Walk from pier to Mahahual?

Chupa Cabras

Our cruise has changed ports from Cozumel to Costa May, so I'm trying to make changes to our excursions.

Looking at the map, I see the two locations seem a very short distance if you walk along the beach. The road appears 3 times as long. I read on another thread that there is a beach path the leads from Costa Maya to Mahahual.

Does anyone know where to find the path, and the actual distance? I love walking the beach, and we will need to meet the bus in Mahahual for the tour of Chacchoben ruins, so I need to know how long it would take.

I'd like to see as much of the landscape and flora and fauna as possible.

Thanks in adavance for any advice!

We were there two weeks ago, if you walk outside the gate towards some new shops they have built, it costs $2 per person to town. My wife and I, and our 13 yr old daughter wanted a ride and I tried to get him to do it for $5 because she was a kid, but he wouldn't do it for less than $6. But it's better than the $9 it would have cost in the port.

Regards John

My wife and I easily walked the beach area in about twenty minutes. We are in our fortys and not in top physical condition. The walk was a nice time with many iguanas and different birds along the way. When you come off the pier keep heading to the left and the beach keep going until you see a cement wall ;we just skirted around the wall and took the path. It was easy and enjoyable. We took a cab back.

Thanks mcanuk! The path is the dirt road that runs along the shore, right? Was there anyone else walking? Were there any carts or bikes?

When I was in Australia, I walked everywhere I could and saw the most amazing plants and animals! I'm a bit of an earth cookie :)

mcanuck,

It is not clear to me how you skirted around the wall. I have looked at photos and it looks like the wall goes right into the water. Did you walk into the water? or, did you follow the wall to the end and skirt around at that end?

I know this seems silly but I much prefer walking to taking a bus.

Thanks, from a fellow Canadian also in the 40's, only I'd say I'm in good shape, I walk everywhere I can.

Monica

I can't think of how you would walk. By the water I though I seen a wall.?????

And on the road you don't want to do that.

Its only 3.00 to get there and 2.00 to get back......

Cheap.. Fast and get ready to enjoy it.

I can't think of how you would walk. By the water I though I seen a wall.?????

And on the road you don't want to do that.

Its only 3.00 to get there and 2.00 to get back......

Cheap.. Fast and get ready to enjoy it.

I don't know how they skirted around the wall either...unless it was really low tide...because when I was there you would have had to swim around the wall....Going for a walk down the highway seemed nuts...$3 was much better!

Yes we did walk around the wall that goes into the water and yes your feet get wet.It was only up to our knees if that, as there is rock under the water(not corral).We had sandals on and had no problems.It wasnt a money issue,we could afford the cabs but just wanted to enjoy the walk. The path comes out just before Majauhal.The path is not always right on the beach but maybe 20 yards from it .I dont know how the other folks wound up on the highway as we didnt see it until we were coming into the village.It is easy to follow and not a big deal.The path did split at one point but we stayed to the left and kept the beach in sight for the most part.Yes there were other people along the path and some were sunbathing etc.

Funny thing about the walk along the beach from the pier to Mahahual. Several years ago when the pier opened there was a very nice path from the south end of the pier to the lighthouse near the town. Several business started to expand into the area. However, the owners of the pier said concern over security closed the south entry point (they had guards posted at the entry). Rumor has it the Taxi / Transportation Co-op did not like the lost business. Of course now you are encouraged to take the transportation.The walk is safe and not very long.

We took a taxi to the beach and walked back last time we were there. It was a beautiful walk, right along the beach and you could see the ship from a distance. We saw huge iguana's along the way. It gets a little isolated though and both my husband and I were a little freaked out second guessing out choice. I think its safe but it was a little strange feeling. When you get to the wall you do need to walk in the water a bit to get around it.

That path is very safe and used to be well traveled. It's actually listed as the future "boardwalk" in the city approved master plan for the port area. Unfortunately, the port owner is greedy and built a wall to keep cruisers in. The wall is built illegally; you are supposed to and used to be able to freely walk from the port to town. 50% of all the land between the port and town is owned by Americans, the other half by a citizen not related to the port.

Officials have been made aware of the wall and it will be dealt with. The overall walk into town is just over a mile, one way.

Along and further in from the boardwalk (towards the jungle), I've seen snakes, iguanas, birds, owls, crabs, coyotes and a racoon, as well as numerous fishes in the water. The snorkeling in town is terrible, while the snorkeling off of the boardwalk is quite good.

We exited the gates and walked along the road to town. After the gate, we took the 2nd left. There is a sidewalk to the highway. The highway portion had a 10-foot shoulder. It was perfectly safe. At the lighthouse, was the start of the dirt road into the village.

On the way back, we took the street before the port road (through the dirt parking lot). We walked through an undeveloped subdivision. We were alone most of the way. We connected with the port road near the new shop, just outside the gates (where all the dune buggies are parked).

Also, there are a few stray dogs in Mahahual, but we did not find them threatening.

http://www.xcalak.info/visit/uk/mahahual_area_map-uk.shtml

is the link to where I found the map. It shows the dirt road or pathway that goes to Mahahual from Costa Maya, but it doesn't show up on other maps, only the paved road which you can see is much longer.

Are you also thinking of walking, and when will you be going?

I found another map but it won't allow me to enter the link; it replaces part of it with **********. I'll try to post it later.
Here is the other link, but you'll have to remove the spaces to get it to work, that's the only way I can get it to not replace m a h a h u a l with *****'s.

http://www.m a h a h u a l.biz/html/mahahual.htm

John

From what I've read in other posts. There's an eight foot path that goes from the port terminal to the town of Majahual. The port owner was supposed to build a boardwalk to town but renegged on that part of the deal several years ago. The path has since been walled up by the port owner to prevent people from leaving. He also walled up access to the Cha Chi resort on the left several years ago because too many tourists were visiting that area instead of the port facilities. Sounds pretty rotten to me. There's apparently a couple of land squabbles going on there. I don't know about you but I'm not going to spend a single cent at the port facility when I'm there in April. I'm going to Majahual and spend my money with the locals.

Here's the thread with pictures...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=291724

Archived