TJ Travel Question

We were on the Celebrity Constellation in July and booked a St. Petersburg tour with TJ Travel. We were very pleased with everything about that tour. Our college age guide Michael was excellent and gave a lot of antedotes along the way. We had a total of 3 couples in our group and getting to miss the lines and have all of our tickets purchased in advance was wonderful. When we got home I put pictures of our cruise on a photo site to share with our family. My brother in law and his wife, who cruise alot and who had been to the Baltic a few years ago, said, "What a great trip you had. You saw a number of things in St. Petersburg that we didn't see with our tour. It makes me want to go back. " They are rather persnickety, so I counted that as a compliment. Also I love photography and our guide was very willing to be handed a camera and take a picture of our group at different places. Wonderful memories!

I was mildly worried about the visa situation, but it was no problem at all and I found TJ Tours to be very diligent regarding paperwork and correspondence with me before the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Celebrity Constellation in July and booked a St. Petersburg tour with TJ Travel. We were very pleased with everything about that tour. Our college age guide Michael was excellent and gave a lot of antedotes along the way. We had a total of 3 couples in our group and getting to miss the lines and have all of our tickets purchased in advance was wonderful. When we got home I put pictures of our cruise on a photo site to share with our family. My brother in law and his wife, who cruise alot and who had been to the Baltic a few years ago, said, "What a great trip you had. You saw a number of things in St. Petersburg that we didn't see with our tour. It makes me want to go back. " They are rather persnickety, so I counted that as a compliment. Also I love photography and our guide was very willing to be handed a camera and take a picture of our group at different places. Wonderful memories!

I was mildly worried about the visa situation, but it was no problem at all and I found TJ Tours to be very diligent regarding paperwork and correspondence with me before the trip.

We had the same experience in August with our guide Julia. It was just my husband and I which I was slightly nervous about but thoroughly enjoyed. I liked that we could spend as little or as much time as we wanted and our guide didn't follow a set schedule. She did take us to most of the major sites on the city tour in the morning so we could take photos outside before the crowd formed so we have some great photos. After the city tour we started hitting all of the tour sites.

My only regret is that I didn't hire them in the other ports. We did 2 ship tours in Helsinki & Stockholm and just didn't have as much fun or see nearly the amount we did in St. Petersburg. I think having a local guide would have made a difference.

6 of us just returned for VOS and use TJ for our 1 day tour at SPB. TJ small tour only for 12 people vs. 16 people like other tours. We were very happy with the service. Olga was very prompt with all our inquiries, the whole booking process was painless. Just for one day, we got to see a lot, a city tour, Hermitage Mus. (we passed by all the big tours were waiting in line), stop for lunch, Peterhof, Church of Spilled Blood, and a short stop to buy sounvenir. We don't have any Rub to pay for lunch. Our tour guide paid for us and we reimbursed her in Euro.

We used TJ Tours in June last year -- for a two day "hectic" tour. We couldn't fault them on even the smallest thing and would highly recommend them.

Barry

Hi-- What was hectic about the tour. They offer a couple of different tours and I'm wondering if the shorter, more relaxed two day tour might be better.

Edited by bubbachief

Hi-- What was hectic about the tour. They offer a couple of different tours and I'm wondering if the shorter, more relaxed two day tour might be better.

Not sure about that particular poster's experience but Russia in general is a very busy port day. There is so much to see that you are constantly on the move - at least in my 1 day experience.

This was our tour:

City Tour - driving around St. Petersburg stopping at Naval Cathedral, St. Isaac's (outside photos), Ancient Sphinxes, Giffen statues, various boats & statues with photo stops, souvenir stop. That was about 2 hours of driving and getting in and out of the car.

Then it was Hermitage, lunch, Spilled Blood, St. Isaac's, Peter & Paul Fortress & Cathedral, Peterhof, souvenir stop & payment.

We met Julia at 7am sharp and didn't return to the boat till 6pm. Spreading all that over 2 days would have allowed us a little more time to relax but honestly I probably would have filled it up with a few more stops.

The tour just covers ALL of the most important sights of SPB. Any slower paced and more relaxed tour will miss one or two of these fabulous sights. We are moderately fit and able and coped OK.

Sent from my T-17B using Forums mobile app

The tour just covers ALL of the most important sights of SPB. Any slower paced and more relaxed tour will miss one or two of these fabulous sights. We are moderately fit and able and coped OK.

Sent from my T-17B using Forums mobile app

I agree, will just have to get in shape and do the hectic tour. Did you go to the optional Folklore Show and if so, how was it?

• 1 month later...

Hi I just booked this one day St Petersburg tour through TJ Tours. One of the differences between this and the other cruises was a lunch stop (not a packed lunch in the bus). Can someone tell me where they stopped for lunch.

Also did you do any walking on Novesky Prospect, the main street of St Petersburg?

Thanks Karen

• 3 weeks later...

We got to see a bit of St Petersburg we never anticipated seeing - we did so much fast walking on the first day, that my husband's knee gave out. He nearly didn't go on the 2nd day, but our guide and driver (it was a tour for just the 3 of us) stopped at a pharmacy, and translated for us so DH got a knee brace which did the trick.

We were very pleased with TJ Travel.

We used then for a slow 2 day tour in st peter. We had older folks and out guide made plenty of time for everyone and lots of potty breaks just like we asked. Everything was perfect!!! I would not hesitate to use them again. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Tj is very prompt at providing confirmations. The visa takes time due to the forms you must submit and the processing time required by Russian immigration. However, do not fret as tj will process the required documents far in advance of your departure. You can always email tj if you have questions. They are very good at responding.

