Ships of Shame - Sixty Minutes

I am not gullible, just stating what I heard on TV.:(

No, no, Aus family, I wasn't, at all, referring to you. I mean the great masses out there who believe anything they are told!

For instance, I was told by someone, who had never cruised, not to travel with P&O, because they don't care about safety etc etc.

Well, being cynical, (and I'd rather trust my own judgment) I didn't believe them, went on 4 cruises on Pac Dawn, and really enjoyed every one. No complaints. Not much difference between them and Princess, in fact. :)

I cant understand how some people are so fragile that they get upset at the most trivial things. If the media is sensationalising ship horror stories then so what! Let them do it. I dont care when people bad mouth my favourite ships or my favourite ships end up in the news with problems. Some people just have to relax a little, go with the flow and not take life too seriously.

If there is a ship of shame thing going to be on tv then I just might watch it. Its always interesting to see what people have to say about cruise ships.

For the record I seriosly believe that Today Tonight fabricated many things about their P&O Australia report a few years back. Allot of my family have been with P&O Australia. The only problem they had was that revolting Pacific Sun ship which had cabins that were uninhabitable due to sewage and leaks and had no sympathy and support from P&O who kept calling themselves Carnival Australia. Regarding that fatefull Pacific Sun voyage that broke down I had 7 family members on that ship who by connection knew lots of people on it from Newcastle. When they all got back the first time cruisers were offered no compensation at all. The ones who had a bigger cruising history were given 75% cash refunds. There were double standards going on and people were sharing their letters and replies from Carnival. That is what damaged P&O Australias reputation in my families eyes.

My parents have also been with P&O Australia and told me that it was ok to start with but the behaviour by P&O Australia and their response to the problems have caused them to black list P&O Australia from their future cruising.

In my opinion there are two types of people that should not be taken seriously and given credit. That is the over sensalisaed media hyped stories and the staunch defenders of the cruise lines and ships. Both have biased vendattas and issues to push. The impartial people who give praise and criticise when it is warrented are the ones to listen to about cruising.

In my opinion there are two types of people that should not be taken seriously and given credit. That is the over sensalisaed media hyped stories and the staunch defenders of the cruise lines and ships. Both have biased vendattas and issues to push. The impartial people who give praise and criticise when it is warrented are the ones to listen to about cruising.

I agree, but you missed one :D - I don't ever believe the persons who really get stuck into one particular ship or line, even though they haven't personally experienced it. :)

I'll probably watch it, or tape it. But regular cruisers won't change their mind about cruising. Let's face it , murder, rape,disappearances, even diseases, have been happening since Noah's day.I don't feel an overwhelming urge to know either.

I'll probably watch it, or tape it. But regular cruisers won't change their mind about cruising. Let's face it , murder, rape,disappearances, even diseases, have been happening since Noah's day.I don't feel an overwhelming urge to know either.

Where would we all be today if Noah had missed Mount Ararat due to a problem with a window of opportunity or a container ship with squatters rights! Yes I am beginning to feel a little miffed!

Agree heartily with you Sandy!

Colleen

Where would we all be today if Noah had missed Mount Ararat due to a problem with a window of opportunity or a container ship with squatters rights! Yes I am beginning to feel a little miffed!

Agree heartily with you Sandy!Colleen

Problems can happen to anyone.....:rolleyes:

NoahsArk.jpg

Never one to miss a chance hey Sutho .... has anyone been keeping a tally on how many times he has peddled this same old bash P & O story...

Will give the show a quick look see....if only like Sue said "to yell at t.v" :D:D:D

It would appear my favurite P&O ship was in the news this year for continual drug smuggling. The ever favourite Aurora which was my very first cruise.

Also I will criticise when need be. If you look at my review of Arcadia you will see it is very fair and even my statements on P&O UK section. I pretty much admitted that the ship is in need of a refit with minor maintanence problems, but I clearly stated that it was not holiday ruiner issues. I always try to remain impartial when praising or criticising a ship.

However I do like watching all stories about ships including beat ups and sensationalised reporting. Usually with a bit of perception you can see through to the real truth in the exaggerated reporting.

No, no, Aus family, I wasn't, at all, referring to you. I mean the great masses out there who believe anything they are told!

