walking distance to the beach in labadee?

Dmom & dad

Depends on what type of beach your want.

Look at the overhead (move towards the north of the island to find the private area, easy to spot):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Labadie,+Haiti/@19.7842561,-72.2474464,1083m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8eb6c0b728df61a3:0x2b20493d13e63955

North side has more waves (even noticeable in the satellite photo) but is technically the closer beach to walk to off the pier all the food (2 locations) is closer to the north beaches as well. Nellies is the first beach area on the south side, near the cabanas. About an 8-10 minute walk. I prefer Nellies for relaxing as it is near a bar and quieter than the others. Show up early if you want a spot near the water, or a dedicated spot in the shade. Continue past Nellies to where the water park area is if you want something bigger/move kid friendly, but expect it to be busier. Bring a buck for the guy who gets your chair and mat (if you purchased one). I usually tip a buck per family member since these are local Haitains and can probably use that money more than most in the Caribbean.

They do have a tractor which moves you back and forth, but I can't remember where it stops.

Edited by JasonV1

thank you! not really any issues I currently have a broken leg and ankle but am hoping by june I will be all healed!

Is this an Island that is like a private ship island where you pay with your ship card?

Virtually everything you buy on Labadee is with your ship card. However, there are some craft areas with locals, and they only take cash.

Food included. Alcohol package also accepted, but the selection will be limited compared to the bars on the ship.

Royal "owns" the area but local citizens are used for various things and also have a craft area as mentioned by the previous poster (and noticeable on the satellite photo). Bar staff will be from the ship, and from what I remember food service staff as well (food is served buffet style though).

Thank you both so much for your help!!

Just wondering if it is like castaway cay? is the food on the island free or included as it is on castaway?

Edited by JasonV1

Actually, there is no need to walk to either Nellie's Beach or Columbus Cove. When you get off the ship, there's a tender that will take you directly over there from the dock. If you decide to go the land route, RCL has people on the pier with balloon tire wheelchairs that will roll you directly to the beach of your choice (came in really handy when DW sprained her knee on our last cruise there.)

From our cabin on deck 17 on the Allure

Leisurely walking off the ship

Down the pier

around the bend

To barefoot beach which is right before Nellies beach and Columbus it was a nice 25 min. walk.

Very enjoyable.

Of course it was 8:05 am.

Not to hot yet.

I can see how it could take a toll on some.

Safe travels.

We have never been to labadee before, It looks like we can walk off the ship and onto the beach. Is this true or is there a distance to the beach from the ship? Whats the best way to enjoy labadee?

Labadee is a very good beach stop.

You don't have to walk very far, and they have these little golf cart trams for some of us lazy like me!:D

The beaches you see as you leave the ship on the right are much calmer, while the other side has some small waves, other then that there's a good BBQ, an area to do a little shopping, and some activities for the younger more adventurous ones!

You'll have fun!

Beware in Labadee. The tram driver drops you at the trail to columbus cove and says oh,its just a minute walk. The minute walk is through very aggressive locals who chase you tying necklaces and bracelets on you while you walk,then ask for money. I had to threaten them to get them to leave us alone. Later in the day all of a sudden the trams came to the beach to pick us up,after they had dropped everyone off originally where we were forced to walk through the local shopping area.

Labadee looked good,but the locals ruined it for us.

Beware in Labadee. The tram driver drops you at the trail to columbus cove and says oh,its just a minute walk. The minute walk is through very aggressive locals who chase you tying necklaces and bracelets on you while you walk,then ask for money. I had to threaten them to get them to leave us alone. Later in the day all of a sudden the trams came to the beach to pick us up,after they had dropped everyone off originally where we were forced to walk through the local shopping area.

If Columbus Cove is your desired beach, taking the water shuttle (as a prior poster mentioned) lessens walking AND avoids the straw market all together.

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

If you get off at Nellie's beach and take the beach route past the waterslide (where the tenders drop off) to Columbus cove, you can avoid the straw market gauntlet.

Edited by orville99

I didn't find the locals any more annoying than anywhere else that tries to hawk to you. But my jersey attitude has served me well since a teen- Tijuana, Freeport, Cancun, Nassau etc. my sister has stories from Italy of people trying to touch her blond hair. Our 13 yr girls attracted some attention from hawkers but Dad put a stop to that quick. We did buy some trinkets there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
If you get off at Nellie's beach and take the beach route past the waterslide (where the tenders drop off) to Columbus cove, you can avoid the straw market gauntlet.

Wow, never heard of water taxi way to get there. Do they have a few tenders running back and forth? How long is the wait generally?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=532

If end up on the tram it looks to also take you to Columbus cove where old map didn't have tram going that way. Is it one tram so just catch it once or will you have to get off at the roundabout looking thing on the map and wait for another tram to take you to south part of Columbus cove.

If Columbus Cove is your desired beach, taking the water shuttle (as a prior poster mentioned) lessens walking AND avoids the straw market all together.

I think I missed the quote of water shuttle. Is there a chance this only operated when there wasn't a tram stop to Columbus Cove and now need to ride the tram there?

• 2 years later...
Where do you pick up water taxi to Columbus Cove? Is this a good option? Are they running continuously? Thanks for any help!

As you are walking down the pier leaving the ship, you will see a tender boat on the right hand side.

If it is in use there will be attendants standing there to direct you.

When in doubt ask as you are on the pier the photographers will direct you, there are a ton of them.

Enjoy