Has anyone booked a Breakway studio?

HowardK

I am going in mid-September. I am actually on the fence about going- I had a wonderful time on the Epic but with 59 studios vs 128 I am concerned about not being with enough solos. I was almost trying to get my 4/13 Epic reservation back or just doing the Epic mid December like I did last time.

Terms of the make up of the cruise itself; a newer pricier ship, I would imagine a higher percentage of married couples on this perhaps than the Epic? Although I would likely need to read the first 5-6 reviews of the Breakaway before making my final payment.

booked a solo room on the Breakaway for a June cruise. My first solo cruise. Still contemplating if I made the right decision or if should continue to beg friends and family to join me (in a regular room). I'm nervous that there won't be many solo cruisers on board - it may be a bust for me. Especially if not many solo rooms to begin with (59). I look weekly to see if the same amount of solo rooms are left - if NCL allows you to see all open rooms in a room rate (TI) then they haven't sold any additional solo rooms on my cruise since I booked a few weeks ago :eek: !!! Unfortunately, it will be too late for me to read reviews since my final payment is due BEFORE the first Breakaway cruise :rolleyes: SIGH.....

I've booked a studio for December. Still hopeful that one of my friends will jpin me amd book another studio as well. You raise a good point with half the amount of rooms available..makes me worry about what age group will likely book these first!

It kind of seems for the Bermuda portion it is heavily weighted towards couples; my guess right now is people in groups are booking other ships. Which December booking do you have? I did have hold on the 16th I believe but kept the September one for now.

If anything, they should have doubled the amount of studios as you would have a large population of solo cruisers in the NYC metro area.

I'm going on the EPIC next week and if I enjoy it plan to book a studio on the Breakaway. I'm interested to hear reviews once people get on it too. I'm personally not worried about the number of other solos on the cruise as that's not a priority for me in booking a cruise.

I'm sure you'll get a better feel for the age group of the people on the ship once people have experienced the ship and written reviews about it. It's important to note that they are probably reducing the amount of studios on the Breakaway because they weren't often selling out of the studios on the EPIC.

Hopefully some solos that are going on the Breakaway soon will let you know what the demographic was like on the ship.

Im also booked in a studio on breakaway. Im curious about location. I booked a room right by the lounge, wondering if that is a good choice or if its better to be further away.

Any previous Epic studio dwellers want to weigh in?

It looked to me like the lounge was two levels with studios adjacent to both floors. My room is close to the bar..I mean lounge too! lol We'll be neighbors.

It looked to me like the lounge was two levels with studios adjacent to both floors. My room is close to the bar..I mean lounge too! lol We'll be neighbors.

Hey neighbor!!

Oh you are right, I forgot all about the two levels. Im on deck 11, so I guess my studio is close to the stairs leading down to the actual lounge.

Everyone interested in being a solo cruiser in a studio cabin for the Breakaway should get together and get on the same date/intinerary... :)

Me and Buckeyeatsea are both booked on the December 8th sailing to florida and bahamas! I'll be celebrating my 28th birthday and he'll be celebrating his 18th solo cruise lol. You're more than welcome to join the Breakaway Solos!!:)

Hey neighbor!!

Oh you are right, I forgot all about the two levels. Im on deck 11, so I guess my studio is close to the stairs leading down to the actual lounge.

I think I'm on 11 as well, so keep the noise down over there! lol I hope those cabin walls are well insulated. I'm a light sleeper!

No party animals over here. Thats why I vacation alone, so I can do whatever...including sleeping lol

Ok..I will tip toe when coming back from the nightclub/jazz club at 3am.:D

That is the beauty of solo cruising...doing what you want, when you want, how you want.:eek:

Has anyone been in the Epic studios? Was it considerably cheaper than a regular inside cabin? Considering trying one in the future but I found I could book a regular room cheaper than the studio prices.

While I haven't sailed in the studios yet, the price difference is made up with the added entertainment and studio lounge setup on the ship.

Now if those features arent that important to a solo cruiser the added cost is probably not worth it.

Or are you comparing prices on Epic, maybe I misunderstood your question. At times the inside cabins on Epic are lower than stuidos if they are having problems filling the ship.

