Rollator or Combination Rollator/Transport Chair

We are having a family cruise this July and in preparation, I have bought a Drive Nitro HD Rollator and a Medline Combination Rollator/Transport Chair. I am currently undergoing Pain Management for Lower Lumbar Spinal Stenosis and currently walk with a cane, and have to sit frequently to relieve pain. Currently the "Shopping Cart" helps when in stores, so a Rollator may only be what I need, but thought just in case I get worse during the cruise, the combination rollator/transport chair may salvage some of the trip rather than just sitting in the cabin. While I prefer the Drive Nitro over the more narrow Medline, is there enough room in the cabin (Balcony 8E class, Carnival Magic on Lido Deck) to store the two rollators folded? Both fold up side to side and are self standing, about 12" wide when folded. I know I will need the use of a rollator, but am unsure at this point if it is worth bringing the combo unit should I need the transport chair function. There will be four of us in the cabin (twin beds, couch, and pullman (ceiling bunk).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming this is NOT an accessible cabin? If not, it would be worth calling to see whether an accessible cabin is still available for you to switch to. This close to the cruise, it's doubtful, but it doesn't cost anything to ask.

4 of you in the cabin is going to be very cozy to start with, and just finding a place for 4 people's clothes and 4 suitcases will be ... interesting. Finding room for even one rollator is going to be a challenge. Even folded up, I'm guessing they will still be 8-10" thick. The one possibility I can see would be storing them on the balcony when not in use. That would still be a pain, as anyone wanting to use the balcony would need to move the rollators (balconies aren't very big), but it would at least be doable.

If you decide to just bring one, I suggest you strongly consider making it the combo. Ships are BIG and with just the rollator, you will face a constant dilemma of whether to keep walking in pain to reach your target, or sit down and rest and possible be late for dinner or the show. With the combo, you can walk as long as is comfortable and then have a family member push you so you can do things with your family group.

Also, if you haven't already, discuss trying a TENS unit with your doctor. They aren't suitable for all diagnoses (nothing is) and they don't work for everyone, but they sure can make a huge difference in spinal pain when they do work.

The nitro should fit under the bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm afraid the Luggage will be under the beds, but that's a thought. Thanks.

Do you know how much room there is between the twin bed and the balcony wall? Perhaps that space can be used as we are having the beds in the two twins configuration. Either luggage or rollator.

• 3 weeks later...

It'll be tight but you could probably get it all under the bed if you put the smaller suitcases inside your larger suitcases. Put the smaller ones in large trash bags if your afraid of any dirt.

Nothing can be stored on the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums