Perfect Kindle book to take along on an Alaska cruise!

mamasylvia

If I was going in the pool, I wouldn't take my Kindle along. I hope the weather will be nice enough that I can read on our balcony on sea days, and I plan to take it on at least one excursion where I know there is a long travel time (Misty Fjords). I also don't have the Fire, I have an old KK and a newer Paperwhite - the latter is coming on the cruise, plus I have the Kindle app on my phone and I'm downloading TV shows to my phone also using the Netflix app. I don't know what I'll be in the mood for when I'm tired of the awesome Alaska scenery but I'll be prepared for anything! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle for travelling! No more dragging along multiple heavy paper books or worrying about running out of things to read. No more trying to balance a paperback along with my other stuff on a flight. I can easily put a couple of HUNDRED books on my Paperwhite, imagine trying to fit that in your suitcase! lol

when on the cruise, do you worry about leaving amore expensive tablet reader lying on a pool chair? My husband is bringing our old b&w kindle reader along for this reason.....

That's a great idea! If you're going to be away from your chair and stuff, it is definitely safer.

I'm excited because one of my favorite authors who writes a series of books based in Alaska has a new book coming out the day we sail. I already pre-ordered the Kindle book and that will be my primary cruise reading. :)

Which series is that? The only ones I know of featuring Alaska are a couple of mystery series that I can't remember the author of, one featuring a woman named Kate who lives mostly in the backwoods and the other featuring a male police detective in town. (You can tell it's been a while since I've read either, they got too dark for me.)

Which series is that? The only ones I know of featuring Alaska are a couple of mystery series that I can't remember the author of, one featuring a woman named Kate who lives mostly in the backwoods and the other featuring a male police detective in town. (You can tell it's been a while since I've read either, they got too dark for me.)

Both of those are written by Dana Stabenow. I read the Kate Shugak series. Although, one of the most recent Kate books had Liam Campbell show up. :D

There is a series of books by Dana Pettrey - first book is called Submerged. It is a Christian suspense/murder series. The religion is pretty light. A friend recommended this series and I enjoyed it more then I thought I would. They take place in Alaska (fiction).

Just loaded up the e reader with the Kate Shugan Investigation series...thanks for the tip [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope you like them!

There is a series of books by Dana Pettrey - first book is called Submerged. It is a Christian suspense/murder series. The religion is pretty light. A friend recommended this series and I enjoyed it more then I thought I would. They take place in Alaska (fiction).

That sounds good. I'm going to go look for those. Thanks!

The Kindle version of first book is currently free!

https://www.amazon.com/Submerged-Alaskan-Courage-Book-1-ebook/dp/B0073UPPC8/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1493242746&sr=1-3-catcorr

Sue Henry is another Alaska-based author, and my favorite book of hers is "Death Takes a Passage." It's set on a small cruise ship that is re-creating the famous Vogage of 1897. The ship sets sail from Skagway bound for Seattle with two tons of Yukon gold aboard. Among others on the ship are Alex Jensen, an Alaska State Trooper, and his girlfriend, Jessie Arnold, who is a musher. These two characters appear in a number of Ms. Henry's books.

I have decided to leave my Nook at home for my upcoming cruise and instead am going to use both Kindle and Nook apps on my cell phone. I hope I'll like it.

If you are an Amazon Prime member they make 4-6 books a month available to download for free without being a Kindle subscriber. They are often #1 of a series to try to get you hooked, so the quality is not bad. I have 4 or 5 loaded on my Nexus 7 so if I do not like one I can try another.

You can also download issues of a lot of magazines.

They appear to be subject to the 10 book limit on Kindle.

Edited by QShip
add information

> instead am going to use both Kindle and Nook apps on my cell phone

Have you spent any extended time reading on your cell? I would suggest you do. It doesn't bother me but I know many people hate the small amount of text on each page, requiring frequent swipes.

I have decided to leave my Nook at home for my upcoming cruise and instead am going to use both Kindle and Nook apps on my cell phone. I hope I'll like it.

I tried once to read on my phone. I did not like it. I am glad my Kindle is small and thin - I would also encourage you to try to read on your cell and see if you like it.

I tried once to read on my phone. I did not like it. I am glad my Kindle is small and thin - I would also encourage you to try to read on your cell and see if you like it.
So far, so good. Our itinerary is port intensive, so probably the only time I'll be reading is in bed.

I've only had a smartphone for a year and a half and never thought I would be able to read on it. But, I use it as my primary "Kindle" now. I plan to have that loaded and take one paper book that is by an author who might be speaking on the ship. I'm with Cruise_More_Often, I have a feeling I won't have much time to read except before bed.

I'm not sure what I'll be reading on the cruise but I thought some good reading preparing for Alaska was in order so I recently finished James A. Michener's "Alaska". Good read to get historical background on the places we will be visiting...