Has anyone been in the Epic studios? Was it considerably cheaper than a regular inside cabin? Considering trying one in the future but I found I could book a regular room cheaper than the studio prices.

Hello, I did the Epic Studio in December 2011 and loved it. What I really enjoyed about it was that I met people from the forum within a few hours of sailing. Note, some people on my sailing actually changed to inside cabins.

It is a good room for sleeping in, but not designed to spend a whole day in like a balcony. I though would choose the less space and all of the great activities over another ship anyday

Were you finding regular rooms for the Breakaway cheaper for certain sailings?

If not for my work schedule in December, I would consider joining those of you going on the 8th.

Also, there is no advantage/disadvantage booking close or far from the Studio Lounge. People really only used it around 5:30 to gather, talk and make dinner plans.

It was not practical to use during the day as most people were outside.

Ok..I will tip toe when coming back from the nightclub/jazz club at 3am.:D

That is the beauty of solo cruising...doing what you want, when you want, how you want.:eek:

Slam Allen was great and will be on the Breakaway- he went out of his way to make sure passengers could get up on stage and play with the band. I played a few nights with them.

Only thing really missing from the Epic as far as I am concerned is bowling, but the ball would move toward the gutter when the ship moved!

Me and Buckeyeatsea are both booked on the December 8th sailing to florida and bahamas! I'll be celebrating my 28th birthday and he'll be celebrating his 18th solo cruise lol. You're more than welcome to join the Breakaway Solos!!:)

I was definitely tempted... but my best friend just told me yesterday that she might be getting married on 12/7.. don't think I could swing that and get to the boat... hmmm maybe I would need the vacation by then.. I may have to ponder this a bit more...

While I haven't sailed in the studios yet, the price difference is made up with the added entertainment and studio lounge setup on the ship.

Now if those features arent that important to a solo cruiser the added cost is probably not worth it.

Or are you comparing prices on Epic, maybe I misunderstood your question. At times the inside cabins on Epic are lower than stuidos if they are having problems filling the ship.

Okay, makes sense. I guess I just feel like that room would be too claustrophobic for me.

I was wondering about the pricing as well; for instance, my Jewel cruise is $765 for the single supplement. Seems like Epic and Breakaway studios are starting at $900.

Hello, I did the Epic Studio in December 2011 and loved it. What I really enjoyed about it was that I met people from the forum within a few hours of sailing. Note, some people on my sailing actually changed to inside cabins.

It is a good room for sleeping in, but not designed to spend a whole day in like a balcony. I though would choose the less space and all of the great activities over another ship anyday

Were you finding regular rooms for the Breakaway cheaper for certain sailings?

If not for my work schedule in December, I would consider joining those of you going on the 8th.

Also, there is no advantage/disadvantage booking close or far from the Studio Lounge. People really only used it around 5:30 to gather, talk and make dinner plans.

It was not practical to use during the day as most people were outside.

Okay, thanks for that info. I like it for the fact that it leaves from New York and I'd have various ways to get to the port from Toronto. I may give it a try next year.

I do tend to spend some time in my room, whether it be reading, napping, listening to music, etc. maybe more than a typical solo traveler, so I guess that's why I like the idea of a full sized room.

I actually just priced out a Breakaway cruise for the same week I'm going away in September and it equals how much I paid for the cruise and RT flight to Puerto Rico. I guess I got lucky with that single supplement.

You also have to factor in that breakaway is a brand new ship, so they can charge a premium and jewel is almost 10 years old. Since you spend lots of time in the cabin the studio concept might not work for you.

I love the southern Caribbean out of san juan and will probably squeeze in jewel or adverture this fall before Breakaway.

You also have to factor in that breakaway is a brand new ship, so they can charge a premium and jewel is almost 10 years old. Since you spend lots of time in the cabin the studio concept might not work for you.

I love the southern Caribbean out of san juan and will probably squeeze in jewel or adverture this fall before Breakaway.

Jewel...Been there, done that. Much less activities on the smaller older ship. I had a Balcony on the Jewel, the space for one was great and personally spending time in my room alone was great! But having a studio on the INCREDIBLE BREAKAWAY will definitely force me out of my room to engage in fun and meet fellow cruisers!

Archived