Things to do in New Orleans

juanarcin

Hello, I am doing a cruise that departs from New Orleans in January. I am in the planning stages and decided to extend my trip by 4 days prior to the cruise. What I would love is if I got suggestions on what to do, where to eat, what to see? Is everything walkable or should I rent a car? Any can't miss activities or locations would be greatly appreciated.

I usually do about a day or 2 at most prior or after cruises and find that those are just enough to see the local area. Since it's 4 days this time, I want to make sure I don't start getting bored (which I'm sure might be difficult in New Orleans).

About us: We are a couple in our early thirties, no kids, and love trying new foods. We will be staying at Holliday Inn at the Super Dome.

Have you looked under "Ports of Call", "New Orleans" ?? LOTS of good information under that section specifically about New Orleans. I'm one of the ones who think NOLA is a great city - have fun !!! :)

If you get bored in New Orleans, I'd have to suspect you're just staying in your hotel room! New Orleans is a great city, with all kinds of things to do, places to see, lots and lots of great food and an amazing music scene.

I wouldn't bother renting a car; downtown New Orleans and the Quarter are best seen by walking. If you want to go to some of the other districts, you can ride the street cars, or take a taxi. The only reason to rent a car might be if you wanted to go out of the city to some of the plantations, and even then you could do those through excursions.

The Holiday Inn Superdome is a just bit farther from the center of the action than I'd normally like to be, but it's not a bad location. You can easily get over to Canal and into the Quarter, or hop the Canal streetcar down to the riverfront.

As to what to see and where to go, I won't even being to try that, it's far too big a subject and much depends on what kinds of things you like to do. Start by searching the web for tourist information, and go to the ports of call board here.

Ok, decided I had to take a stab at a "what to see & do list" after all. So here goes, in no particular order

Preservation hall & the Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Cafe Du Monde (Beignets. Cafe Au Lait. You'll be hooked)

Jackson Square

Ride the Natchez on a river cruise

Take a Cemetery Tour

Wander any street in the Quarter. Keep wandering. Stop in any little restaurant that takes your fancy.

The open air market in the Quarter

Ride the streetcar to the Garden District

Visit Audubon Park, and the zoo. (play golf there too if that's your thing)

Take the Algiers ferry from the base of Canal St. across to Algiers, and wander the community of Algiers (it's a free ride for walk on passengers)

Visit the superb WWII museum

Visit the Mardi Gras museum and warehouse

Oh, and eat. It's almost impossible to find a bad meal in New Orleans - except maybe on Bourbon street, where the main business is getting college kids drunk.

Edited by VideoTech

And this little tidbit about January in New Orleans:

Beginning of Carnival Season

Jan. 6, 2015 in the New Orleans - Jan. 6 is a big day in New Orleans. It marks three things: Twelfth Night, The Epiphany, and the beginning of the Carnival season. Yes, while many people outside of New Orleans believe that Mardi Gras is a one day event, those of us living here know that it’s an actual season, kind of like Christmas. From Jan. 6 through Fat Tuesday (March 4), New Orleanians will be celebrating.

Not sure when you'll be there, but it looks like you picked a good month!

Edited by VideoTech

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

If I may add to VideoTech's list ::

Visit the confederate museum, not real big , but interesting.

He mentioned ride the streetcar to the Garden district..ride it ( St. Charles streetcar all the way to the end, get off for one minute while "it turns around" and ride it back to the beginning Canal Street. Get a streetcar all day or 3 day pass, then you can get on and off as many times as you want. We did this and got off at the cemetery (Laffeyette I think), got off at the Audubon park and zoo, Got off at the "turn" and ate, beautiful ride seeing the old homes, the two colleges. We also rented a car and drove out to see two plantations..rental cars are pretty cheap. I would rent the car for one whole day and then return it...parking is a hassle.

Hope this helps. Will be back in a minute for a good web site.

Frank