Southwest air

karinad

I made reservations for the first time with SW last month. There's a sale now and the same flight is a lower fare. Does SW give you the lower fare? I looked on their site and haven't found the answer. Thanks!

Yes Southwest will give you the lower price and they don't charge a change fee either. The credit amount will be held to use within a year of the original purchase. I think you use the change itinerary function but if you look up your confirmation you should be able to find out how to make the change.

Just be cautious when using that credit on future flights, because once you initiate the credit on a future ticket it changes the date of purchase for that ticket to original credit purchase. I know it sounds confusing but I purchase tickets in April for June flight, had a $30 credit/per ticket from that flight. When I booked future tickets for December and went to add credit from previous savings it changed my ticket to an April purchase date. So when I noticed a drop in fare for that flight, which also was another $29/per ticket I only have until next April to use that credit amount instead of June when I purchased the tickets originally for the December flight. Lesson learned I will always book flights separately and apply credit toward lower fare ticket.

Just be cautious when using that credit on future flights, because once you initiate the credit on a future ticket it changes the date of purchase for that ticket to original credit purchase. I know it sounds confusing but I purchase tickets in April for June flight, had a $30 credit/per ticket from that flight. When I booked future tickets for December and went to add credit from previous savings it changed my ticket to an April purchase date. So when I noticed a drop in fare for that flight, which also was another $29/per ticket I only have until next April to use that credit amount instead of June when I purchased the tickets originally for the December flight. Lesson learned I will always book flights separately and apply credit toward lower fare ticket.

Put another way, the credit is tied to the original purchase date (good for 12 months). You can't "kick the can down the road", even when a ticket is a blend of credits and additional money. That's true with every airline I can think of, the difference being SWA doesn't charge a change fee (yet). Otherwise the snowballing expenses from unclaimed credits that would have to be reported on balance sheets.

Another FYI....in most cases, vouchers for voluntarily or involuntarily being bumped off a flight or being inconvenienced are good for 12 months from the *original date of travel*. Example: Your flight today (Aug 5, 2015) is oversold, and you volunteer to give up your seat for a confirmed seat on a later flight plus a $250 voucher for future travel. The future travel must be completed by August 4, 2016.

Edited by kenish