Premium drinks package not offered - Legend of the Seas

We have friends travelling on Legend from Singapore to Perth in September. We were discussing drinks packages and I was recommending the Premium Package for them (we have used it twice).

Anyhow, on reviewing their TA correspondence, and checking their booking on the RCI web site, the Premium Package is not available for selection. It's either the Select, or the Ultimate (and the AUD prices have gone up as well!).

Has anyone seen this before? Quite disappointing is this is a new "policy".

Not sure why it's not showing. As to the price, it is fixed in US dollars so as our dollar keeps falling prices will comparatively go up. I'm back in the US in Novemeber and have already started stocking up on cash - they are predicting we will fall to US60c by years end :eek:

On our Mariner cruise in March (out of Singapore), I couldn't see the Premium package on the planner. But I can't remember if it was available on board, sorry! I got the Select and my husband got the Ultimate. The soda package wasn't available online ahead of the cruise, but it was definitely available once on board.

And, yes, like yours, the prices for drink packages on our cruise in Canadian $ is insane! Our dollar is in a bit of a free fall too. It's weird, I did some checking and the cruise cost is still at 1.26 (CDN-US), but the drink packages are at about 1.3, when last week they were at about the same exchange rate as the cruise itself. Haven't checked shore excursions lately. Our cruise is still 16 months away, so I'm just trying to pass the time with some research. I can't even buy drink packages yet. Just looking.

They should check into buying OBC from Gifts and Gear. There is an ongoing thread for Canadian Cruisers where people are reporting getting a great exchange rate for OBC ahead of the cruise. Much better than what the banks and credit cards are giving. That might work for Australians too. You buy OBC in US dollars, and they bill your credit card in Australian dollars. Even if the exchange rate isn't amazing, as long as it's on par with what you're expecting, then at least you're not paying the additional service charge for a foreign currency transaction (which for our credit card is an additional 2.5% I think).

The price has gone up to show the drop in Aussie $ compared to USD$. This only happened last week. Usd$ is the currency that RC uses and they adjusted the the rates last week. People on € and £ said the same thing happened to them last week. This new hike Odense name the drinks package at all attractive for Aussies at all!

Hi there

Does anyone know if the drinks packages include wine in the dining room? The packages say wine by the glass so I assume you can get it by the glass in the dining room. Makes a big difference if you can - or can't!

Many thanks.

Cheryl

Hi there

Does anyone know if the drinks packages include wine in the dining room? The packages say wine by the glass so I assume you can get it by the glass in the dining room. Makes a big difference if you can - or can't!

Many thanks.

Cheryl

The drink packages are honored in all restaurants.

We have friends travelling on Legend from Singapore to Perth in September. We were discussing drinks packages and I was recommending the Premium Package for them (we have used it twice).

Anyhow, on reviewing their TA correspondence, and checking their booking on the RCI web site, the Premium Package is not available for selection. It's either the Select, or the Ultimate (and the AUD prices have gone up as well!).

Has anyone seen this before? Quite disappointing is this is a new "policy".

Premium Package not available on the Mariner OTS too sailing from Singapore. I called RC and they confirmed that.

Tell them to buy some OBC and then see if it's available when they board. They actually might get a better deal that way.

Can Aussies buy OBC through Gifts and Gear? I've been looking at those sort of things for my upcoming Legend cruise (out of Brisbane) and I can't see where I can buy OBC.

• 1 month later...

Hi total newbie here never cruised before but heading out on Sunday. Can anyone let me know re the drinks packages for example I am looking at a package which includes wine up to $9 per glass. If you choose something more expensive do you just pay the difference? any tips much appreciated thanks

Hi total newbie here never cruised before but heading out on Sunday. Can anyone let me know re the drinks packages for example I am looking at a package which includes wine up to $9 per glass. If you choose something more expensive do you just pay the difference? any tips much appreciated thanks

You just pay the difference.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

We just returned from sailing to Perth via Singapore on Legend of the Seas. IF you try to purchase a drink package online ahead of time they DO NOT offer the premium drink package, only the ultimate which was $63 USD per day. However, onboard you can get the premium package for $57 USD per day. These rates include the 18% service charge as well. I found this practice very misleading, since we were trying to buy everything ahead of time.

