How to Convince People Carnival isn't a "Drunk Fest"

MrBanana1240

I've been wanted to cruise with my friends for a while, and we never really pursued it until now. They asked what ship I was going on in November, and I said "Carnival --" and I couldn't even say Glory before they said no. They think it's a drunk Fest. Well, to start, it's a 7 day cruise, not a short one. Secondly, it's eastern Caribbean, and I've read that more people find the eastern Caribbean cruises more mellow, rather than the western ones, idk.

What should I say to convince them that the Glory is a great ship and it's not a drunk Fest? Or is it better for me to keep them off the Glory and onto a different ship. They've cruised Royal before.

Thanks anyone who can help me.

I have to agree with you....the longer cruises are not quite so party-hearty. Actually the only cruise on Carnival where I've ever seen drunk-fest was a 5 day out of Tampa. Sure you will see a person or two who has overindulged - but you can't tell me for a single moment that there are none of those on Royal!

If you can get them to read some of the reviews, especially from family people, that might help?

Good luck - IMO you can't beat Carnival for good value and wonderful times!

Ask them where they got their info. If they haven't seen it for themselves then they are being pretty close minded.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

I will admit I was told by people I wouldn't like Carnival after sailing Royal. I didn't cruise for years and last year decided I wanted to cruise again. Couldn't beat Carnivals prices so I booked it expecting a party boat. I had more fun then any other cruise and realistically couldn't see myself cruising with any other line.

There was the occasional person especially one guy coming back from Cabo who over indulged in port and a few woman who wanted to fight on Serenity after Cabo but you put 2400 people on a boat it is going to happen no matter what line you cruise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've been wanted to cruise with my friends for a while, and we never really pursued it until now. They asked what ship I was going on in November, and I said "Carnival --" and I couldn't even say Glory before they said no. They think it's a drunk Fest. Well, to start, it's a 7 day cruise, not a short one. Secondly, it's eastern Caribbean, and I've read that more people find the eastern Caribbean cruises more mellow, rather than the western ones, idk.

What should I say to convince them that the Glory is a great ship and it's not a drunk Fest? Or is it better for me to keep them off the Glory and onto a different ship. They've cruised Royal before.

My family and I have been on three cruises with Carnival--The Dream, Liberty, and the Breeze. This spring we will cruise the Valor. I get the same thing--people THINK they know what Carnival is all about.

But they really don't.

It would shock me if the Glory is any different then any ship we have been on. I have not noticed what your friends are claiming happens on Carnival. I have seen people having fun and that is what the trip is all about. Now granted, I don't usually make 11pm, but with that said, I have not heard anything in the hallways either!!

All of our trips have been heavenly. (Might have something to do with leaving the frozen tundra of MN!!) but, honestly, I don't think you will have any issues on the Glory. Let others cruise with other cruise lines--I am sure those lines are good too. But my family's choice is Carnival. We have fun and that's what it is all about!! No complaints so far.

I will admit I was told by people I wouldn't like Carnival after sailing Royal. I didn't cruise for years and last year decided I wanted to cruise again. Couldn't beat Carnivals prices so I booked it expecting a party boat. I had more fun then any other cruise and realistically couldn't see myself cruising with any other line.

There was the occasional person especially one guy coming back from Cabo who over indulged in port and a few woman who wanted to fight on Serenity after Cabo but you put 2400 people on a boat it is going to happen no matter what line you cruise.

Carnival cruises are about having fun and that is what you do.

So they haven't cruised Carnival before and just going on what they heard?

I'd hope they give Carnival a shot one time and if they don't care for it no hard feelings. But I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to convince them.

Sounds like they already made up their mind. I wouldn't waste my time trying to convince them.

I'd just tell them what ship and date your sailing and that they're more than welcome to join you.

Do your friends know you well?

And do they think that you would enjoy an Animal House Cruise?

Do your friends think you are a drunk or just stupid?

I had someone at work ask me if Carnival was really like the reputation.

I said that it was not and the other person said that they did not think that it could be since I liked it.

I went on a cruise this spring with some family members.

One gentleman did not enjoy being there.

He ended up not speaking to me for the last two days of the cruise and for seven hours on the drive home.

And I have not talked to or seen him since May even though he lives three miles away, I pass his house daily and I am very close to his wife.

So, my advice is not to go anywhere with another adult who does not want to be there.

He does not like Carnival, Mexico, Obama, and me.

Oh, just found out they have another cruise planned with family.

Better them than me.

Just saying...

If it helps I have been on Glory.

It was not a drunk fest.

Edited by mzloolue
the woman cannot spell

Not sure I would try too hard to convince them. Tell them what you enjoy and see how they react.

There are some drunks on board. There are some (fill in the blank) people on board. No one else determines whether I have fun. Well maybe people trying to get strollers on and off elevators annoy me for about 45 seconds.

Do your friends know you well?

And do they think that you would enjoy an Animal House Cruise?

Do your friends think you are a drunk or just stupid?

I had someone at work ask me if Carnival was really like the reputation.

