Kayaking excursion: Nature Kayak Tour vs. Boat Cruise and Kayaking Experience

SillyTrix

Hi everyone,

Newbie here to cruising and to the board. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to which of the above excursions to take in Key West. We're looking at doing some kayaking and/or snorkelling but cannot find an independent company (like Danger Charters) that fits our times (arrive in Key West at 10; leave at 6).

So, questions are:

- If you can only do one, kayak or snorkel?

- Which excursion would be best (Nature Kayak or Boat Cruise and Kayaking Experience) if there is no independent company that can accomodate our times?

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

Hi everyone,

Newbie here to cruising and to the board. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to which of the above excursions to take in Key West. We're looking at doing some kayaking and/or snorkelling but cannot find an independent company (like Danger Charters) that fits our times (arrive in Key West at 10; leave at 6).

So, questions are:

- If you can only do one, kayak or snorkel?

- Which excursion would be best (Nature Kayak or Boat Cruise and Kayaking Experience) if there is no independent company that can accomodate our times?

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

My suggestion is the Caribbean Spirit which is listed under Sunny Days...

http://www.sunnydayskeywest.com/index.htm

Their afternoon snorkel trip boards at 12;30 for a 1:00 departure and lasts 3.5 hours which is approx 30 minutes longer than the other snorkeling trips. This gives you more time in the water. They generally go out to Sand Key which is one of the nicest places to snorkel at the reef. I went out with them this past May in the afternoon and had a great time.

Pjk

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your advice. I'm wondering if you've ever been on the Cruzan Cat. We like that 1100 time better since we have the rest of the day to walk around Key West. Do you know which 2 locations they take you for Cruzan Cat, and if those locations are as good as Sand Cay by Carribbean Spirit?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your advice. I'm wondering if you've ever been on the Cruzan Cat. We like that 1100 time better since we have the rest of the day to walk around Key West. Do you know which 2 locations they take you for Cruzan Cat, and if those locations are as good as Sand Cay by Carribbean Spirit?

Thanks a bunch!

The personal preference part is that half the enjoyment is the sail to and from either the reef or the sanctuary. Cruzin' Cat motors.

Anyway, if you look at this chart...

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/KEYWEST/keywest_map.html

...the Cat will probably go to one of the locations at the reef located at at the bottom - Sand Key, Rock Key or Eastern Dry Rocks. Sand Key is best and one of the other two is where they go if it is windy. Then on the way back they will probably (hopefully) go into the Wild Life Santruary, everything from Mule Key on the right to Boca Grande on the left. These are all nice places to snorkel and somewhere in here is Lone (or One) Pine Key and the Sponge Garden.

But keep in mind with all of the choices of where to go, they may not know where they are going until the morning of the trip or even until they are leaving Key West. They will make a decision based on the weather and wind conditions, and from info from earlier trips that day.

hth

Pjk

Archived