Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Panama Canal

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Celebrity Monkey Watch Tour

Has Any One Done The Monkey Watch Tour On The Celebrity Cruiseline.we Are Booked For April,it Seemed Like It Was A Interesting Shore Excursion,any Comments?
The Shopping At The Pier Can You Buy A Panama Hat There,not Too Expensive!what Other Crafts Are Interesting There.thankyou!

Old February 17th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Monkey see, monkey . . .

Is it my Internet connection (could well be) or CC's server? I work out a nice reply and go to post it and half the time lose it. Is this just me???

There are lots of places around Gatun Lake where monkeys hang out. You won't see them from the cruise ship because they are hidden in the trees. The tour operators know where to go, so likely you'll see a number of tribes of different kinds of monkeys.

When I was on Celebrity they used Cristobal Pier, which I actually prefer to Colon. There will be lots of Kuna Indians selling beautiful molas. Also Embera selling baskets, tagua nut carvings, and cocobolo wood carvings. I've posted some pictures of Embera crafts at http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/...embera-crafts/

Yes, they also have T-shirts and "Panama Hats", which, the ones you are undoubtedly thinking of, are made in Equador. Real Panama hats look something like this:

Sorry!! Not quite as sexy!

Regards,
Richard

Richard Detrich - Port & Canal Lecturer & Author
Panama Cruise Blog