How do you pack for a December cruise to the Bahamas?

I know December weather can be unpredictable. We are leaving out of Jacksonville in 9 days. My husband & I went last December but I honestly can't remember what the weather was like or what I wore. My mom is going on this one with me, her first! She keeps asking what she needs to pack & I'm really not sure. I'm thinking definitely long pants & a jacket, maybe 1 or 2 short outfits & a swimsuit. I thought others could give me insight on how you would pack for unpredictable weather.

I'd wait to pack until the day before and then look at the weather. I'm assuming this is only a 4-5 day cruise, and the weather will be known that far out the day before you leave.

Chances are that it will be warm but not hot.

Miami is not that far from Nassau or Freeport so check on Miami's weather. I would guess it will be warm, temps in low 80's, high 70's. Take a sweater or windbreaker in case its chilly but not a winter type jacket. Definitely take shorts and bathing suit, maybe one pair of long pants or jeans. We didn't need even jeans on our December cruise last year!

Start googling the 10 day forecast up until you leave. You can add or remove items you have packed depending on weather. I always have a small collapsible umbrella that always stays in my suitcase.

And I always pack a a couple of light weight cardi's for the ship. It can get chilly.

Windbreaker, t-shirt + cardigan, pashmina or similar scarf, long pants, capris for your mom. She can wear the long pants and the cardigan on the way to the ship. Even if they have a warm spell on the islands, on the ship it's windy outside and the air conditioning is cold inside.

Definitely pack some warm clothes/layers. We live in Florida and lots of time the Bahamas weather in early December is too chilly for us to do the beach which is why we choose to cruise the Southern Caribbean. Don't let that discourage you though...Check the weather a few days beforehand...You could get warm weather also.

If there is a cold front affecting Florida, it will affect the Bahamas, too. The Bahamas are NOT in the Caribbean...they're in the Atlantic! I would bring my summer clothes, tho, with something I could layer, just in case.

If there is no far reaching cold front, pack the summer clothes...it will be warm, just not HOT!

Edited by cb at sea

We check the long range forecast for Nassau.

I agree (and I do this every time I travel...what did I do before weather apps???? lol). I was there in early January for a race and it was warm during the day but cool at night.

I wouldn't count in a long range forecast in the winter. Weather this time of the year through March can change on a dime. I reiterate my advice if looking the day before you leave and packing accordingly, keeping in mind that winds could make it feel cooler than it actually is.