Good, Cheap Camera Suggestions?

Hi,

I was wondering what would be a good, cheap camera I could buy before my cruise on the Sunshine. I absolutely love taking pictures, and I was going to make a review using those pictures? I've been looking at the Sony H300 DLSR. If not, I'll probably end up using my LG G3's 13 MP Laser Autofocus camera. [emoji6]

Thanks,

Futurz

TL;DR: I want suggestions on a good camera under 200$. Thanks.

Hi,

I was wondering what would be a good, cheap camera I could buy before my cruise on the Sunshine. I absolutely love taking pictures, and I was going to make a review using those pictures? I've been looking at the Sony H300 DLSR. If not, I'll probably end up using my LG G3's 13 MP Laser Autofocus camera. [emoji6]

Thanks,

Futurz

Though not a DSLR, the Sony DSCH300 is a very capable camera for the price and will significantly outperform a smart phone. Phones have come a long way (I have a Lumia Icon) and are more than sufficient for daily photography, but for situations where you need more zoom or the light is bad, an actual camera is still the best choice.

Dave

Though not a DSLR, the Sony DSCH300 is a very capable camera for the price and will significantly outperform a smart phone. Phones have come a long way (I have a Lumia Icon) and are more than sufficient for daily photography, but for situations where you need more zoom or the light is bad, an actual camera is still the best choice.

Dave

Thank you for your input, I meant DSC. I was thinking of the camera my school uses for work, while thinking of that Sony camera.

Dave

I'm going to disagree slightly. When comparing a sub-$200 camera to a GOOD smart phone camera, there are pros and cons for each.

A camera like the DSC-H300 will give significantly more optical zoom. So if optical zoom is a high priority, it is the advantage of the stand alone camera.

Image quality will be very very close between the two. A good smart phone is actually a far more expensive device than $200, but it is being subsidized. They both have tiny sensors, with the HX300 being only very slightly bigger than an iPhone 6 sensor. But a camera like the iphone 6 actually has a faster lens than the HX300. On balance, they will produce very similar image quality.

Another advantage to a stand-alone camera like the HX300 is a slightly better flash. And a viewfinder.

Now advantages to a good smart phone like the iPhone 6: Touch screen, higher resolution screen, the best "wifi" you will find in any camera -- ability to instantly upload and share photos in email, text, social networking. Ability to instantly edit the photo with hundreds of possible editing software, instantly.

I look at the iPhone 6, and similar smart phones.. as being essentially a $300 camera with a fixed lens. "Cheaper" cameras may have different pros and cons, but they are not universally better than a good smart phone. If you need optical zoom, a smart phone can't replace a camera. But if you can live with a fixed lens, then the good smart phone can be superior to a stand alone camera.

OP

My take. I too have the LG G3. Yes, it has a nice camera and takes nice pics. BUT, I wouldn't want to rely on one for vacation. It's more of a, "if I don't have my P&S or DSLR with me, at least I have the camera on my cell phone".

I love my Canon SX40IS. I have taken it on many vacations and have never been disappointed. If I need to replace it, I would go after a refurbished SX50. http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-powershot-digital-cameras/powershot-sx50-hs-refurbished

It is slightly over the $200 limit you have, but I would still recommend it. They do occasionally put it on for $199.

Though my main camera is a Nikon DSLR, I'm a I'm a huge fan of Canon higher end point n shoots for convenience

This is an awesome deal on a clearance model (current version is the S120 which is $400.00) I have the S100 and it takes great pics and is a LOT cheaper to take underwater vs. a DSLR

http://www.adorama.com/ICAS110B.html

you'd have to look pretty hard to find a NEW camera better than this for under $200

Edited by CT Sean

I'm going to disagree slightly. When comparing a sub-$200 camera to a GOOD smart phone camera, there are pros and cons for each.

A camera like the DSC-H300 will give significantly more optical zoom. So if optical zoom is a high priority, it is the advantage of the stand alone camera.

Image quality will be very very close between the two. A good smart phone is actually a far more expensive device than $200, but it is being subsidized. They both have tiny sensors, with the HX300 being only very slightly bigger than an iPhone 6 sensor. But a camera like the iphone 6 actually has a faster lens than the HX300. On balance, they will produce very similar image quality.

Another advantage to a stand-alone camera like the HX300 is a slightly better flash. And a viewfinder.

Now advantages to a good smart phone like the iPhone 6: Touch screen, higher resolution screen, the best "wifi" you will find in any camera -- ability to instantly upload and share photos in email, text, social networking. Ability to instantly edit the photo with hundreds of possible editing software, instantly.

I look at the iPhone 6, and similar smart phones.. as being essentially a $300 camera with a fixed lens. "Cheaper" cameras may have different pros and cons, but they are not universally better than a good smart phone. If you need optical zoom, a smart phone can't replace a camera. But if you can live with a fixed lens, then the good smart phone can be superior to a stand alone camera.