I just booked with TJ for next August. How long should the wait be for the confirmation letter and blanket Visa?

The confirmation letter is in lieu of a visa, you'll not receive a visa. The confirmation letter does the job, you present that at immigration instead of a visa.

BTW, all passengers (on ship tours, on local operators' tours, & independents) are also required to complete a landing card. Similar to those for international flights - you complete it with your passport details before you go ashore. Cards are freely available to all passengers from ship's guest relations, if not delivered to your cabin.

This is a landing card, nothing to do with visas.

All sounds a bit complicated.

But all very easy.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 2 weeks later...

We used them in Helinski ,( Stockholm)Sweden and Estonia. We found the tour guides knowledgeable and wonderful and was happy we booked with them. We arrived in Berlin and stayed for a few days, and TJ also helped us book transportation for us (we were a group of 11) in Berlin. We would recommend their services without a worry. We did the other ports by ourselves.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

Has anyone tried the 5 city Baltic tour offered by TJ Travel? I understand its not a private tour, but a group tour, but the price offered is very good.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Jason

I am also VERY interested in their 5 city tours in the Baltic?? Were they ALL good....some better than others?? Thanks!

I am also VERY interested in their 5 city tours in the Baltic?? Were they ALL good....some better than others?? Thanks!

Some better than others for sure, . . . but all are very good. In SPB, you are dealing directly with TJ Travel guides, drivers, etc. This may be true in a few other cities as well, but in some they will make arrangements with 3rd party drivers and guides that they know and have vetted. The group sizes might be a bit bigger, but not huge (they offer multiple SPB tours, but in the other cities, usually just one so the SPB groups are combined for those that wish to tour in those cities). By the way, this is true of all the SPB guides. I think our Berlin tour was about 18 - in a full sized coach bus!

You should really look at each city and what you want. If having a guide take you around is your thing, then this is definitely the way to go. If, on the other hand, you might like some independent touring, then there are a few cities where you can do this. TJ allows you to mix and match to meet your needs quite nicely and offers discounts as you go.

For us - we did the following:

SPB - not really much choice here unless you have or are willing to get a Visa (or don't need one). TJ Travel's most intensive tour of SPB was the highlight of our entire cruise and 1 of 2 highlights of all cruises ever - period. It was that good. :)

Tallin - this is a city where you can walk to old town and do on your own if you are into that. This is what we did and had a great time in the city at our pace. Others on our SPB tour enjoyed the walking tour with the guide arranged by TJ.

Stockholm - we added the tour offered by TJ. Our ship docked a considerable way away from the old town, it was a National Holiday, and the downtown area was mobbed. So much so, that our tour got rearranged and in the confusion, we lost a bit of time in old town. That said, the guide and driver did an excellent job, filled in some extra credit touring outside of old town, and we didn't fell like we missed too much. They even arranged for a few people to get back to old town on their own at the end before driving the rest of us back to the ship.

Helsinki - this is one you can do on your own if you don't mind traveling on public (bus and tram) transportation and walking. There are only a few must see areas, so the tour is short. We wanted to see the fort out in the harbor which was not part of the organized tour so did do this on our own. We purchased a 24hr mass transit card and found our way, eventually. :) Some that took the TJ tour commented that this was the one city they wished they simply went to the town center and spent the day. Others felt they might have missed the rock church and 1 other site (can't remember what it was - we did not get there) if they did that, so were happy they added the tour. If you do go to the town center and are there for lunch, definitely get the salmon from one of the many grills, . . . the reindeer balls (meat balls) were tempting, but the smell of the salmon won us over and tasted even better.

Berlin - There are multiple ways to see Berlin, but going on some type of tour is pretty much a requirement. First, you need to get to Berlin. Once there, unless you know your way around, you need to see everything in a short period of time. The cost to add TJ's tour of Berlin was roughly the same as the ships 'transport/explore on your own' offering. We had a great guide here too and really enjoyed our time in Berlin! All guides are different, but the stories he had were well worth it.

Again, the 5 city is a great option if you want others to arrange for your days and get you to the sights you need to see. Obviously, one of the positives is you have a guide so will get the back stories and history of the sites. On your own, you need to figure it out 'on your own too'. For us, 3 of the 5 were perfect. Here is a taste of just one of the many many sites in SPB! And Yes, as Sophia (our guide) told us early on, if it looks like gold in SPB, it is gold. Enjoy your trip.

DSC_1514.jpg

Edited by brentp

• 1 year later...

We used TJ Travel for SPB too (separate review) but we also used them for Berlin. Booking the Berlin tour with TJ gave us a 5% discount on the SPB tour. Boris, our Berlin guide (borisfromberlin@gmail.com), was excellent. He's a transplanted New Yorker who has learned German over the past 2 decades while living in Berlin. He's enthusiastic and covers the history and information about the major sites (how much can one see in 6 hours?) extremely well.

We highly recommend TJ Travel for excursions while taking a Baltic cruise and, in particular, Boris in Berlin and Victoria in St. Petersburg.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently took my college-aged daughter to St. Petersburg. We engaged TJ Travel and were guided through the city by a consummately professional, scholarly, and friendly TJ guide named Irina Avdeeva and TJ's skillful driver. The TJ team were wonderful to deal with before and during our trip. I highly recommend them!