I said that it was not and the other person said that they did not think that it could be since I liked it.

Good points, if they are your friends then they should know that you'd never lead them wrong or put them in the middle of a ''drunk fest''.

My sisters are the same way. One sister won't go on a land vacation to Cancun, because "it's dangerous " ; the other one doesn't think Carnival "maintains their ships because people were stranded once". They both say they won't cruise because "people get sick on boats".

Sometimes there is no convincing. I no longer try to attempt to defend my vacation choices as it will never change their preconceived opinions. The one that will not go to cancun will miss a family wedding next year, but you can't please everyone. If she went she would find something wrong with the vacation spot and make me miserable on the trip.

I'm not going to let their incorrect opinions determine my happiness on my vacation. Go on your vacation without them or find new friends that already appreciate what Carnival has to offer. Enjoy your trip on Glory--you will have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruised Royal last year and decided to cruise Carnival this summer. We heard it all also. Read all the negative and positives. Did we see blatantly drunk people? Wasn't looking for them. One older gentleman was hard to miss-had to be constantly turned around by his daughter on the way to their room and kept walking into the walls. My boys said they witnessed a fist fight between some older boys who they think were drunk. OK , totally expected on any vacation where alcohol is available. So make your plans, tell your friends you are excited about your vacation and to feel free to join you. If they don't--make some friends aboard the ship. It's easy to do. Plenty of friendly people onboard.

Lisa

You might as well save your breath and not try.

If you really want to cruise with them that much ... just go on the RCCL they like. Hopefully, it will be Oasis/Allure which you would like. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Carnival brands their product as "The Fun Ships" and in doing so attracts people from all walks of life that relate to having fun on vacation.

I don't know anything about your friends, but some people can only associate the word fun with drinking alcohol or getting high. So if Carnival is the Fun Ships it must then certainly be a drunk fest. Right?

The image of fun as being away together with friends, family and loved ones... the concept of fun being laughing, dancing, dining, meeting and talking to new people and sharing good times together is not the 1st image that comes to these peoples mind when they hear the word fun.

People who have cruised on Carnival "get it." Those, like your friends that never have ... never will. Carnival has a multi- million dollar annual ad budget that could be spent to re-invent it's perceived image among the closed minded. But they don't. It would be a total waste of $$$ for them to try to convert the closed minded and it would be a total waste of your time to try to convince your friends that they are wrong.

Have a great time on the Glory and tell them to go sail Princess. If they are single they'll most certainly "get lucky" every night. After all, it IS the Love Boat. If... you know what I mean.

Edited by AdGuyMG

I wouldn't try to convince them to sail on Carnival either. If any little nitpicky thing goes wrong or isn't to their liking you are going to be blamed. Cruise with them on RCCL or go with others or solo on Carnival.

Edited by YB Nrml

You might as well save your breath and not try.

If you really want to cruise with them that much ... just go on the RCCL they like. Hopefully, it will be Oasis/Allure which you would like. :)

LuLu

I say go with friends that'll cruise Carnival with you.

Well my first cruise was on rccl about 8 years ago. We had a group of 6 of us and we were drinking by noon most days. So tell them its no different. I agree with above posters that said don't try to talk them into it. They will find one person who annoys them and blame you for "talking them into it."

Even though most people that frequent this board do love Carnival, it really isn't for everybody, so don't try to convince your friends. Even if there isn't a single drunk on your cruise, that doesn't mean they'll like it.

My parents have been on Carnival several times. Every time because I planned the trip. But they don't like it. To use my mother's words, they tolerate it. And it's not because there's anything wrong with Carnival but it's just not their style. In fact, when we planned our family vacation last year, the only request that they had was that I did NOT book us on Carnival. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Okay, I'll consider it. They do want to go with me, but I'm looking for reviews or stories or pictures to show them carnival isn't a cheap line. The atrium and the pictures of St.John, USVI got one, and the rating of people who loved the cruise got another. There's still other people.

But you are all right, if something does go wrong, it's my fault. I'll feel horrible, and I know our friendship will be effected it we miss Grand Turk, get stuck in a hurricane, liqueur falls off the shelves and shatters (oh god, enchantment of the seas all over again) and we get a wait or who doesn't speak amazing English.

Now that I think of it, I should try to just enjoy my vacation and if they come, they're doing it on their own volition and accord.

But it does bring up a valid point: people all around think carnival is cheap and bad, and that Royal Caribbean is the best line out there, but honestly, there's more room for me onboard if they don't go so I don't mind (:

Happy cruising everyone! I've been on the Glory for 12 nights combined between 2 cruises, with these 7 booked, and in 2015 our final two options are the Valor or the Glory. You can say I love the Glory .(:

Thanks!

Sorry, but Carnival usually is a drunk fest compared to other cruise lines. Does't really bother me that much which is why they are my primary cruise line but still a horse is a horse is a horse.

If your friends haven't sailed on Carnival before they should go and make up their own minds instead of basing their decision on someone else's (probably dramatically blown up) stories. If they have been before and have first hand knowledge, then don't bother asking them anymore.