Photo blog of our day in Bonaire

AryMay

After doing several photo reviews here on Cruise Critic, I have started a blog to record my trip reports all in one place. Although we were in Bonaire back in December of 2013, I have just finished transferring the photos to the blog. Here is the link:

My Souvenir Memories Blog

Hopefully some of you will enjoy the pictures and seeing how we spent our day in Bonaire. (I have also covered lots of other ports from other cruises as well. Use the archive list to navigate through the blog.)

Having snorkeled in many places in the Caribbean, I can definitely say the reefs around Bonaire were some of the most beautiful!

IMG_4927.JPG

Edited by AryMay

Thank you for your blog. I really enjoyed the photos. We are booked with Woodwind for our Jan 2017 NOS cruise. I know I know so early but I didn't want to take the chance they are fully booked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful pictures! Would you expand on the trouble the salt you purchased caused you later? Was there a problem trying to get it back into the States/bringing it home?

Apparently having a white substance (like salt) in your carry-on luggage makes the TSA agents very suspicious! ;) Here is a link to the post about what happened from when I originally did my cruise review on the Princess boards.

Getting through the Ft. Lauderdale Airport!

(I am slowly transferring all of my cruise review posts into my blog.) I can laugh about this now, but my salt almost caused me to miss my flight!

Edited by AryMay

After doing several photo reviews here on Cruise Critic, I have started a blog to record my trip reports all in one place. Although we were in Bonaire back in December of 2013, I have just finished transferring the photos to the blog. Here is the link:

Hopefully some of you will enjoy the pictures and seeing how we spent our day in Bonaire. (I have also covered lots of other ports from other cruises as well. Use the archive list to navigate through the blog.)

Having snorkeled in many places in the Caribbean, I can definitely say the reefs around Bonaire were some of the most beautiful!

IMG_4927.JPG

That photo is stunning! Looking forward to snorkeling while we're there [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
You have done a really great job with your blog. Thank you for sharing it with us!

If I thought I wanted to go to Bonaire before, I really want to go there now! :D

Thanks! Doing this blog helps me re-live our fun adventures all over again. I only wish I had started this years ago!!

Our credit card company allows users to upload a personal photo to use on the card and I used the turtle photo from our snorkeling tour in Bonaire! I get a lot of comments on it when using the card and it is fun to tell people that I was REALLY there!! :)

Edited by AryMay

• 3 months later...

Having snorkeled in many places in the Caribbean, I can definitely say the reefs around Bonaire were some of the most beautiful

IMG_4927.JPG

Great pictures in your blog! You mentioned "problems with the salt," but I didn't want to search through other posts in the blog to find out what that problem was, can you elaborate? I'm guessing you couldn't get it through customs maybe?

Great pictures in your blog! You mentioned "problems with the salt," but I didn't want to search through other posts in the blog to find out what that problem was, can you elaborate? I'm guessing you couldn't get it through customs maybe?

Almost right! Our flight out of FLL was delayed and we weren't going to make our connection so they switched us to another flight that was leaving immediately. When my carry-on bag went through the scanner, the salt looked suspicious and caused them to open the bag and inspect it thoroughly. I was really starting to panic because we literally only had a couple of minutes to get to the gate.

We did make it on the flight, but just barely. They were closing the doors behind us as we got on! :rolleyes:

Yikes!! That must have been stressful. Glad you made it onto your plane and that they let you keep your salt :) I'll be sure to buy some when I get there. I love picking up native spices for cooking. St Lucia has the best nutmeg ($2 a bag) and mexico has delicious vanilla.

Yikes!! That must have been stressful. Glad you made it onto your plane and that they let you keep your salt :) I'll be sure to buy some when I get there. I love picking up native spices for cooking. St Lucia has the best nutmeg ($2 a bag) and mexico has delicious vanilla.

Grenada was also one of the ports on the same cruise as Bonaire and it was a great place to stock up on spices and vanilla. In fact, it is known as the "spice island." We did a tour of the island and got to tour a nutmeg factory!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

AryMay, You mentioned in your blog that the water at the reef was choppy. And indeed it was judging by your picture! Do you know if it is typically like that in that area or was this due to the weather that day? Thank you for sharing. Enjoyed the Bonaire and Aruba posts on your blog.

• 3 weeks later...
AryMay, You mentioned in your blog that the water at the reef was choppy. And indeed it was judging by your picture! Do you know if it is typically like that in that area or was this due to the weather that day? Thank you for sharing. Enjoyed the Bonaire and Aruba posts on your blog.

I'm sorry...I somehow missed this question!

I honestly don't know, but would guess the storm was the reason for the waves we experienced. Even with the rough conditions I still consider Bonaire the best snorkeling that I have done although I have been to some pretty great locations! (Roatan and Hawaii are definitely in top positions as well!)

Arymay, thanks for the review and link to your blog. :) I will be in Bonaire April 2017 and booked Woodwind because of you. Thanks so much.

You will have a great time...they are a top notch operation!

• 2 months later...
Fabulous photo blog! Thanks for sharing! We are doing the Southern Caribbean on Royal Princess in Feb with same itinerary as yours so your pics and info are very helpful.

Thank you! The Southern Caribbean ports are some of my favorites!

I had to check out the link to your photos as well and they are amazing. You are so fortunate to have traveled so extensively! :)

Thank you! The Southern Caribbean ports are some of my favorites!

I had to check out the link to your photos as well and they are amazing. You are so fortunate to have traveled so extensively! :)

Yes we are very fortunate to be able to travel and experience this amazing world of ours! I can get a bit carried away with photos both above and under the water :) I have just had email confirmation from Levi in Dominica that we can do the same tour you did in your blog. So excited!:D Also planning to do Klein Bonaire snorkel either on our own or with Woodwind. Trying to decide whether a guided snorkel is needed or if I should just take water taxi for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_4927.JPG

Wow, those underwater pictures are awesome. What make and model of camera did you use?

Wow, those underwater pictures are awesome. What make and model of camera did you use?

The turtle photo I posted and a few of the others on my blog were taken by the professional photographer that was with our Woodwind snorkel tour. We were able to buy a CD with all of the photos taken on the tour.

All of the other underwater photos from Bonaire were taken by my friend, Laurel. She had a brand new underwater camera and I believe it was a Panasonic, but I'm not sure what model. Any of the other underwater photos you see on other posts on my blog were ones that I have taken with my Canon D10 camera.