Port of Long Beach car rentals?

luvabargain

Are there any car rental places in the Port of Long Beach vicinity? I'm trying to figure out the best way for us to get to and from the airport. We will be flying into LAX. I'm thinking of just staying at an airport hotel and then shuttle/taxi/rental car over to the port the next day. We have to have a means back to the airport when the cruise is over, also. I was thinking that if there is a rental place at the airport and near the port we could reserve a car on the day we sail and then again on the day we come back, and it would be cheaper and easier with a family of 4. What do you seasoned experts think?

Booked Carnival Pride 4/29/07 - Mexican Riviera

We did the Pride a few years ago and flew from BDL to LAX. We came in a few days early and rented with Budget at LAX. My husband dropped us off with the bagggage and went back and dropped off the vehichle at the Long Beach location - wasn't too far away. Check mapquest for directions and mileage. The code for the Long Beach office is LG2. We are planning on a Pride Feb 08 cruise and staying in Redondo Beach before the cruise. We are always on a budget so I try to save $$$ without compromising safety. There was some good advice by CJW and Bruin steve. If you don't mind driving in a city and have a good navigator, go for it. I must say the freeways aren't for the timid. If you like having someone else do the driving then don't rent, if you are quite independant, go for it. Hope this helps

Thank you! This is exactly the answer I'm looking for. I am very familiar with driving in LA, we usually have our own car. We are trying to find the most cost effective way to get there and back for the 4 of us. I will check into Budget and see what I can come up with.

Unless you are planning to come early and/or stay over after your cruise, I think it makes a lot more sense to cab or shuttle to/from LAX to either Long Beach or San Pedro. Getting a car to go back to the airport can be problematic in either place, and you can have problems with one-way rentals from LAX as well (limited companies in these areas, offices often closed on certain days, drop off fees, etc.).

Since you are already planning to stay at an airport hotel, virtually all of them provide free shuttles from LAX, and you can arrange a shuttle, car service or cab from the hotels to the port as easily as you can from the airport. Going back to the airport, you will find shuttles and cabs aplenty waiting when you disembark. Of course you would need to make reservations for a car service.

Check your pricing, and you can do well with either a cab, car service, or shuttle, and have less hassle and problems with finding locations, etc. as well. You can do both shuttle and car hire through http://www.supershuttle.com

Are there any car rental places in the Port of Long Beach vicinity? I'm trying to figure out the best way for us to get to and from the airport. We will be flying into LAX. I'm thinking of just staying at an airport hotel and then shuttle/taxi/rental car over to the port the next day. We have to have a means back to the airport when the cruise is over, also. I was thinking that if there is a rental place at the airport and near the port we could reserve a car on the day we sail and then again on the day we come back, and it would be cheaper and easier with a family of 4. What do you seasoned experts think?

Booked Carnival Pride 4/29/07 - Mexican Riviera

The closest rental agency to Long Beach pier is Enterprise. However, the Pride sails on Sundays, and Enterprise is closed on Sundays. The easiest way to handle what you are planning is to rent a car, drop everyone and the luggage off at the pier, then return the car to a downtown Long Beach location and take a taxi back to the pier. Then reverse the process when the cruise is over. Two that I know of that will do this is Hertz and Avis.

However, I am not sure that this would be less expensive than a taxi, and a taxi would be a lot less hassle.

We did the Pride a few years ago and flew from BDL to LAX. We came in a few days early and rented with Budget at LAX. My husband dropped us off with the bagggage and went back and dropped off the vehichle at the Long Beach location - wasn't too far away. Check mapquest for directions and mileage. The code for the Long Beach office is LG2. We are planning on a Pride Feb 08 cruise and staying in Redondo Beach before the cruise. We are always on a budget so I try to save $$$ without compromising safety. There was some good advice by CJW and Bruin steve. If you don't mind driving in a city and have a good navigator, go for it. I must say the freeways aren't for the timid. If you like having someone else do the driving then don't rent, if you are quite independant, go for it. Hope this helps

Did your husband walk back, take a taxi or do they have a shuttle? I'm still trying to figure out the best plan for us.

Did your husband walk back, take a taxi or do they have a shuttle? I'm still trying to figure out the best plan for us.

He didn't walk back. See the photo below. Downtown Long Beach is just above the Aquarium of the Pacific. The only way to get from downtown to the pier is the road on the left side of the photo. I would say you are looking at a three mile walk. Take a taxi if no shuttle is available.

LongBeachportarea.jpg

My husband took a taxi back with another couple in our group. He doesn't think it was more than $10 and it was definitely less than 10 minutes back to the port. It probably also depends how much traffic is at the port also.

• 10 months later...

Archived