Disappointed difference between Regent and Seabourn

I just experienced a disappointing difference between "My Regent" and Seabourn cruises. I just called Regent to talk to someone in the Seven Seas department and learned that is not possible. I need to email them and if the feel like it they may call me back.

We are 10 days away from becoming Platinum and I wanted to make sure it was going to take place on our upcoming cruise. The documents arrived yesterday. I was very startled to learn you could not call this department. I was told they don't have a phone number. We are a long way from being newbies to Regent but this was a new development for me.

Earlier this month I had need to contact Seabourn's Club about a trip to Antarctica we are thinking of taking with them. Our first trip there 10 years ago was on a Regent chartered trip. This is our first time on Seabourn as in recent years we have stuck with Regent. I was connected to a very welcoming representative in the Seabourn Club who answered all my questions about a possible shipboard credit. It was not an easy decision to try another cruise line but the itinerary totally won us over.

It is discouraging to me to discover this lack (as I perceive it) on the part of Regent for a past passenger to not be able to directly contact the past passenger club. In past sailings on Crystal, HAL, Princess and Seadream I never had this happen.

Yes, I plan to have the TA contact them. But I still think there should be direct access for the past passenger.

Regent, I hope you review this policy. I find it unwelcome and disappointing from a "luxury" cruise line.

Ann, I'm curious as to why you are questioning this long standing policy? You will definitely become Platinum on your next cruise. No question about it! However, to double check you could have just called the regular Regent number.

Had to laugh about your experience with Seabourn as some of their past guests have the same comments about Seabourn's customer service as you do about Regent.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the first cruise where you will have free laundry from the day you board:)

O.K., Jackie. I appreciate your reassurance. If I can't get it from Regent, at least I did get it from you. Am going to print your comment and show it to the front desk if I don't get free laundry. I would put in a smile but can't get it to work.

Thanks, Wendy, for understanding what I was trying to express. I was having some difficulty not letting my disappointment undermine the content.

Edited by Eager2Travel

Host Dan, if you see this thread can you correct the typo in the title? When I first observed it, it was too late to use the edit function.

Thanks for your help.

Done!

Wendy, do you really think that there should be a person dedicated to answering questions regarding the Seven Seas Society? The policy is on their website, in all of their larger brochures and is given to each and every guest when they take a cruise. I'm trying to figure out why regular customer service reps. can't handle it.

In the remote chance that the computer goes down and doesn't pick up the change in your status, you could go to Reception and have it fixed quite easily. It might calm your concerns if you printed the page from "My Account" on the rssc.com website where it shows all of your cruises and the number of days you currently have.

Sorry that you can't smile about this. Achieving Platinum status on Regent is a big accomplishment -- definitely something to smile about IMHO :D

Jackie I meant that my smile function on the computer wasn't working while I was actually smiling as I wrote the comment. When I tried the smile symbol I got a period and some other punctuation. It used to work.

That is a good suggestion to take a copy of the account. However the good news is that TA called back and said it is all set.

My reaction was based on the difference in the experience with calling Seabourn last week and Regent this week. One felt cold and one welcoming. It was simply a reaction from a passenger that loves Regent and doesn't like what I perceived to be a negative comparison.

Wendy, do you really think that there should be a person dedicated to answering questions regarding the Seven Seas Society? The policy is on their website, in all of their larger brochures and is given to each and every guest when they take a cruise. I'm trying to figure out why regular customer service reps. can't handle it.

In the remote chance that the computer goes down and doesn't pick up the change in your status, you could go to Reception and have it fixed quite easily. It might calm your concerns if you printed the page from "My Account" on the rssc.com website where it shows all of your cruises and the number of days you currently have.

Sorry that you can't smile about this. Achieving Platinum status on Regent is a big accomplishment -- definitely something to smile about IMHO :D

There doesn't need to be "a person" dedicated to this. When someone calls Regent, the company should identify (through some sort of authentication protocol and customer information system that is simple and easy for the customer), what their status is whether new or the customers loyalty status. Regent can then provide the best service based on their knowledge of the customer. For example, when a titanium customer calls Regent, the customer service agent should have that customers history and preferences automatically loaded onto their customer service screen. That way Regent knows who you are to be able to better serve you...and the customer is happy because of the personal experience. This is how client experience and customer management is handled today in many companies.

