So confused about Honduras...

singjenn

I am so confused about Isa Roatan/Mahogany Bay Honduras...

My husband and I went in 2008. We are doing this same cruise this summer that we did then, but this time we are going to do excursions that we didn't do last time. I've been looking at pictures of the port in Honduras and it looks NOTHING like where we were last time. It has the same name except the Mahogany Bay part. ???? When we were there before the people told us that they only had a ship every 9 days. It was an AWFUL port...we were only off the boat for less than 30 minutes. The picture below is what our port looked like when we were there. the view was gorgeous but that's about it... Is the place the ship docks now a new location but on the same island? When we went before there was no beach anywhere to be found.....let alone one within walking distance... did the tear everything down? There was a white church on the hill, and when I look at photos of it now, I don't see it.. I hope someone can clear this up because I'm confused...

Isla Roatan, Honduras

THis is what it looks like now.... Carnival Cruise 318 Not even close!!

honduras.jpg.b941f7351b3884594810a1219c04626a.jpg

Our Itinerary never said anything about Coxen hole?? So Isla Roatan is like a state and Mahogany Bay and Coxen Hole and like cities?

No,

It's like Roatan is a small Western Carribean Island with two ports, they are about 5 miles from one another Thecruise companies wante their own place so they built their own port

No,

It's like Roatan is a small Western Carribean Island with two ports, they are about 5 miles from one another Thecruise companies wante their own place so they built their own port

So it's more like Costa Maya which is man made? How long has this port existed?

It was an AWFUL port...we were only off the boat for less than 30 minutes.

Hi Jenn!

I'm curious how you determined it was such an AWFUL port, yet you didn't see anything but the dock? That's like saying Disney World is a terrible place, but you never made it out of the parking lot! :confused: I've been all over the Caribbean & West Indies and Roatan is one of my favorite ports. If you're going again, do yourself a favor and actually see the island this time! :)

Mahogany Bay has only existed for a few years, and it was created for convenien$$. There is a beach right by the ship and you can swim, shop, and eat without ever leaving Carnival's property... or their cash registers! ;) The locals don't like this port, because they feel it cheats them out of getting any of your money... but the real person it cheats is you, because with their man-made beach right there, you may never realize the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean is just minutes away!

Everything outside the ship's compound is reasonably priced (dirt cheap really!) and negotiable, so do yourself a favor and get out of the parking lot this time! You may like what you see...

20281e30-9dc6-4bcf-a91f-7737802fc90e.jpg?rnd=0.1927258

Hi Jenn!

I'm curious how you determined it was such an AWFUL port, yet you didn't see anything but the dock? That's like saying Disney World is a terrible place, but you never made it out of the parking lot! :confused: I've been all over the Caribbean & West Indies and Roatan is one of my favorite ports. If you're going again, do yourself a favor and actually see the island this time! :)

Mahogany Bay has only existed for a few years, and it was created for convenien$$. There is a beach right by the ship and you can swim, shop, and eat without ever leaving Carnival's property... or their cash registers! ;) The locals don't like this port, because they feel it cheats them out of getting any of your money... but the real person it cheats is you, because with their man-made beach right there, you may never realize the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean is just minutes away!

Everything outside the ship's compound is reasonably priced (dirt cheap really!) and negotiable, so do yourself a favor and get out of the parking lot this time! You may like what you see...

I think I'm being misunderstood.....

The port I'm referring to apparently is Coxen Hole and not Mahogany Bay. Coxen Hole was awful.... We didn't have an excursion planned because we don't usually do excursions for every port if there are alot of ports. We just wanted to get off and look around. There was NOTHING at this port. There was a tiny little market like where the locals made stuff, but that was it. The kids came up to us begging for money.

When we cruised in 2008 our doucments said nothing about Coxen Hole. It was ONLY Isla Roatan, Honduras. At that time there was no Mahagony Bay so that's my guess as to why Coxen Hole was never mentioned. I have been searching Google for information but as I said before, I thought it was the same port. I have never heard of the other port refereed to as Coxen Hole until I posted this...so from my searching I was looking at the same port which is why I was confused. I'm sure that Mahogany Bay will be nothing like Coxen Hole.

I too will have to add that to truly experience Roatan, get off the ship and see some of the island whether you dock at Coxen Hole or Mahogany Bay.

The key to any successful trip is to research BEFORE you get there what it is like and what there is to do..... luckily you are doing that this trip so you will know better what there is to do (and there are lots of things to do) and what sounds good for your day there.

Coxen Hole is the original port. It was and still is not much. Any travel site will tell you it is not a good place to be at night. Still very impoverished as is most of the island. Perhaps on your first visit they did not say "Coxen Hole" as the port since the island only had the one. Now there are two so they must differentiate between the two.

Mahogany Bay was built by Carnival Corp. for their ships (Carnival, Holland America etc) and is all man made including the beach. If you want to go all the way to Roatan Honduras and not experience anything of the TRUE island.... stay there. Or.....

head to West End and have a cheap and wonderful seafood lunch, shop in the tiny shops and take a snorkel trip with one of the dive shops there.

or..... head to West Bay and sit on one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to (and I've been to ALOT) swim in the gorgeous water and snorkel...... sip fruity drinks with umbrellas in them and relax......

or..... go on a tour of the island, see the monkeys, go zip lining etc etc.....

Lots to do here. Friendly people (remember to smile and you get one back) and cheap prices...... just keep researching and you'll find what is right for you.

