Sunset Cruise Excursion 1/17/12

kicker

We did this excursion from Crown Princess. I beleive CC rules say I can't post a review here, but I'll be happy to answer any questions.

We are going on the Crown in April and several of us are considering the sunset excursion. Do you think it was worth the $. How was the service? Appreciate any info.

I'm also thinking of taking this excursion in April & would love to know what you thought of it. Is the boat real crowded? Are people crammed into seats side by side or can you get up and walk around and sit wherever?

We are going on the Crown in April and several of us are considering the sunset excursion. Do you think it was worth the $. How was the service? Appreciate any info.

First, to answer some questions:

1). It didn't feel crowded. We had good weather, there was a decent amount of space on the deck with additional room & seating inside. My only problem was a rather large person who for some reason thought the only steps going to the lower/bar area was her private seat!:mad:

2). Was it worth it? Very subjective. If you want a leisurely, trolling speed ride that shows off some of the Curacao scenery, its fine. The bar served rum punch, rum & cokes, sodas. No beer available, no snacks. Its the first catamaran (out of 6 or 7) I ever went on where no one got wet - we never went fast enough to make a splash.

3). The service: the Captain was a young woman (very capable). There were two mates on board who were quick to supply everyone with drinks and were both very personable. No complaints about the service.

4). The Sunset: What Sunset?? They took us out a short ways from the channel into the ocean. We were all preparing for a beautiful sunset as the clouds had dissipated and things were looking very promising. Then suddenly they started up the engine, turned the boat around and for the next ten minutes the sun was hidden by a mountain. We NEVER saw the sun again! Kind of strange (not just my opinion - everyone on board) to get that close and miss it. If they had waited a bit we could have seen the sun set in the ocean, and with a little speed still would have made it back to the docks on time.

5). Would We Do It Again?: Probably not. I had three rum punches, DW had a punch and a coke. It just wasn't the usual "Party" atmosphere you usually get on a catamaran. In their defense they seem new at this, and maybe things will improve. I would suggest they get a sound system (all we heard was whatever local radio stations the captain chose, complete with commercials), and offer beer (even if they charge extra for it), and have at least chips or something to munch on.

If I left anything out, I'll check back soon.

Oh, almost forgot: it was advertised as a "Banana Bus" ride to the boat, a BB being a fancy decorated open air bus. Instead we were put in small 9 person vans going, a regular bus coming back. Not a big deal but, again, less than what was advertised and expected.

Just read some comments on our Cruise thread from someone else who was on this excursion. I didn't realize it, but they got us back to the ship at 7PM, and the excursion was supposed to last until 7:45PM. That means they REALLY had time for us to see the Sunset, and means it really stinks that we didn't, as we certainly had time to.

The other poster also said they and another couple complained at the Excursions desk and received a 20% refund from Princess. Too bad I didn't think of that!:mad:

I was thinking of this for march but now I won't thank you......

If I were you I'd watch the boards for a while yet. They will either improve quickly, or be dropped by the cruise lines. There's potential there, but it does burn me now to realize we returned 45 minutes early! No way to run a business.

I agree - I am going to watch and see what happens. If enough folks complain the excursion people will either have to step up and improve or the cruise lines will find someone else.

There is another poster under "Curacao Sunset Cruise Excursion" that seems to have had a good experience on this excursion in December. So we'll see what happens.;)

Archived