What is a Tender Port?

cruisincountrygirl

At a regular port, the ship will pull up to the pier or dock, and you get off and walk or ride to whatever activity you're doing.

At a tender port, the ship isn't able to pull up to the pier or dock, usually because it's too shallow. You'll be loaded onto a small vessel called a tender, and taken to shore that way. Sometimes if there are a lot of ships at a regular port, some of the ships may have to stay offshore and bring their passengers in by tender.

Hope this answers your question.

Roz

Thanks, although I did know what a tender was, I have always wondered how many people they held:) Once they have ferried all passengers ashore, do they then go back and forth all day long, or do they wait till they are filled before they go back to the ship?

The tenders aren't that small--they usually hold about 100 folks or so...so we're not talking rowboat!

Thanks for clarifying. After I logged off earlier, I got started thinking about that. I wasn't thinking Titanic or anything, but I have to say I was using my imagination a little bit. . . :rolleyes:

Thanks, although I did know what a tender was, I have always wondered how many people they held:) Once they have ferried all passengers ashore, do they then go back and forth all day long, or do they wait till they are filled before they go back to the ship?

The tenders will run all day and leave on a regular basis regardless of load. Usually it is dictated by when the next tender arrives at the shore pier, the loading one leaves.

The tenders will run all day and leave on a regular basis regardless of load. Usually it is dictated by when the next tender arrives at the shore pier, the loading one leaves.

Something not mentioned to the OP is that ports that require tendering can be missed if the weather conditions are not favorable or declared unsafe for passengers or the vessels..... i.e. private islands or Grand Caymen as examples.

I've been reading all kinds of posts both in this thread and in others, where references are made to a tender port. What is that, and what's the difference between that and others?

Hello,

The other responders have answered your question about tendering. With your permission i am going to add the following...

Cruise ships have tendering operations down to an exact science so there is no need for you to lose sleep over this. Just remember that for a passenger you keep your sense of humor at all times, that you note where your ship's tender dock is located and...you keep track of the time, and note in your memory the time of the last tender is scheduled to go back to the ship.

It is also (this is just me) a good idea to wear some type of non skid shoes as it can get a little wet on the steps going from the ship to the tender and vice versa. There will be crew members all over to help you on and off the tender....they tend to be short, brown, exceptionally helpful and friendly, and strong as oxes.

Hope that this helps (but if it doesn't, I 'm sure that you'll forgive me).

Fred

• 2 weeks later...
I've been reading all kinds of posts both in this thread and in others, where references are made to a tender port. What is that, and what's the difference between that and others?

Ahh a "Tender Port" is a port in which you are treated with tender loving care where a "regular port" is one where you are treated in a regular manner.. Just messing with you.. The answer to your question has been answered and I could not resist.. Enjoy your cruise...;):D

Archived