proof that people need good insurance!

I agree, it's a sad situation and also agree with the comments that some people haven't got the money, or in fact the capability, to travel to another airport: That's if there are even any flights available.

Also feel very sad for the person who felt so very low as to feel this was their only option in life.

If they got in a car right now they could drive to the cruise port and make it! I've driven to Miami for a cruise from Chicago. It's a long drive but if the option is no cruise, you do what you gotta do.

I don't feel that sorry for them. I'd make it work.

Non of the surrounding airports are going to work . All flights Nation wide have been affected.. At Ohare alone it was 800 flights (canceled) at 10 this morning.

The drive Idea is best .. You rent a one way and fly back as scheduled..

Edited by mpk218

Non of the surrounding airports are going to work . All flights Nation wide have been affected.. At Ohare alone it was 800 flights (canceled) at 10 this morning.

That's what I'd do too if I were these people and have the means to do so, rent a car and drive through out the night.

We made plans to arrive in Miami the day before our cruise in Dec. from Dallas. Well, I knew there was going to be a winter storm the day before so had my dd drop us off at the airport that night for the flight in the morning...well, we got 7" of pure ice and they didnt cancel our flight until late afternoon the day we were supposed to fly out at 7:00am....We couldnt rebook until they actually canceled the flight...we managed to ge a flight the next morng from Austin which was day of the cruise...the only one we could get was not going to Miami, it was going to Ft Lauderdale...we had no shuttle booked or anyting. It took almost 8hrs to drive what normally took about 3hrs. We go to Ft Ladurdale at almost 2pm...we managed to get the last shuttle from NCL to the port and got borded about 15 min before the Muster Drill..:eek:..too much stress for me...

Yes, flights were impacted nationwide.

BUT - some flights still left from other airports. If there were seats, the airlines would work with you. It is not like all the planes in their system had to fly in and out of Chicago ONLY.

INSURANCE - not sure how much help it is for those trying to get to their cruise. It pays after the fact.

MONEY - For those that are determined to not carry extra credit cards - well, in times like this, they sure would come in handy. Damn cheap insurance right there - FREE.

Sucks............but always have a back up plan. Our next cruise is out of Tampa. We live right outside of Philly so of course will be flying out of PHL early Saturday AM for our Sunday cruise. If their are issues we can go out of Newark or Baltimore. Worse comes to worse we could drive to Tampa is 18 hours......not that I would want to ever do that buts it possible.

Edited by Laszlo

P.S. And mpk218, I sure hope you're not referring to the individual who tried to kill himself as a "pain in the a$$". This individual needs help, not contempt.

I dunno... my supply of compassion for these idiots is starting to run very low. Should we have compassion for the Boston Bombers, too? Where does it end? I have far more compassion for the thousands of passengers and other individuals who were either put in harms way or seriously inconvenienced. And if you don't believe that setting fire to an ATC facility puts others in serious danger... putting the safety of others in that kind of jeopardy is where my compassion runs fresh out.

I tend to agree with mpk218 -- the guy's a pain in the ass.

Edited by triptolemus

Read a post in a Carnival group on Facebook just a few minutes ago by a person in Chicago who is sailing on the Breeze tomorrow. They've already started driving and figure that if everything goes OK they should make it in time tomorrow.

If they got in a car right now they could drive to the cruise port and make it! I've driven to Miami for a cruise from Chicago. It's a long drive but if the option is no cruise, you do what you gotta do.

I don't feel that sorry for them. I'd make it work.

If they have a perfect car

If they have a perfect driver that can drive that far

If they are not elderly

If.. If...

Your comment was a bit selfish as you have no idea about the abilities of those that missed the cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't some airlines cancel ticket if you don't make the first flight?

Don't some airlines cancel ticket if you don't make the first flight?

Yes, you must call the airline and get them to flag the return flight. Otherwise the systems will cancel the return most of the time if the first leg is not flown. Some might not, if the flight out is canceled, but I would not count on it.