Credit Cards Need PIN in Denmark

US passengers who don't have a PIN number can usually use their credit card no problem. However, the 'chip and pin' machines are becoming more extensive across Europe (its just about all we have in the UK now). As I say, you can usually use a card without a pin, but this what the machine looks like.

chippiJPOWELL050107_228x345.jpg

(there are variations, but this is a typical one)

You put your card (with the gold or silver coloured microchip on) in the machine, it displays the charge, you put in a 4 number pin and the transaction goes through. Nearly all outlets use them now. One big thing to be aware of. Never let the 'retailer' (especially waiters in restaurants and bars) take your card away...they can bring the machine to you. Credit card fraud is rife in the UK. Its no rpoblem if you are careful. You wouldn't let your wallet/purse out of your sight; same goes for your card.

Simon

US passengers who don't have a PIN number can usually use their credit card no problem. However, the 'chip and pin' machines are becoming more extensive across Europe (its just about all we have in the UK now). As I say, you can usually use a card without a pin, but this what the machine looks like.

chippiJPOWELL050107_228x345.jpg

(there are variations, but this is a typical one)

You put your card (with the gold or silver coloured microchip on) in the machine, it displays the charge, you put in a 4 number pin and the transaction goes through. Nearly all outlets use them now. One big thing to be aware of. Never let the 'retailer' (especially waiters in restaurants and bars) take your card away...they can bring the machine to you. Credit card fraud is rife in the UK. Its no rpoblem if you are careful. You wouldn't let your wallet/purse out of your sight; same goes for your card.

Simon

In Tivoli, none of my cards would work without a PIN.

Simon

Simon,

Thanks for the helpful explanation with pictures! I think the problem for most Americans is not so much the PIN, but that American cards generally do NOT have the microchip. Any idea how usable non-chipped cards might be?

I had this problem last time we were in Copenhagen. Did not have a pin for my Mastercard, so could not use the automated machine at the railway station or subway station. I now have a pin, so if I understand correctly, I should be able to use the automated machine even though my credit card does not have a chip. Is this correct?

Simon,

Thanks for the helpful explanation with pictures! I think the problem for most Americans is not so much the PIN, but that American cards generally do NOT have the microchip. Any idea how usable non-chipped cards might be?

To be honest, I'm not sure. We have had chipped cards for at least 5 years now, so no one has an unchipped card. A lot of the readers don't have the swipe reader any more to read the magnetic strip. I'm afraid you'll have to try and get comments from your compatriots on ease of use.

I had this problem last time we were in Copenhagen. Did not have a pin for my Mastercard, so could not use the automated machine at the railway station or subway station. I now have a pin, so if I understand correctly, I should be able to use the automated machine even though my credit card does not have a chip. Is this correct?

As above, most of the readers now don't read the magnetic strip reader either. I don't know how you can have a PIN if you haven't got a chipped card. Might be worth a phone call to your CC company for clarification.

Simon

As above, most of the readers now don't read the magnetic strip reader either. I don't know how you can have a PIN if you haven't got a chipped card. Might be worth a phone call to your CC company for clarification.

Simon

In the U.S. a PIN is used when getting cash advances from an ATM. Every time I receive a new card, I am prompted to add a PIN if I want it. Because such cash advances are at a steep interest rate, I never use them. However, I always add a PIN just in case I must use it someday.

Strictly as anecdotal evidence, we just returned from a Baltic cruise out of Copenhagen and used our non-chip cards extensively. Sometimes we were asked for a PIN, sometimes not. We were never refused service for lack of a chip, but we never had to use our cards in an automated situation, e.g., a train ticket machine.

We got the JP Morgan card (with the chip) specifically for our trip but after getting it, I realized, there is no pin, just a chip. It is called a "Pin and sign" card. When I called JP about this, they said that you sign instead of entering your pin and that merchants should know this. Just ask to sign instead. I do have a pin for the card but that is for a cash advance from a ATM machine, of which we would only do in the case of an emergency because there is high interested from the moment you withdraw.

I hope we do not have trouble using it. We do have every backup mentioned on these boards!

This is a frustrating topic since its hard to understand why the US credit card issuers continue to use last centuries technology. Chip/PIN cards are now the standard nearly everywhere in the Western World except here in the USA. We do a lot of international travel and have found that we can no longer assume that our US issued cards will be accepted in Europe. Sometimes the merchants, restaurants and other places will take a US card and other times they will refuse. This means we now rely more and more on our ATM cards and cash. In fact, we will no longer enter a restaurant unless we have enough cash to pay our expected tab...or we ask as soon as we enter if they will accept an obsolete US credit card.

The situation is getting worse every year. When we drive in Europe we know that our US cards will no longer work at gas pumps (which is sometimes the only way to buy gas), in many types of ticket vending machines (for trains, buses, metro, etc) etc. Last year when we checked-in at a high-end B&B in Brugge the owner immedately warned us that his card reader would no longer accept non Chip/PIN cards (we had to hit the ATM everyday to get enough cash).

Hank

We got the JP Morgan card (with the chip) specifically for our trip but after getting it, I realized, there is no pin, just a chip. It is called a "Pin and sign" card. When I called JP about this, they said that you sign instead of entering your pin and that merchants should know this. Just ask to sign instead. I do have a pin for the card but that is for a cash advance from a ATM machine, of which we would only do in the case of an emergency because there is high interested from the moment you withdraw.

