Thoughts of ball cap type hats on excursions

rcandkc

Packing for Scotland and Ireland....is it inappropriate to wear a ball cap on excursions for shade to the face and keep hair from blowing every which away. Yes, of course not in dining rooms....I'm talking about excursions.

Thanks for any input. I did this in Alaska and Caribbean, but not sure about Europe.

I don't mean to sound like the "fashion police," and maybe it is my age, but I personally wouldn't wear a ball cap (or a fanny pack) in Europe. There are so many cute packable brim hats for women.

I understand what you are saying which is why I asked. I have thinner hair than I used to due to medications. If out in sun long I need my scalp protected. Every time I wear one of my cute hats the least bit of wind it is blown off. So I have found it is a ball type of cap or nothing if breezy. I would never wear one except out in the sun and wind.

While I wouldn't personally wear a ball cap, I think it would be totally fine to do so, and I wouldn't worry what other people think. It is certainly preferable to and safer than a sun burned head if you have thinning hair.

I agree with RachelG. I don't normally wear ball caps, but I never notice what people wear on their heads on excursions. Perhaps it is because I've raised two sons who are now in their 30's and wear them all the time on weekends here in the summer when they visit. Wear what you need to wear to protect your scalp, and don't worry about it!

Well, thanks for the opinions. I am cautious because I have had several basal cell skin cancer spots but the sun is very strong in texas this time of year. I've had many nice hats blow off. I guess I'll not have to worry so much about it in Northern Europe. Walking around outside for several hours here without a hat, you are asking for a sunburn even with sunscreen. So, thanks for your input.

Of course you can wear a ballcap out and about, anywhere in the world. I do, obviously, you can see it in my avatar. Not exclusively, but you're right, many hats simply blow off, while a baseball cap generally won't. BTW, that cap came from the Paul Gauguin, my very first cruise, and is now 14 years old and still in use.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

It is perfectly fine to wear a ball cap in Scotland and Ireland.

My brother in law (sister in law now deceased) has lived his entire life in Scotland and I first got the idea to wear one from him as he doesn't have much hair so wears it for protection in the sun (yes I know it's not like you get a lot of sunny days there but he wears it there and when traveling). It is fine.

The world really has changed and not just in North America. Visit NYC today versus 20 years ago and what you see on the streets in the business and tourist districts even in the daytime is a lot different than 20 years ago.

Enjoy your trip. You are visiting two beautiful areas of the world.

And don't worry about the cap. It will be fine.

Keith

Here in Switzerland you wear what you want on your head. And I don't see why Scotland should be any different. No reason why you shouldn't wear a baseball cap if you need your head covered or want to keep the sun out of your eyes. Men shouldn't wear them indoors. I have never heard of a rule like that for women though.

I too have to be careful with the sun due to a medication that I take. I wear my golf cap is there a differnce in the two hats? When I am indoors I do not wear the hat.

The fanny pack most men wear when touring because it is a safe place to put your wallet and any items you may need to carry. Most men don't carry purses to put their stuff in.

DH has always worn ball caps on cruises. He recently had the "blue light" treatment for pre-cancerous lesions on his face and the hat the dermatologist sent him away with looked like something from "Wicked." So he bought a Tillie. I think I will get one also. I see nothing wrong with ball caps if that is what you like.

Look into a http://tilley.comTilley hat, considered by many to be the "best" hat in the world. While most often worn by men, ladies look great in them, too! It's a Tilley in my avatar. They have chin cords that are most often folded into the cap, but are essential in windy conditions on tours. They are almost as good as a small umbrella and really protect your head from the elements. The come fully or partially ventilated for warmer weather.

TRH4_Image2.jpg

First of all, please excuse me if I am violating any rules with regard to recommending a specific product but I am trying to help out the OP.

I am a HUGE fan of Tilley hat's and own quite a few of them and wear them all the time. I just came back from the Copenhagen-Stockholm trip and wore my Tlley hat on every excursion - check out the R2 Women's Raffia - it is very cool to wear and has a tie to wear under your chin during windy conditions. Whenever I wear this hat I get so many compliments - yes, it is a bit pricey, but I have had this hat for years and it has traveled many miles and still looks like new. Very easy to pack which is an added bonus.

If not sure what size to order, customer service is very helpful!

gnomie:)

Definitely cute! I think how it looks depends upon your head, face, etc. I like large brimmed hats that shade my face. Hats flying off is definitely an issue. The clip is a good idea but I suppose the hat still keeps blowing off -- it just doesn't fly away:-) I've always wondered what women in the old days did with their hat pins. I'm guessing that they stuck it in their hair somehow to hold their hats on. It would be great if someone invented a hat with built in clips to attach to your hair:-)

TC2,

After the hat arrived, it had instructions on how the under chin strap can go on the back of the head to keep it on. Looked pretty secure to me. I have lost hats all around the world in cars, boats, ships, etc so I would probably opt for the clip. I just wish I looked anything like the woman in Hondorner's pic!

TC2,

After the hat arrived, it had instructions on how the under chin strap can go on the back of the head to keep it on. Looked pretty secure to me. I have lost hats all around the world in cars, boats, ships, etc so I would probably opt for the clip. I just wish I looked anything like the woman in Hondorner's pic!

Me too:D

First disclaimer: I LOVE hats and wear them all the time, since I get so many compliments on my hats, mostly from complete strangers, I guess I have what you call "a hat face". Some women love their shoes or handbags, I love my hats.

That being said, one of the reasons I am such a huge fan of Tilley hats is that many of them come with a chin strap and they are sized so for the most part they never leave the head, yet alone fly away. If I feel that the wind may be an issue, I use the chin strap, otherwise it fits nicely and I do not worry - have never lost a Tilley hat yet. Can't say that for some of my other hats.

I really like their winter hats because they have built in ear coverings which not only keep your ears warm, they also ensure to keep the hat on your head, no matter how windy it is.

I was very hesitant to purchase my first Tilly hat - thought they were too expensive. A new REI opened up by my office and for opening a new credit card, I received a gift card which covered the cost of my first Tilley hat. Since that I have never looked back and although in most items I am extremely frugal, I consider the hats a great investment and have never regretted a purchase - I think I now own six of them and they have never let me down - from the heat and sun of the Amazon to the cold windy days in NYC, I love my Tilley hats.

gnomie :)