Review: GAdventures "Expedition" to Antarctica, Dec. 2012

dtvmacdonald

All

Thanks for taking the time to generate a fantastic description of MV Explorer. We are booked to go next year and now have a much better idea as to what to expect. Sounds like we are going to have a great time!:):):):)

Thanks again

Thanks for a very informative review. We're looking at Antarctica Dec 2014 to Jan 2015 as it seems late Dec & early Jan are usually the best months weather wise?

Still at the planning stage but really want to go to Falklands, South Georgia & spend time on the Antarctic peninsular.

So far we have narrowed it down to:

National Geographic

http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/expeditions/antarctica-south-georgia-falklands/detail#sthash.tQhjlKuT.dpuf

Hurtigruten

http://www.hurtigruten.com/explorer-voyages/antarctica/voyages/antarctica_expedition/#pricing

Quark

http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/antarctic-expeditions/crossing-circle-falklands-malvinas-south-georgia-epic-antarctica-2014-15/overv

Have now added G Adventure to our short list :)

http://www.gadventures.com.au/trips/spirit-of-shackleton/XVSHSX/2014/

Anyone know if there's any roll-calls for Antarctica expedition ships?

Cheers,

G&G :):cool:

Thanks for a very informative review. We're looking at Antarctica Dec 2014 to Jan 2015 as it seems late Dec & early Jan are usually the best months weather wise?

Check this discussion about that :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1928529

(at the end of the discussion, the weather issue is discussed : basically, weather forecast generalities should be very, very low on your list of priorities ;) ).

I'm leaving in less than three weeks for this very same voyage, I will make a review when coming back. We chose this trip because we have previous very good experiences with Hurtigruten, and because the program seemed very "balanced" (with a decent amount of time around the Peninsula).

For Antarctica roll calls, I think this board (Antarctica) is the most appropriate one on CC.

Check this discussion about that :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1928529

(at the end of the discussion, the weather issue is discussed : basically, weather forecast generalities should be very, very low on your list of priorities ;) ).

I'm leaving in less than three weeks for this very same voyage, I will make a review when coming back. We chose this trip because we have previous very good experiences with Hurtigruten, and because the program seemed very "balanced" (with a decent amount of time around the Peninsula).

For Antarctica roll calls, I think this board (Antarctica) is the most appropriate one on CC.

Have a great trip! Look forward to hearing all about it when you return!!

Cheers,

• 7 months later...

Was looking for info on the Antarctica sailing on the above. My wife just surprised me with this Trip for November 2015 for my 60th. Woe not sure what to expect. Love cruise but this is sure gonna be different. Sailing form Ushuaia to Antarctica.

Aussie Bob

• 2 weeks later...
I am so close to almost booking this same voyage, but from what I can see it doesn't sail the Lemaire Channel. Are you able to confirm this at all?

Nothing is guaranteed in the Antarctic.

Every briefing will contain the phrase 'We hope to...'.

On that basis it's best not to expect to see any particular place or creature.

Nothing is guaranteed in the Antarctic.

Every briefing will contain the phrase 'We hope to...'.

On that basis it's best not to expect to see any particular place or creature.

Understood. But based on the information on their website (and map) it doesn't even look like they even attempt to get through the channel, sticking mostly to the coast on the outside side of the channel. Hence why I'm interested to know.

Capture.jpg.5cd326ddcdd58efc0de9887c2846a21b.jpg

Understood. But based on the information on their website (and map) it doesn't even look like they even attempt to get through the channel, sticking mostly to the coast on the outside side of the channel. Hence why I'm interested to know.

Not sure as I am a novice at this but the itinerary looks good. Day 5-10 Antarctic Peninsula & South Shetland Islands (6B,6L,6D)

Bob Kath

I am 100% sure that they will not stick to the outside of the Peninsula ;) The map is clearly only indicative. The Lemaire Channel is just a tiny place and it doesn't show on a map at this scale (neither do all the other places you might see). And it's impossible to give a detailed itinerary this far in advance (as digitl says, it's already hard to know for sure in the morning where you will be in the afternoon...).

For an expedition-type cruise, what you are looking for is the amount of time spent in Antarctica. I would go for a trip that offers at least six days in the Peninsula/South Shetland Islands area. You will certainly not see everything. You will see things that you really didn't expect and you will be amazed (even if you end up not going through the Lemaire Channel, because as previously said, you never know).

They say on the cruise description : "Our goal is to attempt 2 excursions per day while we navigate through the area but our itinerary and daily schedule will be based on the local weather and ice conditions that we encounter". They can't say much more actually, but it's enough to know that you will be close to the excitment at all time (and definitely not cruising outside the Peninsula).

I am 100% sure that they will not stick to the outside of the Peninsula ;) The map is clearly only indicative. The Lemaire Channel is just a tiny place and it doesn't show on a map at this scale (neither do all the other places you might see). And it's impossible to give a detailed itinerary this far in advance (as digitl says, it's already hard to know for sure in the morning where you will be in the afternoon...).

