Carenage - worth exploring?

jerrib

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few shops (very few) and a couple of places to get a drink but overall the best thing to do is walk the carenage and see the sights of general grenada day life. My own preference is to visit the Carenage from the sea on a boat trip as this is where you really get the all encompassing view of our town as it rises up the hillside. I hope you have a great day in Grenada :cool:

About 5 mins if you walk the tunnel and about 10 mins if you go the hilly-through-town route. I walk the tunnel all the time but you just need to be safe and aware it is used by trucks and cars so stick to the side and walk it as fast as you can as ventilation isn't great.

There are plans to pedestrianize the whole thing which would be fantastic but it's ging to be a long time before it happens.

Have a fabulous day in Grenada :cool:

About 5 mins if you walk the tunnel and about 10 mins if you go the hilly-through-town route. I walk the tunnel all the time but you just need to be safe and aware it is used by trucks and cars so stick to the side and walk it as fast as you can as ventilation isn't great.

There are plans to pedestrianize the whole thing which would be fantastic but it's ging to be a long time before it happens.

Have a fabulous day in Grenada :cool:

Thank you. Maybe we'll do the hilly-through-town route on the way to and the tunnel back to the port. This will be our first visit to Grenada and looking forward to visiting your little piece of paradise.

WE are looking forward to welcoming you and I'm sure it wont be your last visit. :D To give an honest opinion town is somewhat chaotic in cruise season when a boat is in as everyone wants to sell or show you something. A polite thanks but no thanks if you don't want to should suffice. If you want to kick back and simply watch the world go by in the Carenage I receommend either Nutmeg or BBs Crabback. Both have great food and great views. There is the ocean grill too but haven't been there for a long time.

If walking up and over the hill then check out the batik workshop and if in town on a saturday morning get the flowers from the market (main day they are in) while you can -they are gorgeous :cool:

WE are looking forward to welcoming you and I'm sure it wont be your last visit. :D To give an honest opinion town is somewhat chaotic in cruise season when a boat is in as everyone wants to sell or show you something. A polite thanks but no thanks if you don't want to should suffice. If you want to kick back and simply watch the world go by in the Carenage I receommend either Nutmeg or BBs Crabback. Both have great food and great views. There is the ocean grill too but haven't been there for a long time.

If walking up and over the hill then check out the batik workshop and if in town on a saturday morning get the flowers from the market (main day they are in) while you can -they are gorgeous :cool:

Noted. We can't wait! Thanks for sharing. We will be arriving on the Summit, Wednesday 2 April 2014.

• 4 weeks later...

Islandstar, which way do we go for the "hilly through town route?" Last time we walked through the tunnel, and I'd like to go another way this time and see different things. Thanks for all your help! We enjoyed sitting and having a beer and crab cakes at a waterfront bar last time, enjoying the cool breeze. It was one of our favorite days of our cruise!

Islandstar, which way do we go for the "hilly through town route?" Last time we walked through the tunnel, and I'd like to go another way this time and see different things. Thanks for all your help! We enjoyed sitting and having a beer and crab cakes at a waterfront bar last time, enjoying the cool breeze. It was one of our favorite days of our cruise!

Sorry I missed this post - hope it isn't too late. The centre of town now has a brand new market square (way better than the old ramshackle huts we used to have) so I would suggest....come out of the terminal and go straight across the road towards the market.....at thetraffic lights go into the market and look about or keep going straight (you can go right but it isn't as interesting as this route I am giving you)...........turn next right up a small street (flow is down this road on the right if you need to check your bearing with a local)...............at the end of this you can follow the road right or take the more interesting cobbled road and stairs up towards the Anglican Cathedral.................then mosey right and follow the road back down towards some traffic lights...............turn left at lights and you will be heading down towards the carenage with batik shop on left and Tikal on the right. Museum down on the right too.

Hope you have fun and if you get lost just ask :cool:

Is it possible to take a taxi to Carenage? I know it isn't far, but we can't do hills and the thought of walking through the tunnel scares me. I'd really like to go there.

you could get a taxi but most folks would laugh as you would spend more time int he taxi going through our crazy one way system than it takes to walk there and back three times.