I hope we do not have trouble using it. We do have every backup mentioned on these boards!

We are in Canada and we are able to use just chip and sign but only for purchases less than $50; otherwise, we need to enter the 4 digit pin.

Hank, I think you might be over stating the case a little, although clearly we are headed in the direction you state. Denmark may be the most progressive, but the rest of Europe is not there yet.

I am writing this from Innsbruck. We have been in central Europe for 3 weeks now - Germany, France, Austria, entering Switzerland tomorrow. Still have just under a week in Europe. We have been declined on our cards exactly twice. Most of the card readers see an American card and accept it. Occasionally we have to tell the cashier it is an American card, a button or two are pushed, and we have a sale.

Yes, some cafes and restaurants don't accept cards, but that is for everyone, not just Americans. We have used our cards at stores, gas stations, toll roads, restaurants hotels, castles, tours, you name it.

This is a frustrating topic since its hard to understand why the US credit card issuers continue to use last centuries technology. Chip/PIN cards are now the standard nearly everywhere in the Western World except here in the USA. We do a lot of international travel and have found that we can no longer assume that our US issued cards will be accepted in Europe. Sometimes the merchants, restaurants and other places will take a US card and other times they will refuse. This means we now rely more and more on our ATM cards and cash. In fact, we will no longer enter a restaurant unless we have enough cash to pay our expected tab...or we ask as soon as we enter if they will accept an obsolete US credit card.

The situation is getting worse every year. When we drive in Europe we know that our US cards will no longer work at gas pumps (which is sometimes the only way to buy gas), in many types of ticket vending machines (for trains, buses, metro, etc) etc. Last year when we checked-in at a high-end B&B in Brugge the owner immedately warned us that his card reader would no longer accept non Chip/PIN cards (we had to hit the ATM everyday to get enough cash).

Hank

They don't use it because they would have to spend money to pay for cards with the chip and they have no incentive to do that. US terminals for the most part don't have a chip reader. The reason it has not been adapted in the US for the cards or terminals is that the laws here do not make merchants or consumers liable for fraudulent charges. The reason for chip and pin is to offload liability to us consumers. Since they can't do that so no hurry to issue chip and pin cards or terminals.

I think the problem is that retailers in Europe no longer have the machine to put the card into where you swipe a paper receipt and then sign it. They just don't have this option anymore.

I know that in 7-Eleven in Denmark, it's possible to pay with and without PIN and also without chip. The register just automatically print a receipt if signing are needed.

The problem is that if the card is stolen the retailers won't get a penny without chip and PIN.

I know that in 7-Eleven in Denmark, it's possible to pay with and without PIN and also without chip. The register just automatically print a receipt if signing are needed.

The problem is that if the card is stolen the retailers won't get a penny without chip and PIN.

And that is one of the reasons retailers in the US don't have chip and pin terminals. Retailers are not liable.

Last year, we tried to get a chip and pin card, but our existing credit card companies did not know what we meant. One sent us a pin --- but it didn't work when I tried it.

I used my debit card extensively across Denmark. Restaurants generally accepted US style credit cards --- but I would often need to make a trip to their cash register to sign.

I was successful using the automated train machine at the airport, but had trouble .. even with my ATM card .. elsewhere. So I purchased all my train tickets at 7-11.

The only place where I had any trouble was a clothing store in Kiel. I spoke no German and the salewoman spoke no English. I was attempting to use my debit card .... so she printed out a reciept for me to sign which worked just fine there.

When we drive in Europe we know that our US cards will no longer work at gas pumps (which is sometimes the only way to buy gas), in many types of ticket vending machines (for trains, buses, metro, etc) etc. Last year when we checked-in at a high-end B&B in Brugge the owner immedately warned us that his card reader would no longer accept non Chip/PIN cards (we had to hit the ATM everyday to get enough cash).

Hank

If you pay inside instead at the pump you should be able to use your US card. Howeverm I would check each time and havew not have any issues as long as the person at the register know what to do.

If you pay inside instead at the pump you should be able to use your US card. Howeverm I would check each time and havew not have any issues as long as the person at the register know what to do.

I did that in Germany and in Belgium using my Capital One cc and had no problem... I did ask the clerk first if I can use my cc.

We got a PIN before traveling to Scandinavia. The machines at train stations were automated but the ticket windows with real people could take our credit card with a PIN. All shops and restaurants required a PIN. I would get take at least two credit cards and have number only PINs assigned to each one. Our favorite credit card company will set up a PIN via telephone. We have not had to use our PIN in England or Italy, and infrequently in Spain and Portugal. Consistely required in Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

We got a PIN before traveling to Scandinavia. The machines at train stations were automated but the ticket windows with real people could take our credit card with a PIN. All shops and restaurants required a PIN. I would get take at least two credit cards and have number only PINs assigned to each one. Our favorite credit card company will set up a PIN via telephone. We have not had to use our PIN in England or Italy, and infrequently in Spain and Portugal. Consistely required in Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

I'm just wondering, when you used your pin were you then charged interest immediately like a cash advance? ALL of my credit card companies told me this week (I called after reading this) that IF I enter a PIN then even if I'm at a restaurant or store they will treat it like a cash advance from an ATM. I have cards from Chase, Citi and Bank of America.

Archived