For instance, I was told by someone, who had never cruised, not to travel with P&O, because they don't care about safety etc etc.

Well, being cynical, (and I'd rather trust my own judgment) I didn't believe them, went on 4 cruises on Pac Dawn, and really enjoyed every one. No complaints. Not much difference between them and Princess, in fact. :)

Thank you Sandy.

Yes the media does hype things up.

It would appear my favurite P&O ship was in the news this year for continual drug smuggling. The ever favourite Aurora which was my very first cruise.

Also I will criticise when need be. If you look at my review of Arcadia you will see it is very fair and even my statements on P&O UK section. I pretty much admitted that the ship is in need of a refit with minor maintanence problems, but I clearly stated that it was not holiday ruiner issues. I always try to remain impartial when praising or criticising a ship.

However I do like watching all stories about ships including beat ups and sensationalised reporting. Usually with a bit of perception you can see through to the real truth in the exaggerated reporting.

I draw attention to the comment I have highlighted. I agree and it not only refers to TV reporting. :D

Somewhere in the sixty minutes program I hope they make a point about personal responsibility. The cruise companies can't be held responsible for actions of every person on board. There's no Police check, they don't check the phsyco hospitals to see if anyone is missing,they don't do a check on pre existing yobbo's with alcohol problems. What you get on board a cruise ship is a cross section of the normal population, warts and all.

Somewhere in the sixty minutes program I hope they make a point about personal responsibility. The cruise companies can't be held responsible for actions of every person on board. There's no Police check, they don't check the phsyco hospitals to see if anyone is missing,they don't do a check on pre existing yobbo's with alcohol problems. What you get on board a cruise ship is a cross section of the normal population, warts and all.

Well said!

Behind the pina coladas and the smiles lies a murky world of sexual assault, drugs and violence, even murder.

Some one should so them the path to a pub, or actually tell them to go on a cruise ship first.

Incredibly, one passenger goes missing overboard every two weeks.

I wonder if they realise how many cruise ships there actually are in the world and that most of these are suicides and accidents.

I know they are trying to make a story but channel 7 and 9 are just stupid in their reporting.

I wonder if they realise how many cruise ships there actually are in the world and that most of these are suicides and accidents.

I know they are trying to make a story but channel 7 and 9 are just stupid in their reporting.

I wonder why they claim it's so incredible. Are they going to imply that someone's being tossed overboard every 2 weeks?! :D

If they did any research at all they could compare that to the number of suicides off bridges around the world. To be statistically valid, you could then compare population access, demographics, controls... but I suspect this displays more analysis than the superficial headlines they're running with.

Hey guy's,

We are new to these forums, and to date have found them to be very informative and useful...having said that, we can see a little bit of aggravation creeping in here.

We thought these forums were about getting to know each other and swapping thoughts about our past and future cruises, and passing on hints and tips.

Please don't prove me wrong.....

You are talking about a sensationalised TV programme for goodness sake...

If you want to complain about the programme, ring the Station involved and vent your anger/disapproval to them, don't bring it here

I have been involved in the media long enough to know that what you see on the screen is often far from the reality...so take it all with a pinch of salt...and lighten up ;);), and don't drive us away from here with petty bickering

Now lets get back to all being friends again :):)

Kindest regards

Des and Jane

I. Regarding that fatefull Pacific Sun voyage that broke down I had 7 family members on that ship who by connection knew lots of people on it from Newcastle. When they all got back the first time cruisers were offered no compensation at all. The ones who had a bigger cruising history were given 75% cash refunds. There were double standards going on and people were sharing their letters and replies from Carnival. That is what damaged P&O Australias reputation in my families eyes.

Not sure which cruise you're talking about but my son did a cruise on PS that broke down. Ended up a 7 night cruise with only one stop at Vila. He walked off that ship with a cheque for 100% refund and 25% off a further cruise. On our recent 2 nighter on PS, I spoke to someone who was on the same cruise...........same reponse. What more could you possibly ask for?:confused:

Until 9 weeks ago we had only cruised P&O & Sitmar but we then did a 3 nighter on Rhapsody of the Seas. The ship was beautiful but as far as anything elso goes..........give me P&O anytime.

Archived