I too will have to add that to truly experience Roatan, get off the ship and see some of the island whether you dock at Coxen Hole or Mahogany Bay.

The key to any successful trip is to research BEFORE you get there what it is like and what there is to do..... luckily you are doing that this trip so you will know better what there is to do (and there are lots of things to do) and what sounds good for your day there.

Coxen Hole is the original port. It was and still is not much. Any travel site will tell you it is not a good place to be at night. Still very impoverished as is most of the island. Perhaps on your first visit they did not say "Coxen Hole" as the port since the island only had the one. Now there are two so they must differentiate between the two.

Mahogany Bay was built by Carnival Corp. for their ships (Carnival, Holland America etc) and is all man made including the beach. If you want to go all the way to Roatan Honduras and not experience anything of the TRUE island.... stay there. Or.....

head to West End and have a cheap and wonderful seafood lunch, shop in the tiny shops and take a snorkel trip with one of the dive shops there.

or..... head to West Bay and sit on one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to (and I've been to ALOT) swim in the gorgeous water and snorkel...... sip fruity drinks with umbrellas in them and relax......

or..... go on a tour of the island, see the monkeys, go zip lining etc etc.....

Lots to do here. Friendly people (remember to smile and you get one back) and cheap prices...... just keep researching and you'll find what is right for you.

After someone told me there were two ports the ships visit now, it dawned on me that was why in the past they didn't say anything about Coxen Hole and just called It Isla Roatan. When I was searching earlier I just thought they built it (Coxen Hole) up and turned it into something better. If we had not scheduled excurions in other ports we might would have at that port, but when I was looking for things to do(coxen hole) nothing appealed to me.. I am looking forward to what the new port has...we might just relax on the beach...we haven't decided for sure yet.

I visited Coxen Hole when it was a dirt lot too... I know what kind of impression it made. :( Luckily, we hired a van to take us around the island and ended up at West Bay beach. :) Now, when I'm lucky enough to visit, I head straight there. :D Whether you just want a drink in your hand and your toes in the sand, or you want to try snorkeling on a world class coral reef, this place has it all! If I could only get off the ship at one port, it would be this one!

I am looking forward to what the new port has

If I could only get off the ship at one port each cruise, it would be this one! :cool: Just like an airport, the ship's port should be thought of as a parking lot! If you want to get anything out of your visit, don't stay in the parking lot! ;)

We cruised to Roatan in 2009 and docked in Coxen Hole. We didn't find Roatan awful at all. Sure not alot around Coxen Hole but we had done research prior to going and had booked a private tour guide. We loved our time there. We still talk about how amazing our day in Roatan was. Now if we go back on Princess and dock in Mahogany Bay you can rest assured that we will hightail it out of this man-made area. I guess for some that want things to be pristine it's the place to be. For us, we can go to places like Mahogany Bay in the United States. We like to see the actual islands we visit.

This is funny, our last cruise down there, Mahagony Bay was just about to open, and we were so excited! Instead the ship showed up, a sandbar had rebuilt itself and we could not get into Mahogany Bay. And so we too sat in Coxen Hole all day without an excursion. But, we thougt it was beautiful, the water was beautiful, the way the sun struck the hill tops, we stayed on the ship most of the day, swam in the pool. Saw the mountains in the distance, watched the dancers on the dock, and had some of the best coffee we have ever had at a little shop. It was beauty burned into our souls, and we are so looking forward to getting back there. Even if it is finally to sit on a beach, snorkel and see what Carnival built with Mahagony Bay.

After someone told me there were two ports the ships visit now, it dawned on me that was why in the past they didn't say anything about Coxen Hole and just called It Isla Roatan. When I was searching earlier I just thought they built it (Coxen Hole) up and turned it into something better. If we had not scheduled excurions in other ports we might would have at that port, but when I was looking for things to do(coxen hole) nothing appealed to me.. I am looking forward to what the new port has...we might just relax on the beach...we haven't decided for sure yet.

I know a lot of people opt for the Carnival built beach, shopping area. However, I second what other people have said - get an excursion and go out and see the island. It is beautiful! You can see and hold the monkey and birds at Victor Bodden's, see an iguana farm, zipline if any of you are adventuresome, and then spend some quality beach time at West End at one of the beach clubs. Check on this board for recommendations on hiring a driver/tour for the day.

IMG_0893.jpg.57dc3cec137460621dbd962db18ded68.jpg

This is funny, our last cruise down there, Mahagony Bay was just about to open, and we were so excited! Instead the ship showed up, a sandbar had rebuilt itself and we could not get into Mahogany Bay. And so we too sat in Coxen Hole all day without an excursion. But, we thougt it was beautiful, the water was beautiful, the way the sun struck the hill tops, we stayed on the ship most of the day, swam in the pool. Saw the mountains in the distance, watched the dancers on the dock, and had some of the best coffee we have ever had at a little shop. It was beauty burned into our souls, and we are so looking forward to getting back there. Even if it is finally to sit on a beach, snorkel and see what Carnival built with Mahagony Bay.

How do I get to know people or a country, go see it. Coxen hole is closer to West end/ or west bay. The biggest super market on the island is less than a mile. (Honduran coffee is great to bring back) There are cabs right outside the gate you can tak a tour. If you want a private beach with bathrooms and showers look up Parrot Tree. They have food and tiki bar as well. Infinity bay and Mayan princess will give you a day pass for there facility for a small charge. Right on west bay beach.

Roatan is beautiful, the people are wonderful and get out and enjoy more than the cruise dock. Fuego De Dios consume es todos!

Archived