Something to do pre-cruise in the morning

My husband, 12 year-old son, and I are arriving on a Friday evening (June 24th - not until 8:30) and leaving on a cruise the next day, so will have limited time in Vancouver but would like to do something for 2-3 hours in the morning before boarding the ship. We would like to get to the terminal by 11:00 or 11:30 so we can be on the ship for lunch.

Potential ideas:

• Capilano Suspension Bridge - would love to see this but how long does it take to visit? Can we see in 2-3 hours (including transport from the cruise terminal area).
  • Rent bikes for 2-3 hours and tour Stanley park.
  • Other ideas?

I know there are tons of things to do and would love to extend our stay but unfortunately it just didn't work out this time, so looking for ideas to maximize the few hours we have!

If you really, really want to be onboard for lunch, then Cap is probably too tight unless you are willing to spring for a cab both ways (at least $30 each way). Bikes, if rented from the pier (more expensive, but right on the Seawall) could work - you can cycle to and loop around all of Stanley Parks exterior and get back to the pier in 90 minutes easy cycling, so your time frame would give enough scope for a few stops for pics.

Logistically your problem will be bags - unless your hotel is close enough to the pier you are happy to leave bags there, and only come back for them before you board, you are at the mercy of the longshoremens schedule for bag drop. Officially that's not until 10am, although often earlier if they get done with unloading disembarking pax. Checking the schedule its just Coral and Nieuw Amsterdam in port, so a 9:30am bag drop should be feasible but this still only gives you a very limited window if you insist on being back in time for lunch onboard.

Hopefully your hotel is downtown - in which case you can easily get going earlier, renting a bike as soon as they open (unfortunately not before 9am mostly, for some reason Vancouver business owners are lazy as heck in the mornings - it's a nightmare even trying to get a decent breakfast before 9am anywhere outside a hotel!)

Much as we enjoy the sit-down Princess embarkation lunch that they try to hide the existence of, we've started showing up at 2pm or later to board and lunching on land. It makes for a MUCH more efficient boarding - the extra step of US Customs & Immigration makes Vancouver much slower than most US ports, and your status is meaningless until the very last part since Security and CBP don't care if you're super black ultra titanium elite, they treat all and sundry equally - usually crappily;-)

If there's any way you can be persuaded to skip lunch onboard - or settle for a late buffet visit rather than a time-restricted sit-down meal - you will be able to basically double your sightseeing time.

If you really, really want to be onboard for lunch, then Cap is probably too tight unless you are willing to spring for a cab both ways (at least $30 each way). Bikes, if rented from the pier (more expensive, but right on the Seawall) could work - you can cycle to and loop around all of Stanley Parks exterior and get back to the pier in 90 minutes easy cycling, so your time frame would give enough scope for a few stops for pics.

Logistically your problem will be bags - unless your hotel is close enough to the pier you are happy to leave bags there, and only come back for them before you board, you are at the mercy of the longshoremens schedule for bag drop. Officially that's not until 10am, although often earlier if they get done with unloading disembarking pax. Checking the schedule its just Coral and Nieuw Amsterdam in port, so a 9:30am bag drop should be feasible but this still only gives you a very limited window if you insist on being back in time for lunch onboard.

Hopefully your hotel is downtown - in which case you can easily get going earlier, renting a bike as soon as they open (unfortunately not before 9am mostly, for some reason Vancouver business owners are lazy as heck in the mornings - it's a nightmare even trying to get a decent breakfast before 9am anywhere outside a hotel!)

Much as we enjoy the sit-down Princess embarkation lunch that they try to hide the existence of, we've started showing up at 2pm or later to board and lunching on land. It makes for a MUCH more efficient boarding - the extra step of US Customs & Immigration makes Vancouver much slower than most US ports, and your status is meaningless until the very last part since Security and CBP don't care if you're super black ultra titanium elite, they treat all and sundry equally - usually crappily;-)

If there's any way you can be persuaded to skip lunch onboard - or settle for a late buffet visit rather than a time-restricted sit-down meal - you will be able to basically double your sightseeing time.

Thanks - I think we will lean towards renting bikes and going to Stanley Park. I did find the Seawall Adventure Center which is near Canada Place opens at 8 so that might be an option for us. We have not booked our hotel yet - I've been sitting on that so better hurry I guess - but it will be downtown near Canada Place. I've been debating about using some credit card points to stay at Pan Pacific because I can't justify the cost of staying there for such a short one night stay but it sure would be convenient and then I think they would drop our bags at the ship for us as well?

Thanks - I think we will lean towards renting bikes and going to Stanley Park. I did find the Seawall Adventure Center which is near Canada Place opens at 8 so that might be an option for us. We have not booked our hotel yet - I've been sitting on that so better hurry I guess - but it will be downtown near Canada Place. I've been debating about using some credit card points to stay at Pan Pacific because I can't justify the cost of staying there for such a short one night stay but it sure would be convenient and then I think they would drop our bags at the ship for us as well?

I believe they do take your bags to the ship BUT you probably have to be there when they pick them up. You can't just leave them in your room. The bellman will ask questions of you as they're basically taking your luggage through security/customs for you. It's been a while since I did spring for the PP but that's my recollection (and how it works at the Fairmont Waterfront across the street from the PP).

^And you have to buy a specific Cruise package (i.e. even less cheap than regular PP rates).

Given how compact downtown Vancouver is I'd always recommend to be in the cheapest hotel you can tolerate for a short stay like this; shop deals rather than loyalty chain points. The difference between the PP on the night before a cruise and a decent, safe, clean but basic hotel could pay for your bike rentals, lunch, even entry to Cap or another attraction!

If you really, really want to be onboard for lunch, then Cap is probably too tight unless you are willing to spring for a cab both ways (at least $30 each way).
As a Cap bridge lover.... I would spring for the cab one or both ways. Leave downtown at 8:30am to be at the bridge gates when they open at 9am. Yes, check out the eighth wonder of the world!

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Double-check how long can your luggage be packed in your room, or leave it with the bellman for a few hours storage.

Edited by xlxo

IMO I think if it's a beautiful sunny Vancouver day you should stay downtown and visit either Stanley Park or Granville island.

There is so much to see on Granville Island that you wouldn't be disappointed. You can also have lunch there from one of the many nice little restaurants and sit outside by the water and just enjoy.

From there you can take the Aquabus across to the downtown core and catch a cab back to your hotel to pick up your luggage and head to port.