For an expedition-type cruise, what you are looking for is the amount of time spent in Antarctica. I would go for a trip that offers at least six days in the Peninsula/South Shetland Islands area. You will certainly not see everything. You will see things that you really didn't expect and you will be amazed (even if you end up not going through the Lemaire Channel, because as previously said, you never know).

They say on the cruise description : "Our goal is to attempt 2 excursions per day while we navigate through the area but our itinerary and daily schedule will be based on the local weather and ice conditions that we encounter". They can't say much more actually, but it's enough to know that you will be close to the excitment at all time (and definitely not cruising outside the Peninsula).

Thanks so much for your wealth of information :) I have also had the agent check with the operator and they have said exactly what you've outlined here. I'm paying my deposit this afternoon and we'll be locked in!

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread. Thanks to all for the great information and photos.

We are close to booking on the Expedition for Feb. 2016. This trip attempts to cross the Antarctic Circle and has seven days planned in Antarctica in addition to the two each way crossing the Drake.

Trip Advisor has a great forum where you can find a lot of information http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12337-Antarctic_Adventures.html

I also have found some agencies very helpful: Swoop, Polar Cruises, and Expedition Trips. I have spent days comparing ships, reviews, itineraries, etc. Many of the ships are not mentioned or barely mentioned here.

In the end, for the time we want to go and the itinerary, the Expedition seems best. The Polar Pioneer (54 passengers) is a close second; it only has five days in Antarctica and one of them may be lost if the initial flight over the Drake is cancelled. The smaller ship would have been great for landings but the amenities onboard are even more spartan.

Now I just need to get DH to commit!

Thanks for a great review dtvmacdonald .....after nearly 12 months of researching we have now booked & we'll be doing the same trip you did :D :D

We will be aboard the m/s Expedition 'Quest for the Antarctic circle' 20th December 2014 & will be celebrating Xmas & New Year in Antarctica!!

Very excited,

hi G&G,

have a great trip.

i noticed your from he Gold coast we are from Perth Bob & Kath.

we are also doing the Antarctica trip in November 18th 2015.

i was wondering when you get back if you could email us and tell us

your experiences. we are doing the Kayaking are you guys doing it?

what ship are you on?

many thanks for your answers.

Have a fabulous trip! stay safe and well.

best regards Kath & Bob

hi G&G,

have a great trip.

i noticed your from he Gold coast we are from Perth Bob & Kath.

we are also doing the Antarctica trip in November 18th 2015.

i was wondering when you get back if you could email us and tell us

your experiences. we are doing the Kayaking are you guys doing it?

what ship are you on?

many thanks for your answers.

Have a fabulous trip! stay safe and well.

best regards Kath & Bob

We will be on m/s Expedition & one of us will be kayaking (not me) .....will be happy to let you know how it goes

Cheers,

This is a great thread. Thanks to all for the great information and photos.

We are close to booking on the Expedition for Feb. 2016. This trip attempts to cross the Antarctic Circle and has seven days planned in Antarctica in addition to the two each way crossing the Drake.

Trip Advisor has a great forum where you can find a lot of information http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12337-Antarctic_Adventures.html

I also have found some agencies very helpful: Swoop, Polar Cruises, and Expedition Trips. I have spent days comparing ships, reviews, itineraries, etc. Many of the ships are not mentioned or barely mentioned here.

In the end, for the time we want to go and the itinerary, the Expedition seems best. The Polar Pioneer (54 passengers) is a close second; it only has five days in Antarctica and one of them may be lost if the initial flight over the Drake is cancelled. The smaller ship would have been great for landings but the amenities onboard are even more spartan.

Now I just need to get DH to commit!

My boyfriend and I are booked on this trip - and like yourself I spent hours weighing up the pros and cons of each operator. I was holding out for the Quark schedule as my parents travelled with them in 2009, but I'm glad I went ahead and booked with G because when Quark finally released the dates they only had the same trip in January, and we had our heart set on February.

I shall be following the stories from returning passengers over the 2014-15 season closely - although I'm sure the next 18 months until it's our turn will fly!

Well that's exciting to know someone going on our trip! When did you book it and what category room do you have?

I may book direct with G as I just found out that we can pay in Canadian dollars which looks to be significant savings.

We will be talking more I'm sure.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for a great review dtvmacdonald .....after nearly 12 months of researching we have now booked & we'll be doing the same trip you did :D :D

We will be aboard the m/s Expedition 'Quest for the Antarctic circle' 20th December 2014 & will be celebrating Xmas & New Year in Antarctica!!

Very excited,

Have a great trip ... its been two years since I was there and I'm

amazed that this thread I started is still active! I'd

love to hear from folks if or how the experience on the Expedition

has changed, as I'm now considering a trip to S. Georgia, and my

selection criteria are quite diferent from before (it looks like I

wi8ll have to go to Antarctica, but I'm much more concerned with

the time spent at S. Georgia.