Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old December 10th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Paying folio charges in home currency

When I booked my cruise I specified I wanted to pay my onboard charges in my home currency. It seems Princess has rejigged the Cruise Personalizer because it's flicked back to USD and I can't change it. I rang Princess and the man said "Just log onto the Cruise Personalizer and change it". If only I could. Is anyone having the same problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crown Princess, California, April 2014; Crown Princess, South America, February 2014; Sea Princess, Around Australia & NZ, 2012; Sea Princess, New Zealand, 2011; Sun Princess, Sydney-Tahiti-Sydney, 2008; Mikhail Sholokov, Sydney-Tahiti-Sydney, 1992

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Jane View Post
When I booked my cruise I specified I wanted to pay my onboard charges in my home currency. It seems Princess has rejigged the Cruise Personalizer because it's flicked back to USD and I can't change it. I rang Princess and the man said "Just log onto the Cruise Personalizer and change it". If only I could. Is anyone having the same problem?

I don't think you can change except if the cruise is in Europe. They can bill your credit card to your home currency at the end of the cruise thru a third party provider . I found it was cheaper to let my CC to do the conversion from USD.
Caribbean Jan 2008 , November 2011
Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
Princess 10x HAL 3x RCI 2x

Old December 10th, 2013, 09:40 AM
5,000+ Club

Princess uses HORRID conversion rates. Unless you have a credit card with really high fees you are better off letting your bank do the conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Jane View Post

Roll Call for Royal - October 2014: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844420

Old December 10th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

I completely agree with Loonbeam.

Basic cards typically charge about 3% for foreign currency conversion but there are a few with no charge at all.

It is likely out of CC policy to specifically identify them but with you being in Oz, the ones I list might not be available to you anyway. It shouldn't be too hard to web-search for cards with no conversion fees.

I know of ONE which is available here in the US for no charge which is a CAPITAL idea. Others I know of are associated with major HHotel chains. While the hotel cards typically charge a fee, we found the savings from no foreign currency charges more than offset the fee. The bonus is you often get some freebies like a couple of hotel nights and bonus points on the hotel's program.

Ocean Princess - Singapore to Dover around Africa - 2014; Dawn Princess - Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand - 2013
Sapphire Princess - Los Angeles, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Los Angeles - 2012; Golden Princess - RT from Seattle to Alaska - 2012
Diamond Princess - Singapore to YVR 2012; Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2010-2011
Coral Princess - FLL - YVR plus Alaska RT 2010; Star Princess - South America and Antarctica 2009
Costa Classica - Genoa to Venice 2008; Costa Fortuna - Caribbean 2008
Costa Atlantica - Eastern Med 2006; Norwegian Dream - Baltic 2004
Norwegian Dream - Miami to Rome 2003; Norwegian Wind - HNL to YVR 2002
Norwegian Wind - Caribbean 2001; Celebrity Zenith - Caribbean 1996
Norwegian Windward (now the Wind) - So Cal Coastal 1993; Carnival Jubilee - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Festivale - Eastern Caribbean 1988

Old December 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM
30,000+ Club

As said, the Princess exchange rates are ridiculous. You really don't want Princess to do the conversion and are far better off with your folio in US$.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old December 10th, 2013, 12:25 PM
20,000+ Club

For this cruise, all charges onboard will be in US $.

You will have the option of:
a) Paying in cash with US $
b) Paying in your own currency but using (as others have posted) a very bad (for you) conversion rate.
c) Charging to your credit card in US $ with your bank doing the currency conversion with a conversion charge of 0% to 3% depending on your credit card.
d) Charging to your credit card in your own currency with Princess using (as others have posted) a very bad (for you) conversion rate plus a 3% charge for the convenience of doing this.

If you are using a credit card, the boarding pass for the "owner" of the credit card should ask which method you wish to use.

How bad is the conversion rate Princess uses? Based on what I have seen with the onboard currency exchange machines, it is about 8% over what the exchange rate actually is. This means option (d) above could cost you about 11% more than it should.

Old December 10th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't try and change it back! Never let a cruise line do the conversion, you will always pay more than you would if you let your card provider do it. You will be much better off paying in USD.

Old December 10th, 2013, 02:06 PM
5,000+ Club

BTW to my knowledge its Okay to mention fee free credit cards just not provide links. That said, I have no idea what the options are for Australia, but I do know they exist.

Roll Call for Royal - October 2014: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844420

Old December 10th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonbeam View Post
BTW to my knowledge its Okay to mention fee free credit cards just not provide links.
Good to know, thanks.

Ocean Princess - Singapore to Dover around Africa - 2014; Dawn Princess - Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand - 2013
Sapphire Princess - Los Angeles, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Los Angeles - 2012; Golden Princess - RT from Seattle to Alaska - 2012
Diamond Princess - Singapore to YVR 2012; Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2010-2011
Coral Princess - FLL - YVR plus Alaska RT 2010; Star Princess - South America and Antarctica 2009
Costa Classica - Genoa to Venice 2008; Costa Fortuna - Caribbean 2008
Costa Atlantica - Eastern Med 2006; Norwegian Dream - Baltic 2004
Norwegian Dream - Miami to Rome 2003; Norwegian Wind - HNL to YVR 2002
Norwegian Wind - Caribbean 2001; Celebrity Zenith - Caribbean 1996
Norwegian Windward (now the Wind) - So Cal Coastal 1993; Carnival Jubilee - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Festivale - Eastern Caribbean 1988