Car Rental in Bonaire

weihefamily

Hello! We will be visiting Bonaire for our first time in Januray '16. We are only there from 7am-2pm. Thinking of renting a car and doing some exploring on our own. Any suggestion on rental companies? Does anyone know if there are car rental companies at the pier? We are traveling with a group of 5 of us - ranging from 6 years old to 70 years old. Thanks!!!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

It has been a few years back now, but we made reservations and rented from Avis. The first thing I would check on is when they open, and have a person there. We arrived at 7am, and got over to the office fairly quickly, only to find out that they did not open (if I remember correctly) until 9am. It is possible that this has changed, but check ahead. Email the rental office directly to confirm. The 800 number may not have accurate information.

Other than that, the autos were good, roads were good, they drive on the right, and we had a great time with no problems. The first time we rented a jeep for the two of us, and the second time a mini van for 6 of us. The van was narrow. Not like the US.

Have a wonderful time! I think Bonaire is unique, and still pretty rustic. Their climate is more arid like. We have been there five times, and will be back next November. Enjoy!

AC

Hello! We will be visiting Bonaire for our first time in Januray '16. We are only there from 7am-2pm. Thinking of renting a car and doing some exploring on our own. Any suggestion on rental companies? Does anyone know if there are car rental companies at the pier? We are traveling with a group of 5 of us - ranging from 6 years old to 70 years old. Thanks!!!

The closest is Hertz. They have an office at the Divi Flamingo hotel, which is only a couple blocks away from the ship and a very easy walk. Thing is, I don't think they open until 8. Also, this is Bonaire. Checking out the car is a 30 minute, lackadaisical process. 7am-2pm is terrible. You'll still have plenty of time to drive the whole southern half of the island, along with a stop at one of my highest recommendations...Lac Bay.

Edited by Aquahound