Which car rental company picks you up at Port Everglades?

gam888

We are considering renting a car for a few days after our cruise. Does anyone know if there is a car rental company that will pick you up from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) and take you to the airport to pick up a car. We will be returning the car back to the airport afterwards.

Also,if there is more than one car rental company that have this service, and if the rates are about the same, we would prefer if the car company car lot is located right inside the airport, rather than located in an off site facility which you have to take a shuttle to get to the departure area of the airport once you have returned the car. We have a lot of luggage (5 in the family) and would prefer minimum getting on and off vehicles.

Thanks.

About all major car rental companies had shuttels lined up at the port upon my arrival from the Oasis. I used Hertz, but as I said they were not the only ones and the shuttle went to the rental counter from where you wlked to the parking garage to your rental car.

You will have no choice but to take a shuttle. The easiest is probably Thrifty/Dollar who have a small office just outside the gate but they will still pick you up by shuttle.

None of the rentals are allowed to pick up straight at the ships.

There are many car rental companies that provide a shuttle from the cruise ship terminal over to their car lots. I would go with something like Hertz or Avis. You still have to take a shuttle from these rental car companies over to the airport. It is not possible to walk it and there are no rental car companies that I am aware of that serve the airport that you can easily walk.

Keith

We got off our cruise at Port Everglades 2 years ago and noticed there was a bus picking up passengers from the dock to some car rental place. Don't know which company it was, if they were going to the rental site at the airport or somewhere in Fort Lauderdale.

Someone mentioned they are not allowed to pick you up right at the ship???

We will be getting off the Oasis. I remember that whole port area is huge with over 10 ships docked there at one time. So I don't know if these car rental shuttle will pick people up at each of these docks? Since the port area is so huge I hope we don't have to drag all our luggage and have to walk all the way out of the port area to some counter just outside the gate?

As I said I remember seeing a bus picking up passengers who just got off our cruise 2 years ago, they were being transported somewhere to pick up their car.

Please share your experience with us. Again, thanks everyone for replying.

There is a shuttle bus that runs between Port Everglades and the car rental center at the airport. It used to be used by all the rental companies located in the RCC, but now it's only National and Alamo customers that can use it (both ways). The electronic sign on the bus alternates with "National/Alamo" and "Port Everglades".

There are other companies with rental locations nearby Port Everglades though. Hertz is in the Crowne Plaza just outside the 24th St gate and Dollar and Thrifty are in a location right at that gate as well. Enterprise is just down the block from the Crowne Plaza and Budget is just outside the 17th St gate beside the Renaissance Hotel. And then you can return the car to the airport when done. Whether any of them have shuttles is something that never seems to have a clear answer on here (some got a shuttle, some had to pay for the shuttle, etc). But they are close enough that a cab would be cheap anyway and a heck of a lot more convenient than dealing with a shuttle.

Archived