I'll agree with you slightly... :)

I currently carry my Lumia Icon with me as the "I don't have a camera with me" camera. It has essentially replaced my old P&S because of it's truly excellent (not just "for a phone") imaging. That said, my comment was in reference to the travel-related negatives such as optical zoom and flash. If all you ever take is photos of landscapes, buildings, groups of friends and yourself in good light and have a burning need to share them with the world immediately, a phone does a bang-up job compared to a small superzoom like the H300. The 8MP Sony Exmor sensor in the iPhone 6 is an impressive piece of technology with phase-detect autofocus and larger-than-average sensels for a sensor of it's size because of it's relatively low resolution and back-illuminated design. Though both sensors are about 29mm² in area, the H300's CCD sensor is outclased by the technically superior sensor in the iPhone. The phone's lens is faster but even at moderate zoom, the H300 will quickly surpass the potential image quality for a given scene provided by the fixed 29mm equivalent lens on the phone. As for flash, LED flash has come a long way and the warmer tone of the LED on the iPhone is a pretty good idea, but the xenon flash on the H300's motion-freezing duration and twice the range wins in low light.

As you said, if you can live with the deficiencies of something, it's just fine. I prefer not to when possible, which is why I always carry my phone and an actual camera on vacation (and when not on vacation, to be honest). My advice to the OP is that the best camera for all situations is two or three cameras. ;)

Dave

Edited by pierces

Hi,

Thanks,

Futurz

Have you considered a slightly used camera from a recognised and reputable dealer? Could be the solution ;)

I'll agree with you slightly... :)

I currently carry my Lumia Icon with me as the "I don't have a camera with me" camera. It has essentially replaced my old P&S because of it's truly excellent (not just "for a phone") imaging. That said, my comment was in reference to the travel-related negatives such as optical zoom and flash. If all you ever take is photos of landscapes, buildings, groups of friends and yourself in good light and have a burning need to share them with the world immediately, a phone does a bang-up job compared to a small superzoom like the H300. The 8MP Sony Exmor sensor in the iPhone 6 is an impressive piece of technology with phase-detect autofocus and larger-than-average sensels for a sensor of it's size because of it's relatively low resolution and back-illuminated design. Though both sensors are about 29mm² in area, the H300's CCD sensor is outclased by the technically superior sensor in the iPhone. The phone's lens is faster but even at moderate zoom, the H300 will quickly surpass the potential image quality for a given scene provided by the fixed 29mm equivalent lens on the phone. As for flash, LED flash has come a long way and the warmer tone of the LED on the iPhone is a pretty good idea, but the xenon flash on the H300's motion-freezing duration and twice the range wins in low light.

As you said, if you can live with the deficiencies of something, it's just fine. I prefer not to when possible, which is why I always carry my phone and an actual camera on vacation (and when not on vacation, to be honest). My advice to the OP is that the best camera for all situations is two or three cameras. ;)

Dave

lol, yes... now I think we are basically in agreement.

I just think there is a fallacy that I see frequently on forums, an assumption that any stand alone P&S is a step up from a good smart phone. The reality is, a stand alone P&S is just *different* than a smart phone, and not necessarily better. In fact, in some ways, it is worse.

But yes -- you and I are in the same camp -- different situations call for different cameras, different lenses, etc. I rarely, almost never rely on my phone. When I was to go light weight, I carry my RX100, but it's not "any" P&S. And if I'm really anticipating major photographic opportunity, I have several pounds and several thousand dollars of camera gear on me, lol.

Hi,

Thanks,

Futurz

I cant speak to the quality of the Sony H300, but looking at the specs, I am slightly (ok, probably more than slightly) put off by the lack of a viewfinder. Holding a camera (or any object for that matter) closer to the body allows is a more comfortable position. Using your head as a contact point (along with your two hands) allows for a more stable platform. Some may say that image stabilization fixes the stability problem with using the LCD, but it does little for the comfort problem. Holding an object away from the body for a length of time puts more stress on your back. I know a small camera like the H300 may not weigh that much, but in situations where you are trying to capture a fleeting event, you may not have time to bring your camera to the shooting position...thus you are constantly at the ready, which in the case of an LCD only camera, is with your arms out front. With a viewfinder equiped camera you can tuck your elbows in and rest a bit while at the ready.

I like the suggestion of a used purchase. I have seen Nikon 3100s and Canon XSs for as low as $200. They may be a couple generations old and may lack wizbang features (wifi, HDR, Panorama...), but they still can produce amazing shots in tough situations. Plus, they make great platforms for learning DSLR photography. In addition, they are all compatible with the best lenses from Nikon and Canon (respectively). There are merits in buying a cheap camera body and buying expensive high quality lenses.

Good luck!