Personally, I bought the premium coffee package (I think it was called the replenishment package) because it included premium coffee drinks, bottled still water and bottled sparkling water (San Peligrino). This worked out great for me because I'm not a big alcohol drinker. Also, if you by by the glass or can for beer...go with the Fosters Beer. You get the HUGE can for $8.50 USD and you'll get about 3 glasses from that one can of beer.

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

We are on Legend, again :D (sorry, not our favourite ship) in October. Not sure why, but we managed to score the Premium package for ZERO dollars on the web site. It could be due to our membership level with crown and anchor, but I'm not convinced. Every time I go in to look, it comes up as purchased.

Also booked for Voyager in April but can't get the same deal on that one. I have my travel agent looking into it on the QT. Don't want to spoil the other cruise.

We were able to purchase any package on the website once we boarded the ship (any sailing from Australian Waters). To tell the truth, we don't drink enough to make them worth our while. I guess that could be the reason RC has given it to us for nothing.

Hi Funny name

We've never booked RCI before and there was the premium package for $0 for us also. So I booked it for the two of us and paid nothing. I even have a paid receipt for nothing.

When we board I will insist it's a perk, but in reality I'm betting it's a mistake. I'd be very surprised if they honor it. No way would we pay for it as we only have 1 drink a day.

My fear is that they put it on our bill at the end of the cruise and I owe them $1800 for our 1 drink a night.

Please let us know what your TA finds out.

• 2 months later...
Hi all.

We are on Legend, again :D (sorry, not our favourite ship) in October. Not sure why, but we managed to score the Premium package for ZERO dollars on the web site. It could be due to our membership level with crown and anchor, but I'm not convinced. Every time I go in to look, it comes up as purchased.

Also booked for Voyager in April but can't get the same deal on that one. I have my travel agent looking into it on the QT. Don't want to spoil the other cruise.

We were able to purchase any package on the website once we boarded the ship (any sailing from Australian Waters). To tell the truth, we don't drink enough to make them worth our while. I guess that could be the reason RC has given it to us for nothing.

Hi Funny Name,

Did your Travel Agent find out anything about the zero dollars premium drink package? I have also purchased two packages for zero dollars. I'm wondering if they will be honoured onboard.

Hi,

The best info I have managed to find -

It's part of a promotion and because you managed to book within the "special" time period, you've scored the package.

Legend is not that popular thus the "special" on this boat only (Majesty is running a similar "Special" at the moment on European sailings.

I called RCC and they have promised to honour the drinks package.

My travel agent, in this case, has been of little help.

Finally, the package is listed as purchased and paid in full on my itinerary.

I hope this helps,

Lyssa

Hi Lyssa,

Thanks for the fantastic reply - our good luck if it is a special promotion.

I spoke to RCC at a travel show and the girls on the counter knew nothing about it. They told me to ring up RCC. I thought I would investigate here before I rang them as I didn't want to jinx our luck.

Our packages were listed and paid for (zero$) straight away with an email receipt.

Sue.

• 2 weeks later...
Just received an email overnight saying our premium drinks package has been cancelled due to non payment .... was a "premium zero $". Has anyone else had this happen?

??? ?? They have used strange wording!!

Presumably, as required, you have already paid in advance? I would certainly be making a phone call to find out what is going on..

Phil..

Just received an email overnight saying our premium drinks package has been cancelled due to non payment .... was a "premium zero $". Has anyone else had this happen?

Yes, we received this email. Have spoken to RC who have referred it to their Miami office and will give us a reply in 72 hours. Also, we are reporting it to Consumer Affairs Victoria in case we don't get a satisfactory reply.

Hi,

The best info I have managed to find -

It's part of a promotion and because you managed to book within the "special" time period, you've scored the package.

Legend is not that popular thus the "special" on this boat only (Majesty is running a similar "Special" at the moment on European sailings.

I called RCC and they have promised to honour the drinks package.

My travel agent, in this case, has been of little help.

Finally, the package is listed as purchased and paid in full on my itinerary.

I hope this helps,

Lyssa

Lyssa,

Did you get a cancellation email or are they honouring your package?

Sue.

We're from UK and have booked this cruise. When I go into my cruise planner all the drinks packages are available to purchase including the select, premium and ultimate. I did a 'dummy purchase' and was able to buy the premium package