I simply will never understand when people use a good TA and let them handle the issues or questions. No need to call Regent, Crystal, Seabourn etc. This is what your TA does and is paid to do it.

I think it depends upon your personality. If you need a TA to do everything for you then by all means have them do it...if they will. For others who have quick questions and want quick answers on their own then it would be easier for them to call Regent directly. Also depends on how much time you have to devote to travel related matters, some have little hours others have many. My TA, who makes good commissions off me would be happy to do it, but I would not bother him for small matters so I would want both options (TA service and self serve).

There doesn't need to be "a person" dedicated to this. When someone calls Regent, the company should identify (through some sort of authentication protocol and customer information system that is simple and easy for the customer), what their status is whether new or the customers loyalty status. Regent can then provide the best service based on their knowledge of the customer. For example, when a titanium customer calls Regent, the customer service agent should have that customers history and preferences automatically loaded onto their customer service screen. That way Regent knows who you are to be able to better serve you...and the customer is happy because of the personal experience. This is how client experience and customer management is handled today in many companies.

Completely agree with you. One area where I feel Regent could use improvement is the communication between headquarters and the ships. This may be more difficult than I'm thinking. We have found that headquarters is usually close to 100% correct in terms of our details. However, there seems to be a delay in transferring this information to the ships. While I truly believe that the information the OP's TA received from the person they contacted in Miami is correct, one can only hope that the Mariner will will also have that information. The good news is that things can easily be corrected once you are on board.

The customer service people at Regent do have access to our records. There have been times when they ask me to sign out of my account so they can access it (note: the only time we call Regent is to delete or change excursions). However, I do not feel that Titanium, Platinum, Gold or Silver Seven Seas Society members deserve better service than Bronze members. This speaks to my feeling that all people deserve the same service. Certainly, as Platinum members, we receive extra perks -- but, IMO, customer service should be the same for everyone.

Suite Travels: Agree with you also. We always contact our TA before calling Regent (except as mentioned above) because they have contacts within Regent headquarters that we don't have. Still, as I posted, there have been times when the ship's computer is not up to date. While a tiny bit frustrating, any questions we have had were easily solved once on board. So, although I agree with you regarding contacting your TA, I also feel that many questions can wait until you get on board. After all, the odds are that there won't even be a problem so why worry about it in advance?

You are correct Jackie. Most issues can be resolved onboard. Yes most if not all TA's have numbers to cruise lines we don't have and I hate being in voice jail. Our TA is so sweet and will always get back to us. No request is too big or too small. I just hate being on hold or going through prompts on the phone.

I do not feel that Titanium, Platinum, Gold or Silver Seven Seas Society members deserve better service than Bronze members. This speaks to my feeling that all people deserve the same service. Certainly, as Platinum members, we receive extra perks -- but, IMO, customer service should be the same for everyone.

Agree, but it not necessarily better service, just different service. A new customer will have different needs than an experienced one and the company should know their profile and preferences so that they can better meet their needs

Wendy, do you really think that there should be a person dedicated to answering questions regarding the Seven Seas Society? ...

No I don't think they need a dedicated person, but someone who knows the policies and can spell them out. What do smilies have to do with anything, and how do you know I'm not smiling? Yes Plat is a big "accomplishment", a status I will never achieve.

Of course, I use a knowledgeable TA and don't have to call Regent to ask questions, but some people like to book direct.

No I don't think they need a dedicated person, but someone who knows the policies and can spell them out. What do smilies have to do with anything, and how do you know I'm not smiling? Yes Plat is a big "accomplishment", a status I will never achieve.

Of course, I use a knowledgeable TA and don't have to call Regent to ask questions, but some people like to book direct.

Was posting when you were and want to address "smiles". If you read back to the beginning of this thread, the OP made a comment about smiles to which I responded.