Honestly the tunnel isn't that scary it is 350ft long only. Stay on the right hand side as you walk to the Carenage (left if you are on your way back), let others walk out and around you and hug the wall and you will be fine :)

I understand that the Carenage (Inner harbor) is walkable from the cruise pier via the Sendall Tunnel. What is there to see and do at the Carenage, worth the walk? Thanks for any info.

On our 2012 Southern Caribbean Princess cruise we enjoyed :

-a walk through the tunnel (yes it's narrow but very doable and added to the adventure.)

-strolled along to a tiny private museum that gave a wonderful abbreviated overview of tumultuous history , slavery and shipwrecks.

-purchased a rum cordial from a hilarious street vendor. We brought a bottle back with us. Wierd stuff made from local berry

-Took the water taxi to Grand Anse beach.(don't set up near run off on far side as per warning by locals, Mosquitos)

-drinking local beer on the beach / nice loungers and laid back locals sold us beer/DH tried snorkelling (too cloudy saw zip)

-In laws did the spice market which is located on Grand Anse beach

This year our Celebrity cruise will also stop in Grenada. So far I'm considering:

-going to the market near terminal (use free wifi ) buy sundresses, and find more of the crazy rum cordial drink they specialize in (this is not Anne of Green Gables' Cordial)

-water taxi to Grand Anse very early in day, buy cinnamon and spice necklaces at craft market

- spending a portion of the day on board to take advantage of our drink package.

Do you have any other suggestions for us that we should add to our itinerary?

Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=Sendall+Tunnel&data=!1m4!1m3!1d15384!2d-61.7486143!3d12.053968!2m15!2m14!1shttps%3A%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent.com%2F-

Just in case anyone is still looking for information on the Sendall Tunnel in St. George's, Grenada, I found a few pictures. The link above shows 3 pictures that are part of Google Maps.

-drinking local beer on the beach / nice loungers and laid back locals sold us beer/DH tried snorkelling (too cloudy saw zip)

Do you have any other suggestions for us that we should add to our itinerary?

Cheers

Sorry he didn't see anything. Am unclear did he snorkel from beach? If so then yes there is nothing to see unless he goes to very north or very south of the beach where there are outcrops of rock etc and which offer marine life.

I would add in a powerboat ride and snorkel with Grenada Seafaris - its a one-stop shop of sightseeing from a marine angle, fun, unlimited info on the island and marine life.

whatever you chosse for you day I hope it is great fun :D

Sorry he didn't see anything. Am unclear did he snorkel from beach? If so then yes there is nothing to see unless he goes to very north or very south of the beach where there are outcrops of rock etc and which offer marine life.

I would add in a powerboat ride and snorkel with Grenada Seafaris - its a one-stop shop of sightseeing from a marine angle, fun, unlimited info on the island and marine life.

whatever you chosse for you day I hope it is great fun :D

Thanks for comment and suggestion. Yes it was an attempt to snorkel from the beach and I will investigate the Grenada Seafaris. Cheers.

• 8 months later...

We've been to Grenada twice now and are going again in December. The first time we did an island tour with a local operator, Grand Etang lake, etc.

The second time we walked through the tunnel and around the spectacular bay--surely one of the most beautiful in the world and seems very uniquely old Caribbean--I hope they don't modernize and change it too much!

There are a few places to eat, get drinks, etc. Then uphill through the town to the fort and back to the ship. It was a great day.

Kind of stumped on something different this time; probably a water taxi to Grand Anse beach.

Anyone have other suggestions for something new in Grenada?

We are snorkelers; I'll have to go back to the boards to figure out how to get there. Private tour?

We did go with a private tour: Grenada Seafaris. They were excellent. I know our ship (Emerald Princess) also had a tour that went there, but we use independent operators at every opportunity.

If you are snorkelers I can highly recommend visiting the Underwater Sculpture Park. It is amazing!!

We are snorkelers; I'll have to go back to the boards to figure out how to get there. Private tour?

We are going to Grenada in November on the Splendor repo. We are going snorkeling with Aquanauts Grenada. They have been very responsive and get great reviews on Trip Advisor.

I also contacted Grenada Seafaris but unfortunately they wouldn't book since they were in talks with Carnival for their services. By the time they contacted me that they were available, we had Aquanauts booked. Seafaris does look like a great excursion too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...