Question About World Cruising

Martyjac

We are going to book a World Cruise 2016 on Pacific Princess. The question is, is it better to book a cabin in the middle of ship, because of being a smaller ship, or does it not make a difference? Thanks Martin

Edited by Martyjac

Martin it does make a difference whether on a World Cruise or wherever you have the potential for rough seas.

The more mid ship you are the less you will feel rough seas. You will feel it the more forward your room is and the higher the deck is.

Keith

The mid ship cabins also give better access to either set of stairs/elevators. If your destination is in the forward section then its a short walk to those stairs or if your destination is in the aft section then use those stairs.

You are aware that Pacific Princess is a tiny ship with limited ameneties? 700 passengers, one dining room. Just make sure you will not be bored. I have done Os version of this ship Transatlantic. It will move around in weather.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
You are aware that Pacific Princess is a tiny ship with limited ameneties? 700 passengers, one dining room. Just make sure you will not be bored. I have done Os version of this ship Transatlantic. It will move around in weather.

We have booked the 2016 World cruise on the Pacific Princess out of San Pedro. I did 57 + 12 days on the Pacific Princess last winter and did not get bored. Yes it is a small ship but on cruises with lots of sea days there is great opportunity for making friends and learning new things. I knit, and a group of us got together every morning doing a variety of fiber arts. I ended up doing some impromptu lessons for some more advanced techniques. My husband weaves and brought a tapestry loom and worked on learning that art form. He also did some drawing in a sketch book.

The library on the Pacific Princess is a treasure. Plenty of books, games, puzzles, and an oasis of quiet. Much larger than libraries on the big ships.

Plenty of guest lecturers on a wide variety of subjects.

The ship is smaller so there is definitely more movement than on big ships. Bonine and ginger are my friends. I always book a midships balcony to help minimize the movement. Fresh air is a necessity so I don't do OV or INT on the small ships.

Benefits of a small ship: You don't tend to get lost. Your stateroom is always pretty close by, so easier to protect yourself from illness by using your own stateroom bathroom rather than the public restrooms. You get to know passengers and staff pretty well. There is definitely a sort of family atmosphere. When we returned to the Pacific Princess after a month long road trip, the crew members at embarkation were all welcoming us back "home". The crew, while still hard working, seem happier and more rested than those doing the constant "turn around days" on ships doing the short 3 and 4 day cruises. Staff also know your preferences and will do everything they can to get you what you want. Last, you seriously do make good friends. We have visited several couples that we met on last winters cruise, and some of them are joining us on the the world cruise.

Hope this helps you in your decision

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Carnival 24 cruise days

Princess 79 cruise days, plus 142 cruise days scheduled

Norwegian 7 cruise days scheduled

Celebrity 15 cruise days scheduled

• 3 months later...

Holland's ship the Prinsedam is just under 800 passengers so a bit bigger. We have sailed her on trans-Atlantic several times, plus So American cruises. I get seasick which has never stopped me from cruising. We get a lower deck cabin and try for mid-ship or a bit more forward cabin and Dramamine is my friend. Have found one in the morning and one in the evening before dinner usually does the trick and in really bad seas, like crossing Drakes Passage, maybe one mid-day and one before bed works well for me. It is cheap and available in any store as a generic. The patch was too strong as I had weird side effects (metal tasting, blurred vision) but that is just me. If you are worried, I would bring both just in case. Also, we know a wine steward who works with her husband on board. She gets seasick and swears by the sea bands. Holland has meclizine available at no charge in the medical center and sometimes at the front desk (it is similar to Dramamine but a bit stronger).

Edited by take us away