Edited by ikirumata

I cant speak to the quality of the Sony H300, but looking at the specs, I am slightly (ok, probably more than slightly) put off by the lack of a viewfinder. Holding a camera (or any object for that matter) closer to the body allows is a more comfortable position. Using your head as a contact point (along with your two hands) allows for a more stable platform. Some may say that image stabilization fixes the stability problem with using the LCD, but it does little for the comfort problem. Holding an object away from the body for a length of time puts more stress on your back. I know a small camera like the H300 may not weigh that much, but in situations where you are trying to capture a fleeting event, you may not have time to bring your camera to the shooting position...thus you are constantly at the ready, which in the case of an LCD only camera, is with your arms out front. With a viewfinder equiped camera you can tuck your elbows in and rest a bit while at the ready.

I like the suggestion of a used purchase. I have seen Nikon 3100s and Canon XSs for as low as $200. They may be a couple generations old and may lack wizbang features (wifi, HDR, Panorama...), but they still can produce amazing shots in tough situations. Plus, they make great platforms for learning DSLR photography. In addition, they are all compatible with the best lenses from Nikon and Canon (respectively). There are merits in buying a cheap camera body and buying expensive high quality lenses.

Good luck!

I'd prefer HDR, considering I like to take night shots of the deck. HIJACKING- would HDR fix the rope light color blur on the deck?

BUMP-

I think I found the camera I'll buy, a Fujifilm FinePix S8300. Looks good in almost every aspect, a 16 MP sensor, viewfinder, maybe HDR, panorama, and a couple other things. Usually a 310$ camera, it is on sale for 139$.

I am not one to use a changeable lens cameras. And most point and shoot cameras take sub par photos due to very small sensors. They just don't perform in low light. The point and shoot cameras that do have larger sensors are very expensive. A few years ago Canon came out with a very high quality point and shoot with a 1.5" sensor the G1X it has been replaced by the newer version however a Canon G1X can still be found and found for half price. I got mine for $399 from bhphotovideo and came with a Canon case, a led screen cover, and a Sandisk memory card FREE! Free shipping. This is a steal for a very high end camera that takes professional quality photos. Definitely worth taking a look at especially for those that don't feel comfortable with a DSLR.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP-

I found a better camera that I am probably going to purchase. Just within my price range, it is the Canon Eos Rebel XT. But, I have a question. If I were to get the XT, would it perform taking pictures better than my G3's camera?

BUMP-

I found a better camera that I am probably going to purchase. Just within my price range, it is the Canon Eos Rebel XT. But, I have a question. If I were to get the XT, would it perform taking pictures better than my G3's camera?

Even though the XT is an entry-level DSLR, it will outperform any phone by a wide margin in poor lighting and action situations. Phones do well in good light but even there, the nature of the larger sensor and the option to switch lenses to suit the situation makes the DSLR a better choice from a purely photographic viewpoint.

To save some bulk, you may want to look at the Sony A3000 ILC. It has a larger sensor than the Canon, is half the size and is on sale for about $250 with lens on Amazon.

Dave

BUMP-

Both are older Canon models, with the G3 dating from about 2002 to 2003 and the Rebel XT, also designated 350D, from about 2005. Don't have any experience with either, but the XT shared some features of the 20D, which is from the same era. The 20D was my initial venture to digital photography.

The reviews are positive, with a 8M sensor and DIGIC 2 processor. They provide 2 auto modes. It is also very compact and light weight.

To answer your question, most definitely the XT will take better photos, especially in limited light and will be more flexible.

Both are older Canon models, with the G3 dating from about 2002 to 2003 and the Rebel XT, also designated 350D, from about 2005. Don't have any experience with either, but the XT shared some features of the 20D, which is from the same era. The 20D was my initial venture to digital photography.

The reviews are positive, with a 8M sensor and DIGIC 2 processor. They provide 2 auto modes. It is also very compact and light weight.

To answer your question, most definitely the XT will take better photos, especially in limited light and will be more flexible.

The G3 he is referring to is his LG G3 phone.

Dave

Yup, exactly. Now all I need to do is snag a 32gb SD card and a case and the XT is all mine!

-Futurz

The XT will be a great starter camera that you will be able to grow with since it is compatible with all of Canon's great lenses (and all of the third party ones as well). A lot of people suggest getting the best lenses you can afford before upgrading the body since you will be able to carry those lenses with you (provided you stay with Canon...welcome to the dark side :) ).

The XT will be a great starter camera that you will be able to grow with since it is compatible with all of Canon's great lenses (and all of the third party ones as well). A lot of people suggest getting the best lenses you can afford before upgrading the body since you will be able to carry those lenses with you (provided you stay with Canon...welcome to the dark side :) ).

Thanks for the advice! But I think the XT uses a custom SD/ flash card? Or are those two separate? Anybody know the biggest SD card you can get with it?